Habs put Halak on the market

rafikz

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss sleeping time cuz up two night in a row to watch Slovakia.

Those were the best games yet and Halak had a big influence on both.

He did very well against the Plekatcheck but he was humphh against Russia.

And he is too small to play two night in a row...yeah yeah.

Anybody still want to trade this guy ??

Jaro the hero :clap:

Haha yes...I do want to trade him. I hope he keeps playing better and better and increasing his stats!

Haha yes...I do want to trade him. I hope he keeps playing better and better and increasing his stats!

The bus has already left and some of you have missed it. Halak isn't going to be traded. No team will trade their number one goalie, especially one with the quality of Halak. (And I still think that's one of the reasons, if not the main reason, Gainey retired.)

Still, I hope that they keep Price because he might yet prove that he's better than the career #2 goalie he appears headed to be. One thing for certain - Price's value has gone down... way down. I think he's pretty safe from being traded because we wouldn't get much for him. Be interesting to see what the Habs offer him though in his next contract.

- Jack (now waiting for all the personal insults to come from ForumGhost et. al.)

The off season will show whether Halak thinks he himself is a #1 goalie, he'll show it by his contract demands.

If he wants #1 goalie money, he wont be getting it in Montreal, and that's a blessing in disguise as far as I am concerned.

Edited by bar

If he wants #1 goalie money, he wont be getting it in Montreal, and that's a blessing in disguise as far as I am concerned.

See, this leaves me completely perplexed. Why? Why are you so against the guy who has provided so much good goaltending to this team? I'm not being sarcastic here. I really am interested in your reasons.

I'm worried that the habs will be so intoxicated with his play to trade away Price, who is the goalie the habs have needed since Roy left. I've said it again and again that I feel he's (Halak) not as good as his stats indicate, I've given my reasons numerous times and not going to list them yet again.

Still, I hope that they keep Price because he might yet prove that he's better than the career #2 goalie he appears headed to be. One thing for certain - Price's value has gone down... way down.

Now THIS is perplexing. He's a 22-year-old goalie. Do you expect him to be fully developed already? How can you possibly determine his future? Fleury looked like balls when he was younger too.

This is what I am worried about with Price, exactly what Colin said. Imagine if the pens gave up on Fleury and went with Conklin as their number 1? That is the same situation as this. I bet if you're a pens fan you're glad they went with Fleury.

See, this leaves me completely perplexed. Why? Why are you so against the guy who has provided so much good goaltending to this team? I'm not being sarcastic here. I really am interested in your reasons.

Because he is playing over his head. Period.

Keep them both! , don't get rid of an asset that could get this team to

playoffs, best save % whatever trophy name for this year. I don't give

a pennywise think to the long term value on this shot.

Halak is the only member of the habs that could change them from a lousy team

to a cendrillion team.

Gauthier job is to sign these guys Price and Halak the best market value to be able to trade

someone some day, not now !

Yeah he will have to unload some cash somewhere, to do that, so what ? It's his job.

Because he is playing over his head. Period.

Apparently Bar you have already crowned Price king. There are many of us who believe that Halak has out played Price. I for one believe, neither one will become an elite goalie a la Brodeur. Good goalies are a dime a dozen, or I better say that next level. We could move both and it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I haven't crowned Price anything, I'm pointing out the fact that you want to base that Halak outplayed Price this year, but what about last year when Price outplayed Halak? They both haven't proven anything in the NHL, Price has the potential I don't see in Halak. All this is silly really, you, nor I, nor anyone on this board is going to make the decision.

The off season will show whether Halak thinks he himself is a #1 goalie, he'll show it by his contract demands.

I agree with you.

While right now he's getting the job done, I so do not believe in him long-term.

Small-quick goalies NEVER have long successful career.

Think about Theo.

Now THIS is perplexing. He's a 22-year-old goalie. Do you expect him to be fully developed already? How can you possibly determine his future? Fleury looked like balls when he was younger too.

You know Colin, you guys keep holding Fleury up as a great goalie, which he is NOT. He has a great team in front of him and he did have a good playoffs last year, but did you realize he's not even in the top 10 this year (which is more consistent with his career stats)? Team Canada doesn't even trust him enough to give him a start. I think you people will serve your argument better if you pick a different goalie to compare Price with. Right now, I wouldn't even consider trading Halak for Fleury straight up.

This is what I am worried about with Price, exactly what Colin said. Imagine if the pens gave up on Fleury and went with Conklin as their number 1? That is the same situation as this. I bet if you're a pens fan you're glad they went with Fleury.

Conklin career save % = .909

Halak career save % = .917

Fleury career save % = .907

These are the fallacious types of arguments some of you keep bringing up. Others out there are more reasonable. Just look at the above numbers and then re-read some of the posts in this thread.

Of course, now some will come out and say save % is not important, or is not a good yardstick. Their opinion is, apparently. They say, "Halak is playing over his head," career stats be damned. Man, the Habs should hire them for their hockey acumen.

You know Colin, you guys keep holding Fleury up as a great goalie, which he is NOT. He has a great team in front of him and he did have a good playoffs last year, but did you realize he's not even in the top 10 this year (which is more consistent with his career stats)? Team Canada doesn't even trust him enough to give him a start. I think you people will serve your argument better if you pick a different goalie to compare Price with. Right now, I wouldn't even consider trading Halak for Fleury straight up.

Don't get me wrong, Jack, I do not think of Fleury as any kind of standard against which goalies should be measured. I guess what I'm trying to question is your belief that Price will be a #2 goalie and what this is based on. While Fleury most certainly is not a superstar, I don't think one could go as far as to say he's a backup succeeding on a great team. I still think he's #1 quality, just not in the upper echelon. My belief is that you've come fairly close to a final judgement on how Price will turn out, and my counter-point is that I think it's far too early to say one way or the other. I agree with you that both should be kept, and I also agree that Halak should be the de facto starter for the forseeable future.

Your point on Fleury not even getting a start on Team Canada, though, is moot, I think. He's not getting a start because there are two genuine superstars ahead of him. He's there only if there's a colossal screw-up from the other two, or there are injuries. That said, he was *chosen* for Team Canada, which should at least indicate that he's been identified as a top performer. While I would never consider trading him for Halak straight up, I would suggest that the Canadiens would certainly consider it, if only because he would be that French star upper management desperately wants in order to please the hometown fans.

I realize you are extremely high on Halak, and there's good reason for that, of course. What I don't understand is how anyone could be that low on Price when he's just a youngster. He's been inconsistent and so far has shown his mental game to be his great weakness, but this is all part of the learning process. I'm not saying he's going to become a superstar or even better than Halak appears to be at this point, but I am saying that it's far too early to make that kind of determination on a player who has repeatedly proven himself at various levels. That he hasn't at the top isn't a blight on his game or his character, but rather it's a direct result of his age.

I'm honestly not sure how anyone could argue with the obvious potential the kid has. Can he attain that? Only time will tell, but to dismiss him as a probable future #2 at this point is premature, to say the least.

I agree with you.

While right now he's getting the job done, I so do not believe in him long-term.

Small-quick goalies NEVER have long successful career.

Think about Theo.

Umm, have you heard of a little guy named Hasek??

Tangent:

What age did Hasek become an NHL starter?

Totally agree - which is a reason I HATE drafting a goalie in the top ten in the draft.

ALthough, it should be pointed tha Hasek was a starter and a star with the czechs and really never wa given a chance until he went to Buffalo.

You can also add Belfour to the list of late bloomers as well.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Totally agree - which is a reason I HATE drafting a goalie in the top ten in the draft.

ALthough, it should be pointed tha Hasek was a starter and a star with the czechs and really never wa given a chance until he went to Buffalo.

You can also add Belfour to the list of late bloomers as well.

But if you don't take that chance, you can end up like Ottawa or Washington - a goalie short of a Cup. Of course, that's not a blanket statement, but there's validity in it.

That's right, everyone! He's only good enough to be the 3rd string behind Brodeur or Loungo, so how good can he really be?

Hahaha, the third best Canadian goalie in the world, behind the greatest gooalie of all time and a more experienced Bobby Lou. I sense some sarcasm there.

I'm honestly not sure how anyone could argue with the obvious potential the kid has. Can he attain that? Only time will tell, but to dismiss him as a probable future #2 at this point is premature, to say the least.

You could be right Colin which is why I've repeatedly said I don't want him traded... yet.

Let me explain why I'm decidedly unimpressed with him.

Unlike Roy, who was erratic but lightening quick in his early years, Price seems very slow to me. I'm always worried that they're going to successfully wrap-around against him. He seems to depend way too much on his size and positioning. While I understand that this is important, a good goalie also has to have that quickness.

Some here have said that Price sometimes doesn't have his head in the game. Surprisingly, I disagree with this. It just appears that way because his reactions are often so slow.

The other thing that I don't like about him is his glove hand, which may be related to his slow reactions. NHL shooters have discovered this and they prey on it, as I'm sure you have noticed.

So the big question is: can he get quicker? I don't think so. (This doesn't improve with age; it gets worse). Hence the reason why I think he'll never amount to much.

Now, I could be completely wrong but this is my belief...