Trade Freeze

BlueKross

I do believe that despite popular opinion, there will be all kinds of activity during the freeze period. I believe most of the deals will be consummated during this time and announced post freeze. If you are a seller, you would like to move as quickly as possible so your assets don't get hurt before you can move them. On the other hand if you are a buyer, you don't want to take a player that gets hurt in the Olympics and you want the least amount of cap hit. Also the trade freeze, frees up time where the managers don't have so many day to day issues to worry about; giving them a window to work on trades. If a manager thinks he needs a piece immediately to secure a place in the play-offs, I expect he will come up short anyway and would question his wisdom.

They should definitely be a seller.

Pleks= 1st rounder plus

Hamrlik= Defenseman, hopefully younger and slightly cheaper from a contender, Avs, Washington, Phoenix may have interest

SK, Mara, O'Byrne, Gorges, D'Agi, Metro, can all be added to make other deals better and salary cap, etc.

Trade a Goalie, Price will land you a young player similar to him. Probably straight up.

Halak probably not as high value but paired with a few other may get you a 2nd line center.

Trotter was a center in college. Maxwell hasn't impressed me. They'll need someone.

I expect you'll see White, Pyatt, Pacioretty make the team, maybe as a 4th line.

They will still need a gritty shut down 3rd line center and LW to play with Moen.

Need at east 2 more D, Subban and maybe through trade, UFA.

Definaely need to be sellers and get ready for next year. They'll wind up with 2 first rounders as well .

Pleks= 1st rounder plus

Hamrlik= Defenseman, hopefully younger and slightly cheaper from a contender, Avs, Washington, Phoenix may have interest

SK, Mara, O'Byrne, Gorges, D'Agi, Metro, can all be added to make other deals better and salary cap, etc.

Trade a Goalie, Price will land you a young player similar to him. Probably straight up.

Halak probably not as high value but paired with a few other may get you a 2nd line center.

Trotter was a center in college. Maxwell hasn't impressed me. They'll need someone.

I expect you'll see White, Pyatt, Pacioretty make the team, maybe as a 4th line.

They will still need a gritty shut down 3rd line center and LW to play with Moen.

Definaely need to be sellers and get ready for next year. They'll wind up with 2 first rounders as well .

we definitely need to do a Rivet-kinda-trade with Hamr

nonsense to keep him with our actual $ situation.

+ Spacer would finally play on the LW side :P

Yea, that's what i was thinking, he would actually be a good match for Subban who i beleive is a RD.

Gill on the 3rd pair, preferably with a good skater, puck mover.

Then a partner for Markov is needed.

There is no league or team i know where Gorges is a top pairing guy. He is ok, but really is a solid bottom pair guy.

Yea, that's what i was thinking, he would actually be a good match for Subban who i beleive is a RD.

Gill on the 3rd pair, preferably with a good skater, puck mover.

Then a partner for Markov is needed.

There is no league or team i know where Gorges is a top pairing guy. He is ok, but really is a solid bottom pair guy.

time will arrange things.

Markov doesn't need a Markov as a partner, just someone who skates, is a bit physical and is defense-conscious

Gorges is 2/3 of that in that he is ok in all of those 3 areas.

Pleks= 1st rounder plus

I agree with trading Hammer and crossing our fingers that Spacek can step up. Mara is obviously gonzo, either at the deadline or as a UFA. But most of the other names mentioned here strike me as total overkill. O'Byrne and Gorges?? Why on earth would you trade super-cheap, serviceable players like that? D'Agostini would bring little back either solo or as a package, Metro maybe as a package, but his absence leaves a surprisingly big hole. As for trading a goalie - let's not go there.

Hammer and Mara are the only obvious trade bait. Pleks certainly is, IF Bob doesn't think he can sign the guy. That's about it.

My worst fear is that Bob may still believe that we are a contender. I believe we are a pretender even if we make the play-offs. My fear is Bob won't take this opportunity to increase assets to the full extent because we have outside chance to make play-offs. By the way if the play-offs started yesterday we would have a lottery pick! PURGE! Purge! Purge!

Gill isn't going anywhere. He has one more year, maybe next year before the deadline if the Habs are out of it again.

CC, they don't need to rid themselves of all those dmen, but those are the ones who be moved and easily replaced.

Speaking of Dmen, is Emelin done as far as the habs go? I thought his contract was ending in Russia and could come to North America?

As long as I believe the team will make the playoffs, I could never hope for a bottom 5 in the league season. I have full belief that this team can make it to the dance. Can they go deep or do they get blown out in the first round? Either way it is a learning step for the younger players on the squad. If anything I expect a small move or two. Hammers contract would be nice to get out of, regardless. Give that to Pleks. Require either getting a d-man in return, not likely, or calling up a spetator from the dogs and us having to put up with MAB on the 2nd pairing.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Here's an idea, let's keep O'Byrne. He's big, can skate circles aroung Hall Gill, is only 25, and developing at a slow and steady pace. Oh, and he just won a scrap the other day. He's also affordable, and is the exact player we're going to need to replace Hamrlk minutes when his contract expires, or is traded. Let's see where he is at 28, or 30, we may be really happy we showed some patience.

Here's an idea, let's keep O'Byrne. He's big, can skate circles aroung Hall Gill, is only 25, and developing at a slow and steady pace. Oh, and he just won a scrap the other day. He's also affordable, and is the exact player we're going to need to replace Hamrlk minutes when his contract expires, or is traded. Let's see where he is at 28, or 30, we may be really happy we showed some patience.

Yes...the hate-on for O'Byrne, or else the assumption that he's never going to be any better than he is right now, is all too painfully typical of Habs fans' attitude to young players. Before they get here, they're future stars. Once they get here, they're future stars until they struggle or have ups and downs. Then they're complete garbage that will never amount to anything and should be unloaded. :rolleyes:

Pleks= 1st rounder plus

This team could be in 13th in the East/ 5th worst team in the league by Saturday. If they can't get it figured out before the olympic break, I say sell, sell, sell.

Edited by BCHabnut

Yes...the hate-on for O'Byrne, or else the assumption that he's never going to be any better than he is right now, is all too painfully typical of Habs fans' attitude to young players. Before they get here, they're future stars. Once they get here, they're future stars until they struggle or have ups and downs. Then they're complete garbage that will never amount to anything and should be unloaded. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't trade O'Byrne.

He's over paid.

Still though, raw talent. I think the reason for his underperformance is because of his relationship with the coaching staff. If we could move enough salary to pick him up, I would be ecstatic. I wonder if they would want Hammer back... He's really the only big salary guy we can move at this point, and only if we get a top 2 defensemen back.

Edited by ForumGhost