Game thread for tonight

JoeLassister

That's a gross, gross, gross exaggeration. It happened a few times, when the so-called "best players" had done nothing but pick their asses all game long.

That's the type of "argument" that cracks me up sometimes. You want the coach to be hard on Kovy, bench him, scratch him, because he's not producing; and bitch on the coach for not being as hard on the big names as he is on the muckers... but then when the coach doesnt put the lazy big names on the PP you bitch some more.

It's getting ridiculous, really. The straw that broke the camel's back? Those straws were those the coach was grasping at because no matter what he did fans would always find a way to bitch.

I agree in a way. If your 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines arent producing apparently going with the 4th line is the wrong answer.

However why are the 1st 2nd and 3rd lines not producing? I've been asking this for a while, and nobody had an answer, but what did Carbo have them practising? Before the Atl game he just skated them around in circles, and I think this was 1 of his usual routines, only he skated them extra hard that day.

The best thng aboot tonights game is this: they were "emotionaly engaged". :lol:

Its been a while since the Habs actually came from behind in the 3rd and came out with 2 pts. I'm pretty sure in the Habs last 4 game win streak they were winning the game and held on. Its harder to come from behind and win in the 3rd period. That takes effort and emotion. Bob will get them to care again. This game shows that. The Habs wanted to win tonight.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd period aside, I liked what I saw tonight. The Habs are still a work in progress, but we appear to be headed in the right direction.

Some specific observations :

Gainey knows who to trust, when to trust them, how to use the, how to keep them at their best.

Just back from NHL.com scoresheet.

-Koivu played NO time at all shorthanded. Gainey kept him fresh for what we really need him, offense. and it worked. his 19mins turned up into 2 goals. Also, even strenght and PP playing time is way less exhausting than SH playing time.

-Gainey didn't want to try any experiment with 2nd pairing of Dmen on the PP... Markov and Schneider were there for the whole 4:50 of PP time.

-Komisarek still got no hit, not takeaway and 2 giveaway :( I just hope he can turn it over at some point... if he doesn't, we're cooked in the playoffs.

-Chris Higgins got 6 shots on nets, further decreasing his sniping % last I checked he was at 7.55% success on his shot. I just hope he can turn it over at some point... if he doesn't, we're cooked in the playoffs.

-Tanguay, that's no stats, was a beast on the ice. hitting, skating like the wind... That guy is our best forward next season. :P

Not a must-have game, but great to get that 1st win out of the way. Happy to see better overall effort under Gainey, except for that lethargic 2nd.......guess old habits die hard. One more thing, I can't wait for Latendresse to get back, I think it'll do a lot for the overall energy of this team.

-Chris Higgins got 6 shots on nets, further decreasing his sniping % last I checked he was at 7.55% success on his shot. I just hope he can turn it over at some point... if he doesn't, we're cooked in the playoffs.

Higgins will go up and replace Dago on the 1st line with Plex & Kovy once Lats comes back. Either Plex gets Higgy going again (they always did well together) or Higgins writes himself a ticket out of town.

I have to believe Komi is playing hurt, or in a grand funk. I don't think he was under performing due to Carbo.

If you look at the under performers who suddenly found their game last night, it was the senior core vets (Koivu, Kovalev, Hammer). Meanwhile, Pleks, the 4 line, most of the kids, even Price, have been playing hard when the team started sliding. Many have struggled, but that didn't seem to have anything to do with Carbo. Price has been coming back for several games now.

I really wonder what that team only meeting was about. They sure didn't play any better afterwords.

Tanguay is a heck of a player. He makes his linemates better, plain and simple. I get the feeling that if he had come back sooner from injury (or at least on schedule, instead of 3 weeks behind), Carbo would still have a job.

Tanguay is a heck of a player. He makes his linemates better, plain and simple. I get the feeling that if he had come back sooner from injury (or at least on schedule, instead of 3 weeks behind), Carbo would still have a job.

That is true. If you think about it, both Tanguay and Price getting better are a week too late for Carbo, but it was happening.

Tanguay is finally shaking off the rust and can hopefully go on a good run now. Keep your fingers crossed on his shoulder!

That is true. If you think about it, both Tanguay and Price getting better are a week too late for Carbo, but it was happening.

Tanguay is finally shaking off the rust and can hopefully go on a good run now. Keep your fingers crossed on his shoulder!

That's 3 points in 3 games for Tanguay...keep it up!

Well last nights game was a sum of the years work, 1 solid period, 1 period where they only had 2 shots on goal and somehow winding up with some points.

Does anyone what Komi is doing out there? He look slike the reincarnation of Rivet. Although Rivet would get the occaisional shot through.

The pluggers killed penalties, the skilled guys worked the PP. The Koivu line was allright, I wasn't overly impressed, it was the same good and bad as all year.

It will be interesting to see what goes down the rest of the year.

Weird how Pacioretty didn't play, he and Kosto were the ONLY 2 players who gave it there all every shift.

Just a tip to the D, it's ok to clear the front of the net, use your body if you have to, it prevents rebounds from being tapped in.