Habs put Halak on the market

rafikz

I put little stock in the details of that story especially considering the source - let's see, Gainey just happens to open up to a single reporter and then go on about how expectations should be tempered. The person who never comments on rumors goes and says who he's talking to. Does anyone find that beyond out of character for him?

I don't doubt that there's some discussion going on, but I don't see Gainey opening up with the actual details of the discussion any time soon.

You make a great point here. I wonder, though, if Bob is just trying to get ahead of the media curve by deliberately planting the story so as to downgrade expectations? "Hey, I'm trying for a top-6er...but the market is a 2nd-rounder...get used to it."

It would be very un-Bob to do this, though. If indeed he's trying to dampen down the unending wave of criticism that's been building against him over the last while, by pre-emptively warning fans not to expect too much on the Halak front, then he must be feeling some sort of heat from ownership. (Not necessarily of the "firing" kind; maybe more of the "PR management" variety).

Or else, as Boone suggests, he's trying to "turn the heat" on other interested GMs. (But then, why talk about 2nd rounders?)

Never a dull moment in Habsland.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put little stock in the details of that story especially considering the source - let's see, Gainey just happens to open up to a single reporter and then go on about how expectations should be tempered. The person who never comments on rumors goes and says who he's talking to. Does anyone find that beyond out of character for him?

I don't doubt that there's some discussion going on, but I don't see Gainey opening up with the actual details of the discussion any time soon.

"Considering the source"? Brian, ruefrontenac.com is the home of the locked-out journalists from Journal de Montreal; and Bob Gainey knowns Bertrand Raymond for over 30 years now. I dont know what kind of source you'd put stock in; but if old Bert says explicitely "Bob told me the Philly rumor is true.", then odds are it's legit. You might hate Raymond's opinions, for good or bad reasons, he's still a pro journalist. That's no Jean Perron there.

As for wither or not it's out of character for Bob, you're making a caricature out of Bob being a mummy when it comes to trade rumors. He did comment past rumors. Remember Hossa? What Bob will do is try to keep things quiet to protect his players from rumors. But Halak doesnt need to be protected. Everybody in town who knows Halak knows he's too good and young to be Price's backup forever, Halak above all. Gainey has nothing to lose by commenting those rumors to a well-known reporter who just straight-up asked him about it.

If there is any truth to' Halak on the trading block ' here are some teams, mostly from the west that might be interested.

Columbus 117 GA and 99 GF

Florida 112 GA and 95GF

NYI 104 GA and 84 GF

LA Kings 104GA and 107GF

Anaheim 103GA and 91 GF

Edmonton 100GA and 98 GF

http://www.coppernblue.com/2009/12/14/1200...khabibulin-done

They have Steve Mason, that would be the equivalent of the Canadiens targeting a player like Halak.

Florida 112 GA and 95GF

Vokoun has been fantastic this season and they have Jacob Markstrom on the farm, one of the top prospects

in hockey.

NYI 104 GA and 84 GF

Dipietro has 37 years left on his contract.

LA Kings 104GA and 107GF

Jonathan Bernier is destroying the AHL right now, and they just signed Quick to an extension.

Anaheim 103GA and 91 GF

Hiller and Giguere, no chance.

Edmonton 100GA and 98 GF

Only possibility of these that makes a ton of sense.

Edited by Wamsley01

The writer of that article is obviously clueless about the cap. He says the Oilers will catch a huge break if Khabibulin has to retire, but what he obviously doesn't know is that he will still count against the cap if he retires.

Yeah, somebody needs to let him know that any contract signed after the age of 35 is guaranteed

and offers zero cap relief should the player retire. It is why not many players get multiple years after 35.

Also, one of the reasons the Bruins rushed to get Thomas signed before his 35th birthday last season.

Yeah, somebody needs to let him know that any contract signed after the age of 35 is guaranteed

and offers zero cap relief should the player retire. It is why not many players get multiple years after 35.

Also, one of the reasons the Bruins rushed to get Thomas signed before his 35th birthday last season.

Even though it doesn't matter when Thomas signed the deal, he was 35 when the contract began and that's how the NHL treats it.

The Devils got cap relief on Mogilny when he showed he was physically unable to play, so if the Oil could prove that with Khabibulin than they'd be in the same boat as old Loophole Lou.

The team that really screwed themselves on this front is Philly. They are on the hook for his entire monster contract even if he retires before it expires which he almost certainly will. That's seven more years, guaranteed, of paying through the nose for Pronger, whether or not he sucks, or retires, or what have you. We think WE have cap problems! Philly is a basket case.

I'm emailing back and forth with the writer and he quoted the same rule that I did, but his included a line that seemed to let a team off the hook. I don't know if he's using a bad copy of the rules or if that particular clause has been changed since the CBA was signed in 2005.

The Devils got cap relief on Mogilny when he showed he was physically unable to play, so if the Oil could prove that with Khabibulin than they'd be in the same boat as old Loophole Lou.

Didn't they trade Mogilny along with a 1st round pick to the Sharks for scraps to get the relief from his cap hit?

Didn't they trade Mogilny along with a 1st round pick to the Sharks for scraps to get the relief from his cap hit?

That was Malakhov. Mogilny was given LTIR status, Malakhov wasn't (because he wasn't hurt, he just retired).

How desperate is Paul Holmgren?

Would he take Halak, Spacek and a 1st rounder for James van Riemsdyk!?

Edited by Habsfan

I'm not sure I'd want to trade Hamr even though his contract is that big. When Markov comes back, we're going to have two reliable defenders who can make a great first pass. If we're going to tutor our youngsters - and I hope to see at least one up for next season, if not two - then I want these guys in the lineup. Lest we forget, Markov *made* Komisarek, and there's a reasonable argument that Hamr did the same for Phaneuf. We're not competing for the Cup this year, and while it's not out of the realm next season, I'd suggest that would be a good time to get two rookies up and really going. Let's use our two best defensive assets to create two new ones.

I am SURE that I DON'T want to trade Hamr.

he has been a rock (except last year, to his excuse, everyone was to puke on) a real hard rock, an explosive volcano rock, solid as granit rock, a diamond in the rough rock, a rocking rock.

the guy is the man.

He is clearly our #1 in Markov absence and has been a very good #2 for the last 3 years. More verstatile than guys like Komi (4.5, unidimensional) and Souray (5.5, more offensive, way way way way less reliable defensively, with lots of brain cramps).

How desperate is Paul Holmgren?

Would he take Halak, Spacek and a 1st rounder for James van Riemsdyk!?

lol no!

he is not even despare at all.

my bold guess is that AT BEST, it'd be a 1st and Leighton for Halak and a 4th.

I however wish / dream about that we could do something like d'Ago + Halak + whatever for a guy like Giroux.

or

Pleks + Halak for Carter or Richards.

"Considering the source"? Brian, ruefrontenac.com is the home of the locked-out journalists from Journal de Montreal; and Bob Gainey knowns Bertrand Raymond for over 30 years now. I dont know what kind of source you'd put stock in; but if old Bert says explicitely "Bob told me the Philly rumor is true.", then odds are it's legit. You might hate Raymond's opinions, for good or bad reasons, he's still a pro journalist. That's no Jean Perron there.

As for wither or not it's out of character for Bob, you're making a caricature out of Bob being a mummy when it comes to trade rumors. He did comment past rumors. Remember Hossa? What Bob will do is try to keep things quiet to protect his players from rumors. But Halak doesnt need to be protected. Everybody in town who knows Halak knows he's too good and young to be Price's backup forever, Halak above all. Gainey has nothing to lose by commenting those rumors to a well-known reporter who just straight-up asked him about it.

this.

If there is any truth to' Halak on the trading block ' here are some teams, mostly from the west that might be interested.

Florida 112 GA and 95GF

NYI 104 GA and 84 GF

LA Kings 104GA and 107GF

Anaheim 103GA and 91 GF

Edmonton 100GA and 98 GF

http://www.coppernblue.com/2009/12/14/1200...khabibulin-done

Columbus 117 GA and 99 GF - Mason > Halak. Garon = Halak

Florida 112 GA and 95GF - Vokoun > Halak. Clemmensen = Halak

NYI 104 GA and 84 GF - Biron = Halak

LA Kings 104GA and 107GF - Quick = goalie of the week

Anaheim 103GA and 91 GF = They have too many good starters already

Edmonton 100GA and 98 GF - Deslauriers = Halak

Listen, In Montreal, Halak might be considered highly... but fact is, you ask any other team, and they will not regard him as highly. He is NOT an established starter in NHL and as such is only regarded as good a good backup.

lol no!

he is not even despare at all.

my bold guess is that AT BEST, it'd be a 1st and Leighton for Halak and a 4th.

I however wish / dream about that we could do something like d'Ago + Halak + whatever for a guy like Giroux.or

Pleks + Halak for Carter or Richard

Yeah, I kow that Van Riemsdyke will be very difficult to get out of Phily! I was just shooting some names out there!

Giroux would be nice as well. D'ago + Halak and a 2nd rounder should be enough?

Columbus 117 GA and 99 GF - Mason > Halak. Garon = Halak

Florida 112 GA and 95GF - Vokoun > Halak. Clemmensen = Halak

NYI 104 GA and 84 GF - Biron = Halak

LA Kings 104GA and 107GF - Quick = goalie of the week

Anaheim 103GA and 91 GF = They have too many good starters already

Edmonton 100GA and 98 GF - Deslauriers = Halak

Listen, In Montreal, Halak might be considered highly... but fact is, you ask any other team, and they will not regard him as highly. He is NOT an established starter in NHL and as such is only regarded as good a good backup.

His stats put him in the category as a starter, but you are missing the point. Teams may want Halak as he is an excellent backup that they can develop into a starter. Montreal is not willing to do that, since they are spending all there time trying to develop Price into a starter (I define a starter as a goalie that can play consistently, not just great for 15 game bursts).

There are many teams with older goalies, or goalies who are not developing, or goalies with big contracts, who would be willing to pay for Halak. Chicago paid Huet a fortune when they still had Bulin under contract for another year.. they were looking to the future...

Halak is not going to bring a high return like a top 6 guy, but there are many teams who will give up a prospect for him, or perhaps toss other players in the mix for a bigger deal.

Thing is, Atlanta might put Kari Lethonen on the market as soon as he's back from injury. Even with his injury issues, a lot of people around the league still consider Lethonen a potential "franchise goalie". If Bob doesnt want to end up having the grass cut from under his feet by Don Waddell, he'll need to move sooner rather than later.

Interesting read, whatever the trade scenario, it still has to be financially cap responsible . Both teams have some of the parts we need today. A possibility could be for Halak and a prospect .

To Montreal cap coming in $ 1,005.mil

Leighton age 28 cap $183k ufa 09/10

Giroux C/RW age 21 cap $822k rfa 10/11

To Philadelphia cap coming in $ 1,275 mil.

Halak cap $775k

D’Agostini cap $500k

OR

To Montreal cap coming in $ 2.218 mil

David Perron RW/LW age 21 cap $918k rfa 09/10

Conklin age 33 cap $1,300.mil

Either trade would be a step up to icing two scoring lines Both Perron and Giroux are5’11” both first round picks . For financial reasons Philly is the good deal for skill set St Louis would be better, and they are in the western conference

Either trade would be damned awesome.

I just wish the Habs would win a few so that Gainey could approach this deal from a position of strength.

Interesting read, whatever the trade scenario, it still has to be financially cap responsible . Both teams have some of the parts we need today. A possibility could be for Halak and a prospect .

To Montreal cap coming in $ 1,005.mil

Leighton age 28 cap $183k ufa 09/10

Giroux C/RW age 21 cap $822k rfa 10/11

To Philadelphia cap coming in $ 1,275 mil.

Halak cap $775k

D’Agostini cap $500k

OR

To Montreal cap coming in $ 2.218 mil

David Perron RW/LW age 21 cap $918k rfa 09/10

Conklin age 33 cap $1,300.mil

Either trade would be a step up to icing two scoring lines Both Perron and Giroux are5’11” both first round picks . For financial reasons Philly is the good deal for skill set St Louis would be better, and they are in the western conference

Well with Conklin on the team, we'd be destined to lose the Cup finals anyway ^_^

• 1 month later...

I'm emailing back and forth with the writer and he quoted the same rule that I did, but his included a line that seemed to let a team off the hook. I don't know if he's using a bad copy of the rules or if that particular clause has been changed since the CBA was signed in 2005.

The writer of the article in question contacted the NHLPA to ask about this particular rule. A month later, the response he got was simply, "there are possibilities when it comes to his cap hit." Nothing more.

• 3 weeks later...

I miss sleeping time cuz up two night in a row to watch Slovakia.

Those were the best games yet and Halak had a big influence on both.

He did very well against the Plekatcheck but he was humphh against Russia.

And he is too small to play two night in a row...yeah yeah.

Anybody still want to trade this guy ??

Jaro the hero :clap: