Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Montreal have to bring in an impact player.

Last try was Samsonov, but it didn't work out. Buying him shouldn't be an option as both Boston and San Jose and maybe even Edmonton should be interested in him.

Boston since he has a history with them, San Jose since they could reunite him with Thornton and get one of the most leathal duos (maybe trio with Cheecho on the right side) and Edmonton could get Samsonov for their own underachiever Nedved. ( or is he a free agent? )

Edmonton doesn't want Samsonov back and I don't think the other two want either.

But do they want to keep Nedved? If Nedved has a year left on his contract then a trade could be motivated. Samsonov has produced earlier in his career and with only a year left someone could be willing to take the chance if they can dump their own problem here. I mean, what is there to lose?

Why buy out two underachiever if they could switch team and maybe start playing by their capabilities? I think Nedved played 40 games with Edmonton and scored one or two goals. Im sure they rather would take the chance of having Samsonov back than buying him out? But is Nedved allready a UFA?

What other overpaid underachieving player with a year left is out there?

Nedved is a UFA and Edmonton has no intentions to bring him back. He was strictly for injury purposes.

The question isn't about switching problems. If this was the old NHL than a trade would be imminent no doubt. Who really wants to pick up an underachiever who makes a 3.525M$ is the real question?

Teams could trade their problems but I can't envision much of a scenario where Bob trades Samsonov for another underachiever who makes less money.

The other possible trading scenario for him would be to ship him to a team who might want to take a risk on him. That would mainly be teams who probably aren't doing so well in the standings. Then again, no matter where the rumors persist, Samsonov has a clause in his contract stipulating that he can only be traded to 10 specific teams he selected unless he says otherwise.

There are other solutions than just buying him out or trading him. If the Habs make him report to Hamilton (he'd have to clear waiver again which shouldn't be problem), well then his salary won't count against the cap.

Nedved is a UFA and Edmonton has no intentions to bring him back. He was strictly for injury purposes.

Teams could trade their problems but I can't envision much of a scenario where Bob trades Samsonov for another underachiever who makes less money.

unless we find a problem player with the same salary.

List of underachieving players (who make 3M$ and up) under contract for the 2007-2008 season who are set to become a UFA at the end of that same season (www.nhlnumbers.com) :

Atlanta --> Bobby Holik [4.25M$]

New York Rangers --> Darius Kasparitus [3.116M$]

St-Louis --> Martin Rucinsky [3M$]

Los Angeles --> Rob Blake [6M$] and he might have an NTC in his contract

Colorado --> Jose Theodore [6M$]

The amounts are their salary and not the cap hit. Rucinsky for example is like a 2.4M$ cap hit and Kasparitus is around 3M$.

I hope Briere signs in BUffalo for 5 years and 7 mil per season.

I listen to the Buffalo Sports Station every morning and Briere said he will give the Sabres a break within reason. His wife DOES NOT want to leave Buffalo and neither does he.

Drury will go for the $$$.

I am worried that what Bobby Clarke did to Vancouver last year (Kesler) may soon knock at Gainey's door. I'm worried that the cap increase might temp GM's to super overspend to rob RFA's. Especially ours.

Some team is going to get burned this summer I believe

I am worried that what Bobby Clarke did to Vancouver last year (Kesler) may soon knock at Gainey's door. I'm worried that the cap increase might temp GM's to super overspend to rob RFA's. Especially ours.

Some team is going to get burned this summer I believe

these things are going to happen more and more

especially with crosby and ovechkin

I'm calling it now. How brave? Predicting probably the obvious. Ha ha :D

But, some team is going to lose a player I believe and they and their fans will be pissed off bigtime.

I hope Gainey makes an offer ton Ovechkin as soon as he's RFA... Maybe he'll want to come play with his friend Markov !!

About Sheldon Souray, I don't know if it has been said before, but he recently opened a pizzeria in Blainville (near montreal). So he now has two restaurants in Montreal (he already owns one with Martin Brodeur). I hope it's an indication he consider staying in Montreal. But I guess it'll be a matter of numbers in the end of the day...

About Sheldon Souray, I don't know if it has been said before, but he recently opened a pizzeria in Blainville (near montreal). So he now has two restaurants in Montreal (he already owns one with Martin Brodeur). I hope it's an indication he consider staying in Montreal. But I guess it'll be a matter of numbers in the end of the day...

It has indeed been mentioned before...

I really dont think it would affect his decision one way or another. As you mentioned, Marty B co-owns one of the restaurants with him and he is in NJ. Players often invest their money on this type of venture, but it never affects their mobility. Jeanne Niinima owns a heavy metal club in chicago, or detroit or something...obviously hasn't affected his mobility :P.

Besides...not like Sheldon runs the place...thank god too...if he makes pizza like he play D...that place owuld be shut down by Health Canada!! :D

The Souray contract is simple, he can say what he wants, but in the words of the Steve Miller band "go on and take the money and run". That's what he'll do, go to the highest bidder in California. The Habs would be insane to give him more then 4 mill per year.

Markov will probably get something like 16 mill for 4 years or something.

Crystal Ball, You can say you heard here first.

That's what i think will happen.

Yeah, I'm brooding over it myself. I hope I didn't come off a being a jerk there. Not my intent. I was interested if there was news or what the scenario was. Cheers

No, I don't take anything personally, just a gut feeling i have. There are plenty people who want him stay I'm not one of them. I think the Sharks or kings will make him a big offer and he'll take it.

Same here, but I'd rather have Teemu.

Good lord...I want teemu on this team soooo badly. I wonder what the chances would be...

I am supposed to be moving to the UK in August, but I would SERIOUSLY consider staying if I knew Teemu was coming...phew...thats would be awseome!

Good lord...I want teemu on this team soooo badly. I wonder what the chances would be...

I am supposed to be moving to the UK in August, but I would SERIOUSLY consider staying if I knew Teemu was coming...phew...thats would be awseome!

Well I think if he wins the Cup with the Ducks this year, the chances of him signing in Montreal would be greater because he wouldn't have any "unfinished business" (no pun intended :P) in Anaheim.

I'd only want a one, maybe two, year deal though.

How can the Habs make a last ditch effort for Souray when talks probably didn't even began or are in the preliminary process ?

Agreed - more Eklund nonsense. From now 'til June 30th is an eternity - lots of time to overpay (that one's for you, Chris!). Last I heard Gainey was waiting for the results of his physical after his surgery.