Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Hey daveHab, Why do have to over the core? In case you haven't noticed, the core stinks.

sorry over pay the cre?

because a full team of bargain players is economical but all in all, will never go anywhere. You need to have atleast one superstar, and you won't get him at a bargain price. You have to overpay your most valuable players because if you don't someone else will.

Bertuzzi will not get 2.5 from any team in the league expect him to bring in about 1-1.7 at the most.

I would be extremely surprised to see his deal be that low.

At that price I would take him in a second, and I can't stand the guy as a person or player.

just want to point out there that GUérin is a UFA and only cost 2m and had a decent season.

Edited by marky_and_komi

I read on another Habs board that the Canadiens signed Janne Lahti of the Finnish Elite League today. We will see if North American news picks up on this...and if it is indeed true.

He turns 25 this summer and lead the league in goalscoring in the playoffs. 6-2 200lbs.

I read on another Habs board that the Canadiens signed Janne Lahti of the Finnish Elite League today. We will see if North American news picks up on this...and if it is indeed true.

He turns 25 this summer and lead the league in goalscoring in the playoffs. 6-2 200lbs.

There's already five pages about it on the HF boards. :lol:

he doesn'T seem has big has you may think

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid%5B%5D=62641

Nah, he's about 2 inches taller and 30 lbs or so heavier.

http://www.onfrozenblog.com/2007/03/30/who-is-janne-lahti/

Hoping for another Streit? Anyways, I trust our scouting system so this would be good news. Maybe that at best he grabs one of the open top 6 spots and that at worst he settles onto the fourth line with Begin and Lapierre.

Why Bob would, on the one hand, sign a Finnish player and on the other end keep saying that 2-3 Hamilton players are NHL-ready? There are not that many spots left on the rooster (3 fowards max)

For depth. And as a back-up plan incase the prospects all appear not to be NHL ready at camp.

He would probably come here at the league minimum, or close to it, so he's cheaper than any NHL options.

Why Bob would, on the one hand, sign a Finnish player and on the other end keep saying that 2-3 Hamilton players are NHL-ready? There are not that many spots left on the rooster (3 fowards max)

What i see in this is that Bob wants depth in scoring abilities at a cheap price.

The more depth the more room you have for trades.

Ya depth is one reason. Another reason is that the Habs do have a stake in the high-performance of the bulldogs. If what Bob says is true and 2-3 of the bulldogs are NHL ready, then they will need to be replaced by somebody (especially now that most draft picks stay in Juniors longer). This new finnish-flash will go to hamilton and further develop. Then again...Bob may leave him in Finland like some of our current prospects out there.

Edited by cfposi

Nah, if he weren't going to bring hi mover, he wouldn't bother signing him. We'd have to pay him for him to play for another organization and do nothing for us. If it's true that he's signed, then he will come over. Whether it will be a one-way contract or a two-way contract is the real question.

These are the type of signings that could really help a team in my new NHL 2.

Unknown fringe players playing in Europe can give you the leverage (Cap Space) you need in order to be able to absorb overpaying for unproductive players (Samsonov, Kovalev). The difference in quality between the NHL and the various European Leagues has diminuished so much that it quite possible to find virtually unknown players to North America, who can jump in and play quality minutes while getting paid the league minimun.

Never underestimate smart, hungry players who are dying to take advantage of the golden opportunity which is given to them; to play in the most competitive league in the world. These players are more willing to lay it all on the line in order to establish their presence in the league. Keep in mind that most of these players play hockey cause they love the sport, not cause they are drawn to the millions which are being thrown at their feet.

These are the type of players I would want on my team.

Just my two cents...

Edited by Helmethead

going back to an "idea" I had when we were discussing Souray...

Let's just trade Sammy to Chicago for Aucoin

They will accept, it won't hurt us as we "replace" Souray's Canon, we get a dman with a right handed shot (to replace Rivet) and we dump Sammy...

It's a win-win situation.

Aucoin can't be worse than Niinimaa, and if he is... we'll just let him walk next summer.

I prefer that over "buying out" Sammy.

Good depth move and it never hurts to gamble a little. There are still a few forward spots open for hamilton players even without injuries. I can't imagine the Habs not adding any NHL experienced forwards as well. If he didn't then we would be in big trouble should a few forwarsd get injured/sick.

Personally I think Gainey will re-sign Souray but he will not target any big names on the free agency market. Kovalev and Samsonov will go, and he might sign one depth forward.

I know we'd like him to make the big moves but I'd rather see him do nothing than jump on and make a disastrous late signing like that of Samsonov again.