Game thread for tonight

JoeLassister

I want to know what Gainey said or did to make Koivu come out of coma...

Probably threatened to rip the C off of his chest if he didn't get his ass in gear...Bob's probably one of those guys who can make a vicious threat while keeping his voice monotone and at barely a whisper

I suspect he said "hey, I fired the coach for you, so you can show up now..."

...or that :lol:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we will look back at this game as the turning point in the season, write that down!

Thank you Van Wilder. :P

(Top 10 movie, ever.)

So, 10 lousy second period minutes. Okay. (I know, some will complain that it was the whole second, but it wasn't. They played solidly for about ten minutes; shots were 7-0 for the Oil but they were all perimeter shots. Montreal played well enough defensively for those ten minutes, they just didn't make anything happen in the offensive zone.) Other than that, a more concerted effort all the way around. Looked like players cared out there.

As, I think it was, sbhatt said: go to the net and reap your reward. Right now the two players about whom I'm most concerned in that respect are D'Ago (understandable to a degree since he's a kid) and Kostitsyn - who moves the puck before anyone gets near him. He, in particular, has to make things happen. He has all the skill, now go DO something with it.

Somewhat better game defensively, but I think that has to be considered a work in progress. I think the biggest notable this game was the obvious confidence boost in Price's game. We've been waiting for him to really assist the team in taking one here and there, and he came up with some big stops tonight.

I am not impressed yet. People forget they won the last game with Carbo too. this was a home game, against a weak opponent, with their GM behind the bench... This was too close to plan the parade.

This looked no different then a lot of their games this year.. solid first, no second, start playing late to get a point...

The true story will be how they play in about 10 games or so.

That was a scary game. I had money on that one. All the Oilers fans here have been driving me nuts. I was hoping for a blowout, but I'll take the 50 bucks and tell them all their team sucks! :clap::clap:

I love how the top two lines played in the first and third. Wasn't impressed with D'ago. I hope Pacioretty is on the Kovy line next game.

Same old Habs IMO. Came out solid in the first, vanished in the 2nd, then realized they should probably start playing again in the third.

That's why I'm not getting my panties wet as some are doing now... Nothing looked different, except Koivu finally playing like should have been. He basically had to, after quitting on Carbo and getting his head. Pressure is on him and Kovy to prove their are right.

Regardless... I'll repeat: for things to really change, they'll need to pack a couple of solid, convincing wins together. Not just the win-lose-win-lose roller-coaster ride they've been accustomed to all season long

That's why I'm not getting my panties wet as some are doing now... Nothing looked different, except Koivu finally playing like should have been. He basically had to, after quitting on Carbo and getting his head. Pressure is on him and Kovy to prove their are right.

Regardless... I'll repeat: for things to really change, they'll need to pack a couple of solid, convincing wins together. Not just the win-lose-win-lose roller-coaster ride they've been accustomed to all season long

Yeah, not to mention.. its the oilers.. they look like the habs.. play 20 minutes, terrible turn overs...

I want to see how we play some eastern conference teams. Given how tight it is, we need to win many of those battles.

I suspect he said "hey, I fired the coach for you, so you can show up now..."

Something along those lines. Or maybe "You went over my head. You whined to Mr. Gillet. I expect your apologies. Goals will do."

I want to see how we play some eastern conference teams. Given how tight it is, we need to win many of those battles.

Well, can't get too many of those 3 points game vs Eastern Conferences.

3-1 win vs Dallas, 4-3 vs Edmonton. At least we're getting the goals-against down without Halak. Still think Price was weak on the 1st and 3rd goal. He still needs to buckle down better than that. Might be one of the reasons Lever was brought up.

Anyway, something to build on. We're staying in the playoff picture.

:clap: Youhoooo!! Halak Molson Cup february winner YYYYEEEEEEEEES

!!!!! :clap::clap::clap: +

And... Saku welcome in 2009 glad to see yo here you weren't expected, but there is leftovers,

a lot of people here still believe in you...i'll let you a couple of over aged eggs sandwichs and

some hard cupcakes...hope you understand we've been a long time...

You're more optimistic than me.

How many times have the Habs played one of these great game, just to come out completely flat and lifeless the next game?

The turning point will be when the Habs can get a winning streak going AND play convincingly as a group. Not the Halak-stands-on-his-head-while-the-rest-of-the-team-sleeps winning streak.

1.Still took a mid 3rd period goal and an OT PP to win this one. When they start dominating for 60 mins, maybe then you can get your hopes up...

2.I want to know what Gainey said or did to make Koivu come out of coma...

1. You can't expect a team to change magically overnight; Bob took over yesterday; at least Bob put his best players on the ice in a timely manner (PP's , OT)

2. " If you don't wake the f... up, I'll shoot another commercial for St-Hubert "

Edited by rafikz

Damn, Florida and Pitts had a 3 point game.. philly won.. still too tight.

Buffalo is trying to shoot themselvse in the foot, though, so that's potentially one less team to worry about.

1. You can't expect a team to change magically overnight; at least Gainey put his best players on the ice in a timely fashion (PP's , OT)

I dont get that. Kovy-Koivu-Markov-Schneider. That's the same guys that were on the ice in the Philly OT game. Same guys who wasted tons of powerplays too. Difference wasnt that they were on the ice or not, difference is that they didnt f*ck it up this time.

There's a lot to do with confidence and willingness to pay the price, to give the extra effort. Tanguay in the lineup also gives a new face to this team. He is so smart! Now, hopefully Latendresse can have a good impact as well when he comes back.

I dont get that. Kovy-Koivu-Markov-Schneider. That's the same guys that were on the ice in the Philly OT game. Same guys who wasted tons of powerplays too. Difference wasnt that they were on the ice or not, difference is that they didnt f*ck it up this time.

Yeah but before the Philly game, our PP with Shneider was amazing

You will never convince them Kozed. Carbo put Metro on a 5-3 for a right hand shot once and now they all exaggerate it.

They conveniently forget that Carbo put these lines together in Dallas and won too...

The difference was at least for much of the game, the players put out more effort. That is good, but I still have a lingering bad feeling it won't last.

If Gainey has any real magic, I hope he uses it on Komi and Hammer....

it is time to start the bob has to go thread cause they only won in ot. this team is much better than that . we must win by 5 or 6 goals every game or the coach has to be fired so sorry bob you are on your way out, and also i dont think we called a time out dammit. for sure he is gone now. Carbo is probably the only coach to win his last 5 out of 7 and get fired it is amazing> :excl: :ghg:

Edited by habs rule

it is time to start the bob has to go thread cause they only won in ot. this team is much better than that . we must win by 5 or 6 goaks every game a coach has to be fired so sorry bob you are on your way out, and also i dont think we called a time out dammit. for sure he is gone now. Carbi is probably the only coach to win his last 5 out of 7 and get fired it is amazing> :excl: :ghg:

Did you forget about Julien in NJ? Best record in the East despite a crappy offense, fired just before the playoffs

And Denis Savard's firing was brutal

Why do people think that kind of stuff happens only in MTL ?

Edited by rafikz

You will never convince them Kozed. Carbo put Metro on a 5-3 for a right hand shot once and now they all exaggerate it.

They conveniently forget that Carbo put these lines together in Dallas and won too...

That's not it, the metro thing was the straw that broke the camels back. Carbo had been doing it all year, playing guys like begin, kostopoulos and dandenault in key offensive situations. Occasionally is fine, but it was a regularity to see these guys playing on key power plays, late in games when we needed a goal to tie, or in OT. When the game is on the line I expect to see Koivu, Kovalev, Kostitsyn, Tanguay, etc. not 4th line defensive energy guys.

I know, I know. I know full well what the majority of Habs fans on the Net thinks: Gainey = God. Price = Jesus. Koivu = Moses, Any French coach or player = suspicious beneficiary of affirmative action. I've been around the Habs forums long enough to see the monolithic mindset those opinions are originating from. Carbo = crap is just one more of those.

But dont forget that we've got tons of "lurkers" that dont post, dont side with a certain argument, keep an open mind. They just read to get informed and make their own opinion. That's who I write for most of the time.

The difference was at least for much of the game, the players put out more effort. That is good, but I still have a lingering bad feeling it won't last.

Well the one difference I saw in the first was that forwards were attacking in a tight group rather than being spread out. But that didnt last. This team has serious consistency issues, from a shift to another, from a period to another, from a game to another. And they date way back before Carbo, before Julien, before Gainey.

I'm not sure Gainey can fix it in a handful of games. Even if he does, you can almost bet your last dollar the problem will resurface under a new coach. That's the pattern. Its a deep habit. It'd take a full season, maybe two. We're talking about an entire bench & lockerroom culture that has to be radically changed. Gainey's not really helping by coming down to coach for a second time. Just sends the messsage to the players that Grampa Bob will come down with lollipops and kiss their booboos when Daddy Coach is too stern with them.

That's not it, the metro thing was the straw that broke the camels back. Carbo had been doing it all year, playing guys like begin, kostopoulos and dandenault in key offensive situations. Occasionally is fine, but it was a regularity to see these guys playing on key power plays, late in games when we needed a goal to tie, or in OT. When the game is on the line I expect to see Koivu, Kovalev, Kostitsyn, Tanguay, etc. not 4th line defensive energy guys.

That's a gross, gross, gross exaggeration. It happened a few times, when the so-called "best players" had done nothing but pick their asses all game long.

That's the type of "argument" that cracks me up sometimes. You want the coach to be hard on Kovy, bench him, scratch him, because he's not producing; and bitch on the coach for not being as hard on the big names as he is on the muckers... but then when the coach doesnt put the lazy big names on the PP you bitch some more.

It's getting ridiculous, really. The straw that broke the camel's back? Those straws were those the coach was grasping at because no matter what he did fans would always find a way to bitch.

The difference between Carbo and Gainey is that Carbo lost the room and Gainey hasn't. Not complicated, really.

It will take a few games for Gainey's system to sink in. He hasn't even had a proper practice with the team yet, for heaven's sake. They won this one on desire and emotion, and hopefully in a few games they will be winning because they're now actually listening to the coach.

(Other random thoughts: I thought Hammer played a MUCH better game overall. That suggests he was one of those guys who was playing to get Carbo fired.

Great for Koivu, but my - he's lost a step if you ask me. First game where I really notice that he doesn't have that extra gear. That's a bit ominous going forward.)

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

That's a gross, gross, gross exaggeration. It happened a few times, when the so-called "best players" had done nothing but pick their asses all game long.

For sure. At no point this year were Begin, Dandy, or Kosto playing consistently on one of the top two lines.