Habs put Halak on the market

rafikz

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detroit is a big one. They haven't been overwhelmed by any of their tenders this season.

I don't think Detroit is in the market. Jimmy Howard is starting to come into his own and Chris Osgood has shown he can still play when it really matters. They also just spent a recent 1st round pick on a goalie.

How do they expect to acquire a top 6 forward with as low a salary as Halak?

He'll be paired with Pleks, a kosty bro(s) or a defenseman.

When healthy the habs have too many players, especially on the back end with the offensive emergence of MAB and his willingness to play anywhere.

Gorges, O'Byrne, Hamrlik (although playing excellent this year) Mara may have value whn paired with halak.

I think it's funny that now thta sportsnet posts something it's gold. I am sure BG called them and said, "can you put the word out we are looking to move these players". I'm sure the other GM's have no idea who is available without the media.

Top six forward? How can we afford one? I'd think the contracts have to match up, at least be close. Unless another player is involved. Hey, this is a good thing, we've drafted and developed two great young goalies. My bad, Fanpuck just made the same observation about $$$.

Edited by Habsy

St Loius is loaded with young talent.

Backes !

But is Halak willing to compete for another #1 goalie spot?

They already have Mason, although I'm not sure if he is that good

Edited by rafikz

Sometimes I forget St. Louis even has a team, so I have absolutely no idea who would be on the block over there.

I do know there is nothing to gain from Detroit though.

I posted a possibility sometime last week ( forget the thread ) Berglund a 1/21 pick and David Backes a 2/62 pick have been moved all over the place trying to find a spot that would start them scoring again.

Berglund is now on the fourth line as centre and Backes is now at centre on the first after being on the trying the 4th., 3rd.,and 2ndnd. lines, their value is far above Halak’s value.

I don’t see how this as a destination for Halak they have Mason 33 years at $3 million who is cold this year and Conklin 33 years at $1.2 million who is hot so far. It’s a stretch to see a exchange here unless one of Berglund or Backes is included. Perhaps a backup plan for Plekanec.

again I believe it has to be a package with Halak.

I posted a possibility sometime last week ( forget the thread ) Berglund a 1/21 pick and David Backes a 2/62 pick have been moved all over the place trying to find a spot that would start them scoring again.

Berglund is now on the fourth line as centre and Backes is now at centre on the first after being on the trying the 4th., 3rd.,and 2ndnd. lines, their value is far above Halak’s value.

I don’t see how this as a destination for Halak they have Mason 33 years at $3 million who is cold this year and Conklin 33 years at $1.2 million who is hot so far. It’s a stretch to see a exchange here unless one of Berglund or Backes is included. Perhaps a backup plan for Plekanec.

Yep.

I think a 3rd team would have to be involved in the trade

Well the word is he's on the block, which means Bob's not looking at anything specific in return, and is looking to gauge the interest and see what other teams think. I think getting a defenseman in return is out of the question, as we have nine when Markov returns, so we'd be looking to add a forward. Whoever we receive, we would send Halak and someone else in return, because it's obvious we'll have a hard time getting someone at his salary range.

Basically, we'll have to wait and see who's interested and how much, then a deal can be worked out to fit available roster spots and player salaries.

I would be all over Berglund, crossing fingers even though it is unlikely.

He'll be paired with Pleks, a kosty bro(s) or a defenseman.

When healthy the habs have too many players, especially on the back end with the offensive emergence of MAB and his willingness to play anywhere.

Gorges, O'Byrne, Hamrlik (although playing excellent this year) Mara may have value whn paired with halak.

I think it's funny that now thta sportsnet posts something it's gold. I am sure BG called them and said, "can you put the word out we are looking to move these players". I'm sure the other GM's have no idea who is available without the media.

Excellent point, As soon as Markov is ready to come back we are over the cap and must start to move bodies to make cap room and player room.

So far Sportsnet is the only creditable source I have been able to find. I never go to Eklund so I can’t know if he is on to this or reported it earlier.

Like you, I often wondered how these sources get this news . Perhaps the agents???.

Halak for Cogliano?

Throw Sergei and Drouin-Deslauriers in the mix? + whatever else is is needed to balance out the difference (I think we would need a pick coming back to us, but maybe I'm underrating their talent)

Cogliano is a bit of an upgrade on Kostitsyn, and he's a lot more likely to stay with our team.

Halak for Cogliano?

Throw Sergei and Drouin-Deslauriers in the mix? + whatever else is is needed to balance out the difference (I think we would need a pick coming back to us, but maybe I'm underrating their talent)

Cogliano is a bit of an upgrade on Kostitsyn, and he's a lot more likely to stay with our team.

A trade as you outlined should work however, I was hoping for more from Edmonton. Cogliano age 22 is on the smallish side with a respectable cap hit $1.133. His Faceoff percentage is very low at 39.9 % on 168 FO’s

ASSETS: Has explosive speed, which places a ton of pressure on opposing defenses. Is a smart, two-way player with offensive upside. Can play all three forward positions

FLAWS: Lacks ideal size for the NHL game and can get knocked off the puck. Is more of a playmaker than scorer, so he needs to work on his shot. Needs to play with more consistency

CAREER POTENTIAL: Speedy two-way forward

If ever your trade should happen, it’s not that hard to live with. I was hoping for someone bigger as we are a little small right now

Hmmm... it's written in the sky that Halak is too good to stay forever a backup here behind Price; and that both will never be allowed to trully compete for the #1 spot.

But I dont have much confidence in Gainey's trading abilities. He always make the safe, win-win, no risk-no reward type of deal. He rarely hits one out of the park.

We'd all be hoping for a top forward straight up. Betcha instead we get some old cheap backup straight up or some veteran reserve forward or a 2nd rounder. That's the underwhelming deal I'd expect from Bob. Not Perron, Cogliano, Berglund or any other kid with real upside. Bob's simply not shrewed enough to improve his trade assets. He never did. Then Bob will say in interview how he wanted some insurance policy or some p.c. reason like that.

Sorry to be a pessimist, but Bob's track record hasn't allowed me to reasonably expect anything less than another underwhelming sideway move.

Hmmm... it's written in the sky that Halak is too good to stay forever a backup here behind Price; and that both will never be allowed to trully compete for the #1 spot.

But I dont have much confidence in Gainey's trading abilities. He always make the safe, win-win, no risk-no reward type of deal. He rarely hits one out of the park.

We'd all be hoping for a top forward straight up. Betcha instead we get some old cheap backup straight up or some veteran reserve forward or a 2nd rounder. That's the underwhelming deal I'd expect from Bob. Not Perron, Cogliano, Berglund or any other kid with real upside. Bob's simply not shrewed enough to improve his trade assets. He never did. Then Bob will say in interview how he wanted some insurance policy or some p.c. reason like that.

Sorry to be a pessimist, but Bob's track record hasn't allowed me to reasonably expect anything less than another underwhelming sideway move.

That's probably the market for a backup goalie. Oh, and Kovalev was as shrewed as they come. A straight up, one for one move that includes a top forward is ridiculous to even contemplate.

Latendresse for Pouliot?

Pouliot hasnt even played a game for us. I hope that's not your sole example.

Ribeiro for Niinimaa, Marcel Hossa for Garth Murray, Theodore for Aebischer. Gainey seems content to just move an asset for an asset and call it even, without really any speculative shrewdness. How many guys have we traded for and turned into gold, that raised to higher or similar value than what we gave? Kovy, Huet... That's pretty much it. The track record simply doesnt allow for much hopes. I'd be expecting a move similar to Theo for Aebischer. Gainey simply equating "a goalie" for "a goalie", regardless of Halak's age and upside. Gainey would be the type to just move Halak for Howard. Its his pattern.

That's probably the market for a backup goalie. Oh, and Kovalev was as shrewed as they come. A straight up, one for one move that includes a top forward is ridiculous to even contemplate.

Kovy wasnt that shrewed... if you consider that Montreal was probably the only place NYR could dump Kovalev's salary. Very similar in the context of the time to the Gomez deal last summer. Gainey's leverage was financial. But that and the Huet deal are the only two I can think where Gainey had an upper hand and used an asset to really improve the team and not simply do a move sideways.

Kovy wasnt that shrewed... if you consider that Montreal was probably the only place NYR could dump Kovalev's salary. Very similar in the context of the time to the Gomez deal last summer. Gainey's leverage was financial. But that and the Huet deal are the only two I can think where Gainey had an upper hand and used an asset to really improve the team and not simply do a move sideways.

First of all Kozed you are forgetting Gainey's best move. Rivet for Gorges and a 1st (Pacioretty). At least give him some credit there.

And how is Montreal the only team that can take on Kovalev's salary in an uncapped world when he is an impending UFA? Not similar to the Gomez trade in any way, shape or form.

First of all Kozed you are forgetting Gainey's best move. Rivet for Gorges and a 1st (Pacioretty). At least give him some credit there.

And how is Montreal the only team that can take on Kovalev's salary in an uncapped world when he is an impending UFA? Not similar to the Gomez trade in any way, shape or form.

Rivet for Gorges/Pacioretty hinges on Pacioretty's offense. He certainly looks promising, but 3 goals, 11 assists in 31 games, not yet good defensively or a real physical threat. The bottom line isnt there yet. I'll rtepeat: it does look promising; but he was a draft pick. We f*ck that pick up, it's just Rivet for Gorges. Which is pretty much even: both guys are honest workers but can't handle the puck worth sh*t.

Montreal was the only team willing to take on Kovy and his salary in 2004 and was again the only willing to take on Gomez and his salary in 2009. Gainey had financial leverage in the trade. Read the last two sentences I wrote until you get it.

You can argue all you want. What you say is irrelevant. My point is: Gainey's track record doesnt allow me to have faith that trading a young goalie with high upside like Halak will be beneficial to us. I'd love to believe it, but Gainey hasnt made any trade that proved to me he could pull the only type of deal that would be satisfactory with Halak.

So forget all those good young forwards mentioned in this thread. Gainey won't pull that kind of deal.

Rivet for Gorges/Pacioretty hinges on Pacioretty's offense. He certainly looks promising, but 3 goals, 11 assists in 31 games, not yet good defensively or a real physical threat. The bottom line isnt there yet. I'll rtepeat: it does look promising; but he was a draft pick. We f*ck that pick up, it's just Rivet for Gorges. Which is pretty much even: both guys are honest workers but can't handle the puck worth sh*t.

Montreal was the only team willing to take on Kovy and his salary in 2004 and was again the only willing to take on Gomez and his salary in 2009. Gainey had financial leverage in the trade. Read the last two sentences I wrote until you get it.

You can argue all you want. What you say is irrelevant. My point is: Gainey's track record doesnt allow me to have faith that trading a young goalie with high upside like Halak will be beneficial to us. I'd love to believe it, but Gainey hasnt made any trade that proved to me he could pull the only type of deal that would be satisfactory with Halak.

So forget all those good young forwards mentioned in this thread. Gainey won't pull that kind of deal.

Gorges > Rivet