Michael Sabia - Habs coach language related

alexstream

The point is is that you can't put together a great team, coach and all, and expect to be a contender every year anymore. Just gotta cross your fingers.

That was exactly Carbo's words on that program on last Sunday.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your attitude of 'you guys don't understand Quebec at all so just shut up' is pretty moronic and not constructive. But it's pretty common in this province.

lol, why, cause you think Qc is like every other place?

yah right... coaching in Qc is just like coaching in Nashville or Tokyo.

:rolleyes:

Actually, hiring a non-Francophone, no matter his pedigree, might be a positive thing. The media would spend so much time focusing on the coach, the spotlight on the players would be dimmed significantly and they might actually be able to concentrate on hockey.

LOL,

right though. I'd like a "spectacular" coach... not for the show itself, but so that he's always the big thing... and the players are the 2nd news.

e.g.

-he gets expelled from games.

-make shocking statements about the press, the opposition, etc.

LOL,

right though. I'd like a "spectacular" coach... not for the show itself, but so that he's always the big thing... and the players are the 2nd news.

e.g.

-he gets expelled from games.

-make shocking statements about the press, the opposition, etc.

Yeah, this is the team we need :

Owner : mark_cuban.jpg

President : vm.jpg

General Manager : 11233-17554.gif

Head Coach : knight.jpg

:lol:

Then why were you quoting me?

I was ticked that you felt the need to tell me to speak english, when I was speaking to francophone(Alexstream). It's not like most of my posts are in french. just this once i posted in french and you HAD to remind me that this is an english forum!

Edited by Habsfan

I was ticked that you felt the need to tell me to speak english, when I was speaking to francophone(Alexstream). It's not like most of my posts are in french. just this once i posted in french and you HAD to remind me that this is an english forum!

But you aren't talking only to Alex, everyone else on the board can be a part of the conversation.

yeah, but that's fanpuck ;)

You don't see me going to the French forum speaking English. It's common courtesy. Seriously, it wasn't supposed to be a big deal.

It's not a big deal until David B. rolls eyes.

You don't see me going to the French forum speaking English...

It's not a big deal until David B. rolls eyes.

Yup that's when the bells sound. Actually there are frequently tête carrée on the franco board, they go to score pot, nobody complains.

True, but if the coach were to lead the habs to the promised land, i think his lack of french would be overlooked by most fans.

Like it or not, but no. It wouldnt be overlooked. The vast majority would still expect him to at least learn/speak minimal French.

There's already a large contingent of fans who resent Saku for spending 15 years here and still not being able to say one sentence in French, for many having a coach also unable to speak French would be viewed as another slap in the face from an organization too willing to take their money yet not being willing to give them a team that represents the city/province that they can identify with, which is intrinsic to the whole Habs mystique in the eyes of the majority of Habs fans. 

Yup that's when the bells sound. Actually there are frequently tête carrée on the franco board, they go to score pot, nobody complains.

Guys, I'd like to appologize to Fanpuck. I over reacted and went a little too far!

Let's move on! :clap:

Edited by Habsfan

Like it or not, but no. It wouldnt be overlooked. The vast majority would still expect him to at least learn/speak minimal French.

There's already a large contingent of fans who resent Saku for spending 15 years here and still not being able to say one sentence in French, for many having a coach also unable to speak French would be viewed as another slap in the face from an organization too willing to take their money yet not being willing to give them a team that represents the city/province that they can identify with, which is intrinsic to the whole Habs mystique in the eyes of the majority of Habs fans. 

Yes I know that there's a large contingent that would accept nothing less than a francophone head coach, and I used to be one of those people, but after 15 years of mediocrity, I want to see the BEST guy available for the job. I'd rather win with an anglophone coach than lose with a francophone coach!

Felipe Alou was coach of the Expos for 10 years. He married a Québecois woman and apparently spoke french at home, but always did his interviews in English!

Like I said, I'd like to have a bilingual coach, but if there's a better one out there who speaks english only, I wouldn't mind!

I wanna be able to go on Ste-Catherine street with my buddies and cry while the stanley cup passes by...like I did when i was 17 years old!

Edited by Habsfan

Yes I know that there's a large contingent that would accept nothing less than a francophone head coach, and I used to be one of those people, but after 15 years of mediocrity, I want to see the BEST guy available for the job. I'd rather win with an anglophone coach than lose with a francophone coach!

Felipe Alou was coach of the Expos for 10 years. He married a Québecois woman and apparently spoke french at home, but always did his interviews in English!

Like I said, I'd like to have a bilingual coach, but if there's a better one out there who speaks english only, I wouldn't mind!

I wanna be able to go on Ste-Catherine street with my buddies and cry while the stanley cup passes by...like I did when i was 17 years old!

I don't know man, it's the whole Maurice Richard thing.

l'Histoire d'un peuple you know.

I don't know man, it's the whole Maurice Richard thing.

l'Histoire d'un peuple you know.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. My father lived in this city in the 70's and had to endure a shitload of crap...but that was the past. I think that for the sake of winning, it would be worth moving on a little! You make sure Donald Beauchamp or someone else is on stage with the coach during the press conferences to translate!

I'm not sayinig we should forget the past, but I wanna see a winning Habs team, not another 15 years of mediocrity!

Actually Saku speaks pretty good french, but chooses not to in public, which is his right.

Actually Saku speaks pretty good french, but chooses not to in public, which is his right.

My understanding is that he doesnt really speak it well but he understands it well. Mark Recchi spilled the beans a year or so ago. He's a good friend with Saku and they learned some French together, enough so they could understand what the journalists were saying in the locker room (while pretending not to understand).

Speaking of which, funny anecdote told to me from an accointance who was at the 2009 QMJHL award show some while ago. Drummondville's Russian rookie defenseman Dmitry Kulikov received a bunch of trophies. For the first one he received he gave a little speech in English, but for the last one he made a speech in French. The guy that told me the story said at some table near his some guy quipped (in French) "Nice, he spoke French" and another retorted "He's only 18 yrs old and he's aleady 15 years ahead of Saku Koivu!". :lol:

My understanding is that he doesnt really speak it well but he understands it well. Mark Recchi spilled the beans a year or so ago. He's a good friend with Saku and they learned some French together, enough so they could understand what the journalists were saying in the locker room (while pretending not to understand).

Speaking of which, funny anecdote told to me from an accointance who was at the 2009 QMJHL award show some while ago. Drummondville's Russian rookie defenseman Dmitry Kulikov received a bunch of trophies. For the first one he received he gave a little speech in English, but for the last one he made a speech in French. The guy that told me the story said at some table near his some guy quipped (in French) "Nice, he spoke French" and another retorted "He's only 18 yrs old and he's aleady 15 years ahead of Saku Koivu!". :lol:

At the Q ceremony, Rejean Tremblay was there and he was hearing lots of coaches and GMs saying "no danger for such and such player to be drafted by the Habs, he's french speaking / is coming from the Q"... lots of jokes about Timmins and Gainey not liking "homeboys".

(which before that, had been disproved by Mathias Brunet : showing that under Timmins up to now, we've drafted more % of french speaking players than, e.g. under AS)