Grabovski traded to the Leafs

Habitforming

traded for a 2nd rounder in 2010 and Greg pateryn( a 5th rounder yhis year)

I think he was the compensation fr sundin.

good luck Mik!!

en francais

Edited by marky_and_komi

:P

That is a great deal for the Habs.

The 2nd rounder is for 2010. Greg Pateryn who is only 18 still and a big 6'2 212lbs.

he played for Ohio Junior Blue Jackets....where is Fanpuck, he'll have the scoop

Edited by Habitforming

Greg Pateryn who is only 18 still and a big 6'2 212lbs.

he played for Ohio Junior Blue Jackets....where is Fanpuck, he'll have the scoop

I actually never made it out to any of their games, despite the fact they practically gave away tickets. Can't really explain why.

I actually never made it out to any of their games, despite the fact they practically gave away tickets. Can't really explain why.

I took a shot.... but that's ok... just USHL anyway. ^_^

Well, I'm not surprised that the Habs traded Grabovski. I'm content with the 2nd round pick and the 5th round defenceman, who is scheduled to play for a good hockey program at the University of Michigan this fall. I wasn't sure if he was going to be traded, left in the AHL, or just released to go play in Europe. I think the handwriting was on the wall when he walked out on the team in Phoenix or LA. To me, it shows a sign of immaturity.

I do believe he has the talent to succeed in the NHL, but I'm not sure if he has the commitment to hard work and consistent play to pull it off for a long, successful NHL career. Toronto desperately needs forwards for this upcoming season, so he'll get a legitimate chance to show what he can do; unfortunately, Grabovski will have at least 6 games versus the Habs to show also show what he can do.

One last opinion about Grabo. I still think he's better suited as a winger than a centre; his speed and puck handling are top notch, but his decision making without the puck, and his playmaking skills are poor. He stands a better chance at producing if he's put on the wing.

Edited by habscout

I liked Grabs quite a bit, but I'm not surprised by this.

What I do like is that Gainey is shoring up some of the drafting/developmental depth lost in the Tanguay deal. Good to see that he's still committed to the developmental end of things.

He may do tolerably well in TO, much as Oleg Petrov did in his second go-around with us. But I tend to trust the Habs brain-trust on these sorts of decisions.

The best part of this deal isn't what the Habs got in return, it's what the Leafs gave up.

Toronto gives up: 7th overall pick, a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick, a 5th round pick and another 2nd round pick.

Toronto gets: Schenn and Grabovski

at least they got players that will play in the NHL. one next year while the other one could take a couple of years.

Grabs will add some speed to the Laffs roster for sure. I just hope he doesn't end up burning us, but I guess those odds are pretty slim.

Best of luck!

Grabs will add some speed to the Laffs roster for sure. I just hope he doesn't end up burning us, but I guess those odds are pretty slim.

Best of luck!

Even if he does, he had no spot here. Better to get something for him and let him be good elsewhere than to let him rot. I mean, it's not like he'll help the Leafs beat out Montreal for a playoff spot, haha.

there is something fishy about this trade all in all... i think Gainey and Fletcher both gained with this trade... but in the short term it's the laffs that got better... and why make a team you will face 8 times better? I believe either the Canadiens management want the laffs to get out of their slump for the good of hockey or Gainey and Fletcher have a hidden agenda... I don't doubt for a moment that anyteam other than the laffs would have traded a prospect and a second round pick for Grabovsky.

Grabo is basically Perezhogin 2.0.. lot of potential, but very questionable work ethic. Not the kind of player Bob Gainer really likes. I'm not surpirsed nor sad to see him go.

Even if he does, he had no spot here. Better to get something for him and let him be good elsewhere than to let him rot. I mean, it's not like he'll help the Leafs beat out Montreal for a playoff spot, haha.

From our conversation last night that's one less signing for Bob. Now let's shake Dandy, Boullion :( and Begin and we are set for Shanahan and Sundin. :o

It could work. O.B and Gorges won't cost too much and we'll have some wiggle room. Very little but some.

****whoops forgot about Halak. He is just as whiny as Grabs. I wonder how much Gainey will give him.

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

there is something fishy about this trade all in all... i think Gainey and Fletcher both gained with this trade... but in the short term it's the laffs that got better... and why make a team you will face 8 times better? I believe either the Canadiens management want the laffs to get out of their slump for the good of hockey or Gainey and Fletcher have a hidden agenda... I don't doubt for a moment that anyteam other than the laffs would have traded a prospect and a second round pick for Grabovsky.

First of all, they only face each other 6 times a year now. Add to that the fact that the Leafs have a terrible team right now, and giving them Grabs isn't going to help them get over any humps. So Gainey essentially got good return by sending a player to a team that is extremely unlikely to come back and haunt him in the near future.

From our conversation last night that's one less signing for Bob. Now let's shake Dandy, Boullion :( and Begin and we are set for Shanahan and Sundin. :o

I see no reason to dump Begin. They'd only save a couple hundred thousand in salary by replacing him, which they'd have to do in order to have enough players to carry more than just 20 guys.

Ya the Leafs and the Habs are in complete different worlds right now. Habs want the cup NOW while the Leafs are in for long,painful rebuild unless they somehow pull a Philly.

First of all, they only face each other 6 times a year now. Add to that the fact that the Leafs have a terrible team right now, and giving them Grabs isn't going to help them get over any humps. So Gainey essentially got good return by sending a player to a team that is extremely unlikely to come back and haunt him in the near future.

Bogus!...Six is more than never! e.g. Vancouver etc...) and get good return in the near future?? near future means the leafs got better with this. not worse!

:lol:

Yep, the Habs are on a charity mission to make the Leafs better. I can see that happening.

Anyway, I don't know how much better Grabovski makes the Leafs. A different shade of suck, is all. I guess he might be their #1 centre now by default..

as I think about it now... My original post.. where the real point of idscussion is...I think it might also be a gesture of good will with the Rights trading to the Habs, and as a gesture to Mats that says he is upset with the laffs trading his rights... its like here you go Mats you didnt screw us, were bigger than you, and look were still gonna do buisness without you.

Also, by giving them Grabo could that mean that BG is aiming at taking Fletcher out of the Sundin chase completely?/??? pure speculation...

I don't like this trade very much. Grabovski has been showing steady improvement last year especially when he came back from injury and was scoring 2 points per game with hamilton. I thought he could have been a good replacement on the top 2 lines if plex or koivu got injured. Were looking a little bit thin at centre right now. Hopefully gainey is planning on signing another centre...if not sundin then maybe a good shutdown guy for the 3rd line. Chipchura could also be promoted however id feel more comfortable starting him on the 4th line.

traded for a 2nd rounder in 2010 and Greg pateryn( a 5th rounder yhis year)

I think he was the compensation fr sundin.

good luck Mik!!

en francais

Exactly. My bet is (as it has been all along) that Grabovski was the conditional payment for Sundin. I think they agreed that if Sundin signed after July 1st, we'd send them Grabovski in this deal or in a deal similar to this. I think it's a good move for both teams.

Good riddance. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out Grabovsky!

The Habs need another 5'9", 160 pound centre like I need a sweedish penis enlarger!! :rolleyes:;);):D:clap: :lool:

Not only do we get a high 2nd round pick, but we pick up another big(6'2", 212pds) american d-man who's only 18 years old.

Great move by the Habs!

COuld this be a secret way for Bob to tell all the fans that he's making room down the middle for Sundin? Maybe he came to a secret agreement with Sundin last week while we had his rights. Bob told Mats to take his time, and that when his mind was made up, the Habs organization would embrace him as one of their own!

Edited by Habsfan