Next one to be recalled

JCPetit

I'm excited to see Pouliot tonight. I have very high hopes for him, I know he has had a lackluster career thus far, but he was playing in a very defensive minded system, and it's very obvious that Martin does not have the same type of system in place when you consider our shots on goal per game. I think he'll be given the green light and he is exactly what Gomez needs to get back on track. The pressure of Montreal may be a very good thing for him as well, as he cannot slack off and not hear it from the media like he could in Minnesota. I think he'll either flourish or be a complete bust, I don't think he'll end up sticking around as a 3rd/4th line player.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited to see Pouliot tonight. I have very high hopes for him, I know he has had a lackluster career thus far, but he was playing in a very defensive minded system, and it's very obvious that Martin does not have the same type of system in place when you consider our shots on goal per game. I think he'll be given the green light and he is exactly what Gomez needs to get back on track. The pressure of Montreal may be a very good thing for him as well, as he cannot slack off and not hear it from the media like he could in Minnesota. I think he'll either flourish or be a complete bust, I don't think he'll end up sticking around as a 3rd/4th line player.

I share your feeling. It's either a great move or a bust. But from what I have seen, I think that Gainey will look like a genius. Hope so anyway.

Go Big Ben!

When you look at his stats, you get the feeling that he is very close to being ready. He's got 6 goals, 10 assists in 30 games, most of them in the last 20 games I would bet. He is the team leader at +15, so he obviously doesn't make too many costly mistakes when he is on the ice. IMO, another 20 games or so and he will be ready. No sense to let him finish the season at Hamilton if he can help at Montreal.

Leave the kid to develop.

How many times have the Habs rushed players to the NHL only to hurt their development?

IMHO they have rushed Price, Latendresse, Sergei Kostsytsin, O'Byrne, Chipchura in recent years...it may not seem like it for Chipchura but he should have been left in Hamilton the last 2 years so he could get top line time as a C...he'd be better on the draw and his offense would have developed further.

How many guys have been allowed to develop in the minors with the Habs in the last decade? Ryder? And only because he went through the ECHL. Any others?

There are a couple that I think we're letting develop now...Trotter and Maxwell are an example...and I bet they come into the NHL as ready contributors. Of course, neither of these kids is expected to be more then a 3rd line type...

Let's take a page from Detroit's player development model and be patient. Not only will we develop more players fully, we'll actually hold their rights during their prime years...a key issue in the salary cap world.

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of a surprise (to me at least), but Mathieu Darche has been recalled. Of all the offensive players to choose from, he wouldn't have been anywhere close to my first choice - I guess 12 points in 6 games (Trotter) doesn't warrant much consideration nowadays.

A bit of a surprise (to me at least), but Mathieu Darche has been recalled. Of all the offensive players to choose from, he wouldn't have been anywhere close to my first choice - I guess 12 points in 6 games (Trotter) doesn't warrant much consideration nowadays.

It's a political move

They call up a french guy to ease the mind of Habs fans, since we are on a losing streak (unless Trotter is a local boy too) ^_^

Edited by rafikz

It's a political move

They call up a french guy to ease the mind of Habs fans (unless Trotter is a local boy too) ^_^

Why not Desharnais then? His numbers (PPG wise at least) are better as well. Darche has been very quiet lately with the Bulldogs, this one caught me off guard. On the plus side, he's offensive minded at least...there must be some merit to the Pouliot injury reports though.

Why not Desharnais then? His numbers (PPG wise at least) are better as well. Darche has been very quiet lately with the Bulldogs, this one caught me off guard. On the plus side, he's offensive minded at least...there must be some merit to the Pouliot injury reports though.

Why not Desharnais?

Because it's the Habs; they defy logic

In fact, Habs have suc ha winning tradition that Gainey and Co thought it would be a good idea to try something different: not winning

Why not Desharnais?

Because it's the Habs; they defy logic

In fact, Habs have suc ha winning tradition that Gainey and Co thought it would be a good idea to try something different: not winning

I suspect it may have something to do with opportunity - with Pouliot hurt and Sergei not ready to go yet, it creates an emergency callup situation. Darche normally has to clear re-entry waivers but due to this does not (I think). This may be the lone opportunity to promote him without risk, so it makes some sense in that regard.

I suspect it may have something to do with opportunity - with Pouliot hurt and Sergei not ready to go yet, it creates an emergency callup situation. Darche normally has to clear re-entry waivers but due to this does not (I think). This may be the lone opportunity to promote him without risk, so it makes some sense in that regard.

I agree; let's see what the kid can do

I hope Pouliot injury is not serious. I was not glad to see him trade punches with a Ranger player the other night. At least, he did not look bad as a fighter.

Edited by JCPetit

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=306832

" The line of Gionta, Scott Gomez and winger Benoit Pouliot has been clicking well for the Canadiens, though there was a bit of a scare on Tuesday when local radio reports said Pouliot may have re-injured his wrist after a fight with New York's Wade Redden on Sunday. But the newly-acquired winger was quick to diffuse those rumours and said he would be ready to go Wednesday against St. Louis."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=306832

" The line of Gionta, Scott Gomez and winger Benoit Pouliot has been clicking well for the Canadiens, though there was a bit of a scare on Tuesday when local radio reports said Pouliot may have re-injured his wrist after a fight with New York's Wade Redden on Sunday. But the newly-acquired winger was quick to diffuse those rumours and said he would be ready to go Wednesday against St. Louis."

Certainly a positive, though now I'm confused as to how Darche got up without recall waivers - I sincerely hope he's not currently on them and we just don't know about it...

Certainly a positive, though now I'm confused as to how Darche got up without recall waivers - I sincerely hope he's not currently on them and we just don't know about it...

Cammi, Gionta, and Gomez all severely injured their pride by signing with the Habs. The team will, therefore, have unlimited injury recall waivers.

Or if that's the case, hopefully everyone else is as clueless as us. ^_^

I'm willing to bet that Darche has been called up at cost to the cap in order to shake things up for a game. My guess is that Patches is sat in favour of Darche - a major shakeup and a major message: get the job done, or we're willing to take the cap hit over a short period to bench your ass.

No, He is taking Pouliot's spot. It isn't a message.

A message would be calling up Darche, Trotter, White and Pyatt and sending Laraque, Lapierre, D'Agi, Metro down to Hamilton. That's a message.

The reason it's Darche is the top line needs a big body to go to the net, that is his style.

If the habs could rid themselves of D'Agi, Trotterwould take his spot. The same kind of player, Trotter is smaller.