Habs @ Rangers | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They recorded two shots on goal in the second period, of an actual NHL game. That is beyong pathetic.

The scary thing is that isn't their worst output this year. If I remember correctly there was one or two games where they got between 10 and 13 shots ALL night :angry:

Different players, same Canadiens. I just don't see improvement from last year to this year. Same mistakes as always. They lose too many battles. Their speed is overrated. I'm glad I didn't bother buying GameCenter Live this year.

It's not really that their speed individually is overrated, it's just that the style they are asked to play negates their speed. The wingers have to come down low to the circles in the defensive zone and wait for defensemen to just chose the wrong play 9 times out of 10, therefore killing any chance at a quick rush. Then when they managed to hack the puck into the offensive zone, they have to dump it in the corners, slowing the game down. Then when they lose it --because they're too small and weak along the boards--, they have to come back in the neutral zone and stay immobile with a 2-2-1 passive forecheck, allowing the opposing team to just blow right past them and enter the Habs zone full speed, forcing the slow Habs defensemen to back up; and the vicious circle continues. 

That style was good for big slow tough teams in a hook & grab NHL back in the 90's; but it doesnt work with small speedy teams. But that's the only style Jacques Martin knows. 

So there you have it, a team with tons of speedy players being asked to play a slow team's style. 

Then when they lose it --because they're too small and weak along the boards--,

I won't contest anything but this. Because the best guy on the boards on the Habs is Gionta. Which makes me think size is far less important than heart.

I won't contest anything but this. Because the best guy on the boards on the Habs is Gionta. Which makes me think size is far less important than heart.

Sorry, but the best Habs on the board is Moen. This guy rarely loses a board battle. Gio is OK though. 

Problem with the Habs when they get pinned on the boards, the support is bad. 

Sorry, but the best Habs on the board is Moen. This guy rarely loses a board battle. Gio is OK though. 

You make it sound like there's only one problem.

Bang on.

For Montreal, support manifests as standing a useless stick's length away from the play. They cock their heads, trying to spot the puck, and feebly poke their sticks where the puck used to be. After a few moments, the Montreal player is caught flatfooted as the play quickly goes the other way.

That style was good for big slow tough teams in a hook & grab NHL back in the 90's; but it doesnt work with small speedy teams. But that's the only style Jacques Martin knows. 

Therein lies the biggest reason Bob needs to go. The coach he hired does not mesh well with the type of players he went out and got up front. He got small, speedy guys and a coach who wants to slow down the game. These are contrasting philosophies and it is Bob's fault that this problem exists.

Therein lies the biggest reason Bob needs to go. The coach he hired does not mesh well with the type of players he went out and got up front. He got small, speedy guys and a coach who wants to slow down the game. These are contrasting philosophies and it is Bob's fault that this problem exists.

I can think of about 25 other reasons why he should be fired.

Ok, it appears on the outside, that Jacques Martin quit the GM job in Florida to become the coach here. Some have suggested otherwise, but have no clue really, he wasn't fired, he left. Now, he's basically got his dream job. He's got many wins, great credentials. My question is, as this is probably his last kick at the can, is he incapable of adapting? Is he not smart enough to evolve with the ever changing NHL? Is his Ottawa success based solely on the fact that he did have some great players? The system they play looks awful. This was an important weekend, and they didn't even show up. We're now well into january, that's gotta be enough time to gel, as a team. I liked the hire, but I'm officially worried.

It's not like every team doesn't have more than one problem.

Still a lot of hockey left to play, and I'll remind everyone that we don't suffer lopsided loses very often. Most of our losses are by one goal.

Exactomundo. I am really glad I missed this stinker today, but shlitz happens every now and then. I'm not thrilled but neither am I particularly concerned.

If I'm Martin, i'd just send Laraque out on the PP with Cammy and Pleks. couldnt possibly do worse then the clowns they have been stuck with.

screw the nhl fine.

right now Laraque is paid 1.5 Million a year for 3 minutes/game, in which he doesn't hit or fight or intimidate anyone.

I don't know what happened to our french players. Latendresse, lapierre and laraque all lost their edge early on this year. Wouldn't be surprised if the last 2 follow Latendresse out of MTL before the end of the season

right now Laraque is paid 1.5 Million a year for 3 minutes/game, in which he doesn't hit or fight or intimidate anyone.

I don't know what happened to our french players. Latendresse, lapierre and laraque all lost their edge early on this year. Wouldn't be surprised if the last 2 follow Latendresse out of MTL before the end of the season

I think Lapierre will come out of his shell

It's not really that their speed individually is overrated, it's just that the style they are asked to play negates their speed. The wingers have to come down low to the circles in the defensive zone and wait for defensemen to just chose the wrong play 9 times out of 10, therefore killing any chance at a quick rush. Then when they managed to hack the puck into the offensive zone, they have to dump it in the corners, slowing the game down. Then when they lose it --because they're too small and weak along the boards--, they have to come back in the neutral zone and stay immobile with a 2-2-1 passive forecheck, allowing the opposing team to just blow right past them and enter the Habs zone full speed, forcing the slow Habs defensemen to back up; and the vicious circle continues. 

So there you have it, a team with tons of speedy players being asked to play a slow team's style. 

This.

For the first time in my life I spent more time watching football than hockey when the Habs were playing. I'm sick of watching this crap.

Very disappointed by last night game. It's becoming doubtful, to say the least, that we will be part of the playoffs. I have no clue what's going on with this club. I mean, almost all the players we did not sign last spring don't have a good season this year. The replacements, Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Moen, have been good over all. The defensemen don't play like I thought they would. Spacek has a bad season, Mara too, Hill is better than many expected, but he still is no Markov. O'Byrne should be playing, but for whatever reason Martin has decided not dress him for the last three games...

Our goalies are our best players IMO. Halak has an ordinary outing, last night, but I won't blame him. When you score only two goals, you don't give much of a cushion to allow for a few mistakes. It was exactly the same proble against the Sens, except that it was absolutely pathetic against the Rangers. It's tough for Halak and Price, but they will have win games in spite of their teamates.

Well, enough for today.

Bring Subban in Mtl. He'll inject some enthusiasm and team spirit in this sad bunch of individuals.

Chipchura has 8 fights this season

Hey BGL.......

Chips has also played in almost twice as many games and gets twice as much ice time. His 8 fights to Laraque's 4 makes perfect sense. Georges can't fight if he's not on the ice when things get chippy. Given the way the coaches have used him, there's been no reason for him to fight anyone other than the opposition's goons. People want Georges to protect the team, then blame Carbo, Gainey, and Martin for not giving him the chance to do anything.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Chips has also played in almost twice as many games and gets twice as much ice time. His 8 fights to Laraque's 4 makes perfect sense. Georges can't fight if he's not on the ice when things get chippy. Given the way the coaches have used him, there's been no reason for him to fight anyone other than the opposition's goons. People want Georges to protect the team, then blame Carbo, Gainey, and Martin for not giving him the chance to do anything.

Yeah but even when he is ontthe ice he is too nice

Do you want to fight?

please?

please

No? ok no problem