A Little Perspective

johnnyhasbeen

Im VERY happy with Bergeron. Its like getting Souray back for under a million. Of course Souray added the grit and goon part as well but cant say Bergeron is any worse Defensively than Souray.

Souray was a *minus 28*!!! in his last year with the Habs. He was a huge defensive liability. (He's minus 14 this year so far with Edmonton) Not only that, but he's also injury-prone. I know a lot of you will say I'm crazy, but I wouldn't take him straight up for Bergeron. MAB has other offensive skills that Souray can only dream about. Souray has a big shot and that's that.

(Anyone remember when he scored that shootout goal? He faked his big, booming slapshot when he was half-way in from the blue line. The goalie - I can't recall who - completely froze up. [i think he was trying to restart his heart!] and then Souray deked and scored. I almost lost my throat on that one, I was laughing so hard.)

Edited by jackp

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Souray was a *minus 28*!!! in his last year with the Habs. He was a huge defensive liability. (He's minus 14 this year so far with Edmonton) Not only that, but he's also injury-prone. I know a lot of you will say I'm crazy, but I wouldn't take him straight up for Bergeron. MAB has other offensive skills that Souray can only dream about. Souray has a big shot and that's that.

(Anyone remember when he scored that shootout goal? He faked his big, booming slapshot when he was half-way in from the blue line. The goalie - I can't recall who - completely froze up. [i think he was trying to restart his heart!] and then Souray deked and scored. I almost lost my throat on that one, I was laughing so hard.)

I woudn't want Souray's salary. But if MAB wants $2M next year, that some here have suggested we pay him, i think that would be a BIG mistake for a one trick pony.

I woudn't want Souray's salary. But if MAB wants $2M next year, that some here have suggested we pay him, i think that would be a BIG mistake for a one trick pony.

No, you're right. That'd be too much. If he makes 775 mil now I wouldn't go higher than a mil and a quarter...

Of course he will be asking for something like that and of course we will do like we did when we lost Souray and Streit and cry about it and of course it will be the best move NOT to resign him at that point since we wont be able to afford him anyway. Still love him at his current salary though.

MAB makes 1/6 his salary because he had no job & no takers!!! that's everybody"s fall back... salary! guess what? i'm a fan and can give a hoots as$$ about salary. i'll leave salaries to the molson's to worry about.

like i said its everyone's classic scapegoat

MAB makes 1/6 his salary because he had no job & no takers!!! that's everybody"s fall back... salary! guess what? i'm a fan and can give a hoots as$$ about salary. i'll leave salaries to the molson's to worry about.

Holy 21st century Batman! I just heard of this thing called a "salary cap".

what i cant't understand is how anyone who truly follow the habs can be a fan of MAB. i've watched every single game this season... not the highlights.... every game.

as good as he plays on the PP he is equally bad if not worse at 5 on 5.

i appreciate his contribution to the PP his 9 pp goals and was extremely happy when he scored the game tieing goal against atl and then won it in OT when he crashed the net.... yes he has 28 pts blah blah blah.

BUT, he is a horrible defensemen. and if someone says he's a decent 4th liner my rebutal is dandenault is not a 4th liner, neither was streit, and MAB sure as hell isnt either.

there is a reason he wasnt signed by anyone at season's start.

markov has proven time and time again he can be successful with whoever he plays with on that point.... souray, streit, schneider , MAB.

spacek preformed excellent for BUF last year as their PP guy & gainey went out and got him to replace schneider. give him some 1st unit time with marky and you'll see....

if we want to contend this guy should not be around... that's my outlook

Spacek has been one of the (if not THE biggest disappointment) from all the off season acquisitions made by Bob. The Guy can't get a shot on net from the point...Oh sorry, my bad, he actually had one against the Rangers on Saturday...I thikn it was the first time in a month he actually managed to get a shot on net!

Like I've said before, MAB is a liability defensively speaking, but he's doing stuff on the PP that Spacek hasn't been able to do. Added bonus...he costs 4 times less than Spacek!

im aware of the salary cap and am also aware that more then 1/2 the league is over/under paid.

salary is the business side of hockey & i cant be bothered ... all i know is im tired of these "convert the defensemen to forward" shinanigans. MAB is not a top 6 defensemen. or a top 12 forward for that matter. he is a big shot at the point and liability 5 on 5. for 750 we can keep him in the press box in case of another "emergency" and dress a real forward! spacek once again is more then capable pairing up with marky on the 1st PP unit

I'm a supporter of MAB, but I COMPLETELY agree with you on that one! Anything over 1 million$ for MAB next year would be too much!

You can't just ignore the salary, it's such an important part of the game now...to ignore it is just foolish!

Spacek has been one of the (if not THE biggest disappointment) from all the off season acquisitions made by Bob. The Guy can't get a shot on net from the point...Oh sorry, my bad, he actually had one against the Rangers on Saturday...I thikn it was the first time in a month he actually managed to get a shot on net!

Like I've said before, MAB is a liability defensively speaking, but he's doing stuff on the PP that Spacek hasn't been able to do. Added bonus...he costs 4 times less than Spacek!

our hasnt been given an oppurtunity to do. as MAB has been almost exclusive on the right point.

im aware of the salary cap and am also aware that more then 1/2 the league is over/under paid.

salary is the business side of hockey & i cant be bothered ... all i know is im tired of these "convert the defensemen to forward" shinanigans. MAB is not a top 6 defensemen. or a top 12 forward for that matter. he is a big shot at the point and liability 5 on 5. for 750 we can keep him in the press box in case of another "emergency" and dress a real forward! spacek once again is more then capable pairing up with marky on the 1st PP unit

First of all I disagree completely that Spacek would be better on the PP, he had his chance, the result was we had to sign MAB.

Second is who do you plan to have replace MAB on the fourth line? He obviously brings much more to the table than anyone else we have tried there.

First of all I disagree completely that Spacek would be better on the PP, he had his chance, the result was we had to sign MAB.

Second is who do you plan to have replace MAB on the fourth line? He obviously brings much more to the table than anyone else we have tried there.

FIRST) MAB was signed 2 weeks into the season when our PP was in dissarray after the loss to relying on markov so much.

spacek has shown in multiple seasons that he can preform on PP and can flourish with his left handed shot and marky on the right.

spacek gets zero minutes with markov on the right point so can u compare? he has not had his chance with marky as he was first signed to do.

second) MAB is on the fourth line because he cant play d.... you clearly watch zero habs games if you think he brings more to the table on the fourth line then any one else.

FIRST) MAB was signed 2 weeks into the season when our PP was in dissarray after the loss to relying on markov so much.

spacek has shown in multiple seasons that he can preform on PP and can flourish with his left handed shot and marky on the right.

spacek gets zero minutes with markov on the right point so can u compare? he has not had his chance with marky as he was first signed to do.

second) MAB is on the fourth line because he cant play d.... you clearly watch zero habs games if you think he brings more to the table on the fourth line then any one else.

1) Remember how he made our powerplay respectable BEFORE Markov came back, something Spacek couldn't do.

2) I watch every single game, and obviously I have seen Dag, Pac, and BGL play way more than you. You still haven't answered who you would replace him with.

Edited by JacksonJ

1) Remember how he made our powerplay respectable BEFORE Markov came back, something Spacek couldn't do.

2) I watch every single game, and obviously I have seen Dag, Pac, and BGL play way more than you. You still haven't answered who you would replace him with.

g-g-p

ak-p-c-

sk-l-d

moen-metro-white

-a line that checks, hits, and can change the tempo in our favour..

-pacioretty can come in to but is better off playing first line minutes in hamilton

-they sent d'agostini down and he's still way better then MAB at 4th line duties

-BGL is in the same category as MAB when playing forward they both stink. the only reason BGL is fired is because he wont fight where as MAB is still on the point.

obviously with AK out of the lineup & d'ago/ pac sent down were handcuffed but come his return who comes out of the lineup? darche? would that be fair considering he's played excellent on each line he's played on.

MAB is NOT a long term roster player on the habs simple as that!!

there's no way he's excepting 750 again

you really think MAB is better then Dago & pac??

g-g-p

ak-p-c-

sk-l-d

moen-metro-white

-a line that checks, hits, and can change the tempo in our favour..

-pacioretty can come in to but is better off playing first line minutes in hamilton

-they sent d'agostini down and he's still way better then MAB at 4th line duties

-BGL is in the same category as MAB when playing forward they both stink. the only reason BGL is fired is because he wont fight where as MAB is still on the point.

obviously with AK out of the lineup & d'ago/ pac sent down were handcuffed but come his return who comes out of the lineup? darche? would that be fair considering he's played excellent on each line he's played on.

MAB is NOT a long term roster player on the habs simple as that!!

there's no way he's excepting 750 again

you really think MAB is better then Dago & pac??

What do you have against MAB? I don't get how you can't see what a bang for his buck he is. Are you just trolling?

and by the way the season started oct 6 & the habs played all of 6 games b4 bergeron played his first game vs atl oct 20!

boy that was some chance spacek had to make the pp work! considering he wasnt even given a full chance there during those 6 games as we tried hammer, gorges, spacek and gomez there in those 6 games.

bergeron came in vs atl got 0 points then 2 g 1 a in his next 2 and weve never looked back.

i'm not saying bergeron is bad on the PP. he plays well there ONLY. but he sucks everywhere else! that 2 me DOES NOT MERIT a roster spot. heading into a 7 game series i dont think we can afford to not role our 4th line regularly. therefore, we should look to alternatives at the point as we await AK's return and bergeron must go in the pressbox.

im saying spacek has played the point on buff and edmonton (great postseason)he's been a + player for 7 straight seasons.... gainey brought him in to replace schneider and he just hasnt been given that chance

He plays on the 2nd powerplay unit, you act as if Spacek never gets any PP time. He worries me at the point, heck he worries me as much as MAB does on D, he will be up there with one of Gaineys worse signing. I had high hopes for him, I saw him play in Buffalo, and was excited. I was excited about Laroque too, and we see how that excitement was rewarded.

You act like Bergeron makes terrible plays on the 4th line that costs the team the game, he BARELY plays, how you can have this much hate for MAB is beyond me, I have two theories. You're either the leader of the MAB hateclub, or you're Spacek himself!!

What do you have against MAB? I don't get how you can't see what a bang for his buck he is. Are you just trolling?

i cant stand when we use defenders at forward! i hated that experiment with streit as well as dandy and i hate it with bergeron. he is a good point shot on the pp i understand that, moving forward though he cannot be a long term solution because he cant play 5 on 5 and will hurt us come playoffs in an important role on the 4th line. WE all know how important hte 4th line is come playoffs. that is why he was unemployed to start the season, that is why he makes only 750 this season and if marky doesnt go down he most likely is still unemployed. he is a defender who cant defend!!

did u see him floating around on that 4th line barely mixing it up last night? sure he swung the puck around on the pp... yeah!

i cant stand when we use defenders at forward! i hated that experiment with streit as well as dandy and i hate it with bergeron. he is a good point shot on the pp i understand that, moving forward though he cannot be a long term solution because he cant play 5 on 5 and will hurt us come playoffs in an important role on the 4th line. WE all know how important hte 4th line is come playoffs. that is why he was unemployed to start the season, that is why he makes only 750 this season and if marky doesnt go down he most likely is still unemployed. he is a defender who cant defend!!

did u see him floating around on that 4th line barely mixing it up last night? sure he swung the puck around on the pp... yeah!

You're describing the entire team! None of them mixed it up, and yes he did have a great power play, if the donkeys in the stripes actually called the penalties like they should have it would have been likely 3-0 after the first period.

If Spacek was better on the PP, MAB wouldn't be needed, until he gets better MAB will be needed. Instead of bitching about MAB, you should bitch about Spaceys crappy play.

He plays on the 2nd powerplay unit, you act as if Spacek never gets any PP time. He worries me at the point, heck he worries me as much as MAB does on D, he will be up there with one of Gaineys worse signing. I had high hopes for him, I saw him play in Buffalo, and was excited. I was excited about Laroque too, and we see how that excitement was rewarded.

You act like Bergeron makes terrible plays on the 4th line that costs the team the game, he BARELY plays, how you can have this much hate for MAB is beyond me, I have two theories. You're either the leader of the MAB hateclub, or you're Spacek himself!!

a little harsh on spacek are we considering he is a +7. is a plus player every year and is a +36 in his last 4 seasons alone compare that to MAB's -20 in his last 4 seasons. not to mention he play like 15 minutes more a night!!!!

spacek, hammer & gorges filled in for marky quite well logging in 20+ a night now marky's back and he can play his proper role on the 2nd pairing.

i dont hate MAB i just dont like him on our 4th line. he's not a top 6 def so he should sit. we have to have another left handed point shot!