Was the Grabovski move a good one?

REV-G

Once again the trade was Grabovski for a second round pick and Greg Pateryn, and regardless of what Gainey did with that pick or what becomes of Pateryn I think this was a fairly good trade for both the Canadiens and the Leafs.

The Canadiens traded an unhappy, unsatisfied, and unproven player with lots of question marks who didn’t fit in their plans anymore, and managed to get a return that gave them a little bit more flexibility and/or depth; considering they were looking for a veteran centre in the event that Sundin wouldn’t sign, the extra bargaining chips were welcome.

As for the Leafs, they are rebuilding and wanted to take a chance on a fairly low-risk, high reward player like Grabovski. He’s done very well at the international level, and dominated at the AHL-level last season, and the Leafs felt he was worth sacrificing some “unknown”. It may work and it may not… but the Leafs are in a situation where they can take that risk, be patient, and work with Grabovski to give him every chance to succeed.

So the Canadiens won't miss Grabovski - and they used the pick to get the veteran they were looking for - while the Leafs are happy to take a chance on him... it looks like a win-win trade to me...

Finally about Grabovski, from what I’ve heard he’s been working hard and despite the lack of points for the first several games, he actually played decently; actually he now has 3G and 1A in his last 5 games. We’re all aware of his offensive potential, and also that he needs time adapt to the NHL, both because of its style and physicality, and I don’t think we can really judge him until next season. This will be his first full season in the NHL, and he’s learning to use his best assets and overcome his limitations; the important thing in his case is that he improves as the season goes along, gets a satisfactory production (at least 35-45 points), and comes back next year stronger and better.

As Ron Wilson mentioned, the important thing for the Leafs this year is not the results on paper, but the way the team plays on the ice… they know Grabovski is a project, and they’re focusing not on points, but on learning and quality.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The slash?

Infinitely more believable than whatever the hell Ribsy was trying to prove.

I’m not sure if you’re referring to his stunt against the Nordiques or the Bruins, both in both cases I think what Kovalev did was a lot worse than Ribeiro faking his injury… Kovalev put his ego before the team both times, letting an opponent go all by himself instead of making additional efforts to prevent that; last time against Boston he even took down Sheldon Souray with him after completely giving up on the play, caring only about his wrist, and not even looking where he was going.

Both times it nearly cost his team the series…

I’ve a lot of players playing through great pain after a nasty hit or getting a slapshot on the foot, limping to maintain their defensive position as well as they physically can... meanwhile Kovalev throws his stick and gloves up in the air and tackles his defenseman who’s trying to fix his mistake…

So holding your wrist is worse than laying on your back and writhing like a gut shot dog? Kicking and screaming and doing the floppy chicken for a full 20 or 30 seconds, then proceeding to smile on the bench, and play out the rest of the game?

So holding your wrist is worse than laying on your back and writhing like a gut shot dog? Kicking and screaming and doing the floppy chicken for a full 20 or 30 seconds, then proceeding to smile on the bench, and play out the rest of the game?

The second part of the vid is what brobin is talking about, and it was pretty bad.

The slash?

Infinitely more believable than whatever the hell Ribsy was trying to prove.

One of the top centres in the league? I assume by "top" you mean top 50 or something, because if you mean top 10 or even 20, I'd have to completely disagree. Top 30 is a large stretch for me as well.

I bet what he was talking about was Kovalev elbowing Hollweg in the face or was it someone else?) after he'd just taken a run at Kovy's knee. The differences between this and Ribeiro's situation are obvious: most notably, Kovalev was standing up for himself and taking care of his own business, much like he did against Tucker. There is a place for that in hockey, even if in this case, it was a minor infraction. Ribeiro writhing on the ice is not any part of hockey, it's just a guy embarassing himself and his teammates, much like Avery allegedly taunting Jason Blake about his leukemia.

As for the time against Boston where he grabbed his wrist, that is a common brand of "acting" which is almost necessary if you want the ref to call the penalty. Every time Price gets touched, he exaggerates and dives to the ice - that's the only time the refs ever call the goaltender interference. Had Kovalev been slashed on the hand and then decided to dive on the ice and make a fool of himself, the two instances could be considered comparable.

I bet what he was talking about was Kovalev elbowing Hollweg in the face or was it someone else?) after he'd just taken a run at Kovy's knee. The differences between this and Ribeiro's situation are obvious: most notably, Kovalev was standing up for himself and taking care of his own business, much like he did against Tucker. There is a place for that in hockey, even if in this case, it was a minor infraction. Ribeiro writhing on the ice is not any part of hockey, it's just a guy embarassing himself and his teammates, much like Avery allegedly taunting Jason Blake about his leukemia.

What about what Kovalev did in New York when he acted like he was completely unconscious after being barely hit in the back (even if he was hurt, that’s not exactly the right reaction to back pain)… he was extremely lucky the referee stopped the play, otherwise he could have cost his team the series.

As for the time against Boston where he grabbed his wrist, that is a common brand of "acting" which is almost necessary if you want the ref to call the penalty. Every time Price gets touched, he exaggerates and dives to the ice - that's the only time the refs ever call the goaltender interference. Had Kovalev been slashed on the hand and then decided to dive on the ice and make a fool of himself, the two instances could be considered comparable.

There is a difference between exaggerating a little, and completely giving up on a play, just skating away even though you had the puck at your own blue line, and carelessly taking down your teammate who’s trying to fix your mistake. He pretty much gave the Bruins a breakaway at a crucial moment in the game and series, and that was unacceptable. Luckily, some guys in the locker room must have put him back in his place because he became a dominant force for the rest of that series, and lead the team with Koivu to the next round.

Grabovski is doing well these days, he now has 5 goals and 2 assists in his last 6 games while being a +1... good for him. It was about time Wilson reunited him with Kulemin and Hagman, a line that developed good chemistry during training camp. Although he plays for Toronto, I hope Grabovski does well.

Edited by CerebusClone

Grabovski is doing well these days, he now has 5 goals and 2 assists in his last 6 games while being a +1... good for him. It was about time Wilson reunited him with Kulemin and Hagman, a line that developed good chemistry during training camp. Although he plays for Toronto, I hope Grabovski does well.

Right on! Looks like all the kid needed was icetime. 2goals and an assist tonight in a losing comeback bid. The kid looks to have a determined character. Guess we'll see how the punk fairs against his old team on Saturday.......I think I'm a little scared.

I think I'm a little scared.

I'm not! If our boys play like we know they can, the Leafs are get a beating(like they did the first time they played against us)!

Must Habs fans always revisit trades? I was happy the Habs received assets for a player that was obviously not destined for the team, especially after his west coast disappearing act last season.

With fantasy everything, it seems the sports world (fans) rates players solely on statistics rather than the effectiveness a player has with their particular team.

What about what Kovalev did in New York when he acted like he was completely unconscious after being barely hit in the back (even if he was hurt, that’s not exactly the right reaction to back pain)… he was extremely lucky the referee stopped the play, otherwise he could have cost his team the series.

There is a difference between exaggerating a little, and completely giving up on a play, just skating away even though you had the puck at your own blue line, and carelessly taking down your teammate who’s trying to fix your mistake. He pretty much gave the Bruins a breakaway at a crucial moment in the game and series, and that was unacceptable. Luckily, some guys in the locker room must have put him back in his place because he became a dominant force for the rest of that series, and lead the team with Koivu to the next round.

This? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sIGNbc_dpws

The replay makes it look like he was hardly touched but you don't know for sure, he might have got hit right at the bottom of the spine. Either way, Kovalev at least left it up for debate - even if he was faking, he went along with it and acted like it was real. That's much better than faking it and then laughing about it to the other team. Kovy had a reputation for diving but I've never seen him do anything that makes me think that he would fake an injury to that extent (what we saw against the Nordiques). But like I said, if he did, he at least managed to save some of his and his teammates' dignity.

Must Habs fans always revisit trades? I was happy the Habs received assets for a player that was obviously not destined for the team, especially after his west coast disappearing act last season.

With fantasy everything, it seems the sports world (fans) rates players solely on statistics rather than the effectiveness a player has with their particular team.

So very true...

I don't really care about what Grabovski as far as the trade is concerned, like I explained before I think it was a good trade for both teams; Montreal got more depth and flexibility (which they used to acquire the big veteran right-handed centre they were looking for) in exchange for an unhappy player who wasn't in their plans while Toronto received a player with intriguing potential that they can afford to be patient with, a player who could perhaps accelerate their reconstruction plans if things go well while not making a big sacrifice in return.

Still, since I followed Grabovski closely over the last few years, I do hope he succeeds. He's got some skills, he works hard, and I hope it pays off.

I don't care what princess grabs did tonite I would still take tanguay over her in a minute. Wait till january when we get another shot at the toronto diving club and the lovely Miss garboffsky

Edited by habs rule

I don't care what princess grabs did tonite I would still take tanguay over her in a minute. Wait till january when we get another shot at the toronto diving club and the lovely Miss garboffsky

Agreed. Even if Grabovski puts up 55-60 points this season, I am glad to see him gone. He would have been a cancer in the dressing room, and he would never have the same amount of ice-time in Montreal (compared to the ice time he's gettin' in Toronto). He is just another smallish centre(we already have two of those) that the Habs don't need at this time!

Edited by Habsfan

Leaf fans are gloating over on the HFboards site.

Apparently he is better than all of our forwards. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I can't wait until they are within playoff range in January and the plan loses focus and the playoffs become the goal.

They are as high after Saturday as alot of you are low. It was one effing game, and 10 games from now nobody will

remember it anymore than we remember the 6-1 whipping a month ago.

Anyone hear the response to the question posed to him by the CBC? "Do you have any friends on the Canadiens?" Pause. "No." I think walking out on your team pretty much burns bridges. I think calling him a dressing room cancer is probably pretty accurate. Koivu certainly gave him a dressing down on the ice at one point.

Anyone hear the response to the question posed to him by the CBC? "Do you have any friends on the Canadiens?" Pause. "No." I think walking out on your team pretty much burns bridges. I think calling him a dressing room cancer is probably pretty accurate. Koivu certainly gave him a dressing down on the ice at one point.

Yeah, 30 years of watching hockey I have never seen a player do that to another player

I don't think he was a dressing room cancer, he just never had any positive influence, he was a neutral/useless factor. That's why we traded him, because he had the potential to become a better player than he would ever be in Montreal (same for Ribs, Theo - who were dressing room cancers).

Grabovski said that he really respected Koivu but that that was the only guy in the Montreal dressing room he had any respect for. It's a funny comment, you'd have thought he would have been friends with the Kostitsyns at least. Grabovski hardly speaks any English (he uses Ponikarovsky as a translator), how well can he know Koivu?