[Game Thread] New York Islanders @ MONTREAL CANADIENS

KoZed

Anyone else nptice how effective Moen is at taking people out of the play? He doesn't hit to crush the guy, but uses good body position and sort of rubs the guy out, so he is completely away from the play. I like him way more than Kostopolous. And I really liked Kosto a lot.

Edited by BCHabnut

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else nptice how effective Moen is at taking people out of the play? He doesn't hit to crush the guy, but uses good body position and sort of rubs the guy out, so he is completely away from the play.

Good point. Moen was a quietly great signing.

Gill does the same thing quite a bit - in his case quietly removing guys from around the crease. Regrettably people only seem to notice his gaffes.

Good point. Moen was a quietly great signing.

Gill does the same thing quite a bit - in his case quietly removing guys from around the crease. Regrettably people only seem to notice his gaffes.

I think Gill is doinga hell of a job. He is a 6th or 7th defenseman. Him and Mara have really impressed. When he left the front of the net to help his D partner, that is exactly what happened to Pronger on the Draper goal that knocked the Ducks out of the playoffs last year. Sometimes it is helpful, and other times you get stung. I honestly haven't seen too many huge gaffes out of him. He's better than the cube or breezer. Gill is slow, but plays in a way that he is effective. Ogre like but effective.

Spacek had a much better game today too. It's funny that the good defensive plays he made were on the left side of the ice.

That was a text book saucer pass to the tape... highlight of the night when seen in slow motion.

Hamrlik referred to the pass as a "Czech Sausage" ^_^

Our OT performances make me think about 1993...

That's what I posted after the Toronto and Buffalo games

People thought I was crazy ^_^

Edited by rafikz

Anyone else nptice how effective Moen is at taking people out of the play? He doesn't hit to crush the guy, but uses good body position and sort of rubs the guy out, so he is completely away from the play. I like him way more than Kostopolous. And I really liked Kosto a lot.

Also he scares defenseman when he hits them

So later in games they make mistakes when they know he is on the ice.

I'm not sure if they were tired or took the Isle's too lightly. They didn't play poorly, just not great. They had there moments. When the top isn't buzzing it's going to be tough to score.

The grinders, 3rd and 4th liners were all pretty good excpet AK46. I don't understand the obsession with the skating behind the net, then turning it over. GO TO THE NET. That's how you at least draw some penalties.

Took way too many penalties, otherwise a solid effort. They need to start winning these games in regulation, they are giving teams extra points.

I'm sure they'll be better Wed.

I'm not sure if they were tired or took the Isle's too lightly. They didn't play poorly, just not great. They had there moments. When the top isn't buzzing it's going to be tough to score.

The grinders, 3rd and 4th liners were all pretty good excpet AK46. I don't understand the obsession with the skating behind the net, then turning it over. GO TO THE NET. That's how you at least draw some penalties.

Took way too many penalties, otherwise a solid effort. They need to start winning these games in regulation, they are giving teams extra points.

I'm sure they'll be better Wed.

AK has definitely caught the same disease Pleks had last year.. afraid to go to where anyone else is.. usually the net. He skates around in open ice and as soon as someone challenges him he either dumps it or coughs it up..

He reminds me of a little kids soccer game.. most kids just following the crowd around hoping the ball doesn't come near them... lol

The team is coming around. Pacioretty already looks much better than he did in the first game of the season.

I thought Halak was shaky again, but Martin showed us yesterday that his policy was win-and-you're-in. It will be interesting to see who gets Toronto and who gets Chicago.

The team is coming around. Pacioretty already looks much better than he did in the first game of the season.

I thought Halak was shaky again, but Martin showed us yesterday that his policy was win-and-you're-in. It will be interesting to see who gets Toronto and who gets Chicago.

Halak looked shaky??? Not sure what you were seeing, but he looked calm and collected back there to me.

Halak looked shaky??? Not sure what you were seeing, but he looked calm and collected back there to me.

His rebound control is a problem...

He allows big rebounds off shots from outside the blueline.

First, I have to say that I'm definitely not a Halak fan. That being said he allowed some big rebounds again yesterday, it's true.

BUT, I think he allowed MUCH fewer big rebounds than what we're used to see from him. The rebounds were given in situations where there was no real danger around.

I think he did a great job in controlling them yesterday and hope he can keep it like that in the future.

First, I have to say that I'm definitely not a Halak fan. That being said he allowed some big rebounds again yesterday, it's true.

BUT, I think he allowed MUCH fewer big rebounds than what we're used to see from him. The rebounds were given in situations where there was no real danger around.

I think he did a great job in controlling them yesterday and hope he can keep it like that in the future.

Agreed. The few he sent out were huge and directed away from people. It is short rebounds to the slot the are worse, in my opinion.

That said, the vast majority of shots from the point he had in the old bread basket... perfect stops, no rebounds, nice butterfly.

I also noticed he didn't screw around with the puck behind his net, lesson learned I guess. :)

Our OT performances make me think about 1993...

The one-goal games are scaring the hell out of me. I like the look of the team, but it's really easy for tie games to go the other way. Teams that win a lot of one goal games tend to be due for a correction later in the year. Hopefully the 2nd line comes together and/or Markov comes back before some of the luck runs out.

They play like the devils. They actually scare me less then last years bunch. They have the ability to bounce back from bad breaks, late goals, blown leads etc.

It's been a long time since you can say that.

I agree with BTH that Halak is somewhat erratic in controlling rebounds, and I have no problem with going back to Price, who I think is on balance the better goalie. Having said that, there's a lot to like about a policy of 'win and you're in' (unless you play quite poorly, in which case you should be out regardless). Part of what Martin is doing is getting rid of Country Club Canadiens, and the idea that ice-time is not consistently tied to performance (hi there, Kovalev). There's no reason in principle why that shouldn't apply to goalies as well.

On the other hand, 'win and you're in' applied too rigidly ends up punishing goalies for lousy team play. I'm sorry, but there is no WAY the team played as well defensively in those losses that Price suffered. Right now Price is a bit of a victim of his team's growing pains, as well as his own inability to be superhuman behind a team that gave up catastrophic breakdowns. He also faced better teams, by and large. So putting him back in seems fair.

More broadly, though, I've never seen anything wrong with Halak as a #1A guy and I've never seen why Price *has* to be like Luongo, playing 75 games a season. Roy had a #1A for years in Brian Hayward and it helped his development. Plus, playing a moderate number of games may mean less wear-and-tear on Price's body and thus fewer injuries over time. One of the nice things about this little run by Halak is that it might get everyone involved accustomed to the idea of Halak as a bona-fide #1A guy on the team. With that idea established, we may be able to avoid ridiculous 'goalie controversies' later on in the season when the pressure is greater and distractions more costly.

The one-goal games are scaring the hell out of me. I like the look of the team, but it's really easy for tie games to go the other way. Teams that win a lot of one goal games tend to be due for a correction later in the year. Hopefully the 2nd line comes together and/or Markov comes back before some of the luck runs out.

Yep, I wish we could start to score a big goal with less than 1 min to go instead of going in OT. But, I feel like we have the kind of team that can be a force in 4 on 4 OT. That's a good thing.

Yep, I wish we could start to score a big goal with less than 1 min to go instead of going in OT. But, I feel like we have the kind of team that can be a force in 4 on 4 OT. That's a good thing.

4 on 4 = more room for creative speed guys which is a lot of what we have.

???????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What game were you watching?

He improved his rebound control 10 fold. He received tons of far away shot that he just "swallowed", the others he directed to the sides far away. Sending big rebounds to the boards is what a goalie is supposed to do if he cant absorb it. A real rebound problem is to allow rebounds to go straight in the slot or in an opposing player's direction.

It was a hard game for a goalie last night. The Isles werent attacking a lot and getting few shots on goals, but a ton of those shots where scoring chances out of nowhere or deflections through traffic. It's a tough game for a goalie to keep his concentration.

True. I guess there are no rebounds when the puck is in the net!!!

His save percentage is .910 which is only good enough for 22nd in the NHL

(http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470860&view=stats#&navid=nhl-keymatch)

But contrast this with Price's .886, good for 43rd.

(http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471679)

This btw is comparable to what Price accomplished in the 2nd half of last year and into the playoffs.

But the Price defenders are coming out of the woodwork. I wasn't surprised to see someone write that "the team didn't play as well in Price's games." Sorry but we outshot the other team in 3 of his losses.

I say kudos to Martin for playing the guy who *deserves* to be playing based on performance. If Price is to get playing time, let him *earn* it. I have no problem anointing him number 1, *if his play merits it.* I harbour no favouritism to either goalie aside from being prejudiced towards the guy who is playing better.

Toe Blake had the best system when he had 2 good goalies: a guy played until the team lost; then the other guy went in. And before you slam this system, don't forget that we're talking about Toe Blake here, one of the greatest coaches in NHL history.

I keep saying this time after time after time: we are *not* the Carey Price developmental team; we are the Montreal Canadiens whose sole goal is to win a Stanley Cup.

geez jackp relax before you blow a blood vessel. We all got your point, some of us may see more upside in Price than Halak. I think that we are truly fortunate to have 2 young goalies who can carry the mail.

geez jackp relax before you blow a blood vessel. We all got your point, some of us may see more upside in Price than Halak. I think that we are truly fortunate to have 2 young goalies who can carry the mail.

Blood vessels are fine... :lol: But thanks for your concern...

I'd like to see a competition between jackp and Sir Boagalott on who can spam more topics with their respective crusades; jackp on why Price should sit until he's a superstar, and Sir Boagalott on why NCAA players shouldn't ever be drafted never ever ever AHHHHHH!!!!

(Actually Boag, I like some of your arguments on why NCAA players should be shunned until later rounds, but man it's getting tiresome to read why over and over and over.)