Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Well, I didn't rant like I originally planned but my thoughts on Kovalev are in this week's Recap as promised.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2302

That's a nicely thoughtful assessment, dlbalr. Well done as usual. As I said earlier, because one can't just infer that Kovy's performance with us would mirror his performance in Ottawa - that's what it means to be mercurial - I think Kovy *could* work for us as a rental, but there's no question it would be a high-risk high-reward type of move. Gauthier is not the type for such moves, so I don't think it'll happen. Besides, the Markov injury changes the calculation. Between MaxPac, Pouliot and possibly even Eller, we should take our chances up front; I'm ultimately with those who think that if we go for a rental it should involve an impact blueliner. No Kovy for us.

Ironic how we lose the 2 games where Gomez is out....

But I truly believe the HABS gave their all against Detroit and I can live with both defeats... the Detroit game was a test for them... no matter what the outcome

Desharnais not playing in TO must of been a last minute thing...

One to give Boyd one more shot... (wait he did play didnt he? Come to think about it I didnt notice him)

and Two keep Desharnais healthy for ANOTHER NHL team... Desharnais will not play for the Habs again is my guess

Ironic how we lose the 2 games where Gomez is out....

But I truly believe the HABS gave their all against Detroit and I can live with both defeats... the Detroit game was a test for them... no matter what the outcome

Desharnais not playing in TO must of been a last minute thing...

One to give Boyd one more shot... (wait he did play didnt he? Come to think about it I didnt notice him)

and Two keep Desharnais healthy for ANOTHER NHL team... Desharnais will not play for the Habs again is my guess

Boyd isn't getting another shot...he was waived this afternoon.

I feel bad for him, I thought he played well in Detroit. Speculation is that someone will claim him this time.

For his sake... but with whats gonna happen soon... the Bulldogs will need some manpower to alleviate the emmigration

For his sake... but with whats gonna happen soon... the Bulldogs will need some manpower to alleviate the emmigration

If he's claimed, it doesn't mean anyone's coming up to take his place. If Gomez is ready, a guy like Pyatt then becomes the 13th forward. Maxwell is due back in a week or so, Masse remains available in Wheeling, while Schultz is a frequent healthy scratch. The Bulldogs should be alright for now.

If he's claimed, it doesn't mean anyone's coming up to take his place. If Gomez is ready, a guy like Pyatt then becomes the 13th forward. Maxwell is due back in a week or so, Masse remains available in Wheeling, while Schultz is a frequent healthy scratch. The Bulldogs should be alright for now.

Hmmm... (speculation of course) but with the likelihood of a trade implicating desharnais and possibly another (or two?) offensive habs or bulldog. Do Masse and Schultz have offensive upsides?

Hmmm... (speculation of course) but with the likelihood of a trade implicating desharnais and possibly another (or two?) offensive habs or bulldog. Do Masse and Schultz have offensive upsides?

Masse, yes, Schultz not so much. Even with Masse, I'm not convinced he's anything more than the second coming of Michael Lambert - good Q numbers, decent ECHL ones, not good enough for the AHL. Also, are you suggesting you think Desharnais could be dealt, or someone else dealt to make room for Desharnais?

Masse, yes, Schultz not so much. Even with Masse, I'm not convinced he's anything more than the second coming of Michael Lambert - good Q numbers, decent ECHL ones, not good enough for the AHL. Also, are you suggesting you think Desharnais could be dealt, or someone else dealt to make room for Desharnais?

Desharnais is fed up with his situation... He's burning the AHL, Pacioretty is as well, but look, Pac stays in MTL. L'Antichambre said last week that Desharnais' agent had muscled in an ultimatum (play him in the NHL, Habs or any other team)

We can agree that Desharnais future with the team is linked with Gomez's tenure... If the Habs unload Gomez then Desharnais stays. if not well its trade time for the minute forward.

but the Habs cannot have another Halak type trade... Right now they will get stiffed for just Desharnais... they gotta add more players in the mix. If we are after something more than another Eller type player

Desharnais is fed up with his situation... He's burning the AHL, Pacioretty is as well, but look, Pac stays in MTL. L'Antichambre said last week that Desharnais' agent had muscled in an ultimatum (play him in the NHL, Habs or any other team)

We can agree that Desharnais future with the team is linked with Gomez's tenure... If the Habs unload Gomez then Desharnais stays. if not well its trade time for the minute forward.

but the Habs cannot have another Halak type trade... Right now they will get stiffed for just Desharnais... they gotta add more players in the mix. If we are after something more than another Eller type player

To be fair, seems to me AC (someone affiliated with RDS for sure) said the same thing about Carle before (agent ultimatum), turns out that wasn't true. As you said, Desharnais alone has very little value beyond a mid-late pick, I'd have a hard time thinking of more than a couple of teams who'd be able and willing to give him a top-6 shot. If he were to be dealt, he'd basically be a throw in which is why I think he'll stay the season.

If Gomez is ready, a guy like Pyatt then becomes the 13th forward.

Lapierre's probably our worst regular forward in terms of performance. Pyatt is a key PKer. Lapierre does play about 2 minutes extra ES time per game than Pyatt, but Pyatt leads the team in SH TOI/G, and Lapierre only does about 1 shift a game on the PK. Pacioretty for Lapierre at ES, Pyatt stays in his spot. PK is #1 in the league, can keep one of it's top contributors.

Only other logical sub option would be Darche, IMO.

I can't pretend to be an expert on Habs' prospects, but on the face of it I think Desharnais has every right to be feel he warrants a legitimate chance in the NHL. If he weren't a shrimp, don't you think he'd be highly touted? His numbers bespeak outright dominance at his present level. While it is true that the Habs have a glut at C (at least with Gomer in the lineup) as well as a size issue, to what extent is this simply more of the Briere-on-waivers syndrome, irrationally devaluaing the little man?

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Lapierre's probably our worst regular forward in terms of performance. Pyatt is a key PKer. Lapierre does play about 2 minutes extra ES time per game than Pyatt, but Pyatt leads the team in SH TOI/G, and Lapierre only does about 1 shift a game on the PK. Pacioretty for Lapierre at ES, Pyatt stays in his spot. PK is #1 in the league, can keep one of it's top contributors.

Only other logical sub option would be Darche, IMO.

Honestly, I agree, I'd prefer Pyatt over Lapierre for sure. Judging by how quickly Pyatt was sat down the last game though, it suggests to me that he may be the one on the outs, especially if the odd lines at practice are legit and not just shake up ones.

To be fair, seems to me AC (someone affiliated with RDS for sure) said the same thing about Carle before (agent ultimatum), turns out that wasn't true. As you said, Desharnais alone has very little value beyond a mid-late pick, I'd have a hard time thinking of more than a couple of teams who'd be able and willing to give him a top-6 shot. If he were to be dealt, he'd basically be a throw in which is why I think he'll stay the season.

I agree but ONLY if Pacioretty or Pouliot explode and become our needed top 6 winger(s)...(Holy ^%$@ imagine both do!??!?!? )

If not how else are we trading for a top 6, if not with Desharnais in the mix? (I hope we dont trade both Pacioretty and Pouliot, One yes but not both!!??!)

Edited by CoRvInA

I can't pretend to be an expert on Habs' prospects, but on the face of it I think Desharnais has every right to be feel he warrants a legitimate chance in the NHL. If he weren't a shrimp, don't you think he'd be highly touted? His numbers bespeak outright dominance at his present level. While it is true that the Habs have a glut at C (at least with Gomer in the lineup) as well as a size issue, to what extent is this simply more of the Briere-on-waivers syndrome, irrationally devaluaing the little man?

The only problem with the Briere comparison is that Briere had played 100+ games in the NHL

at the same age as Desharnais right now and he did it in an era when little guys not named Fleury

or St. Louis had little to no chance because of GM bias.

Some guys are just a little to good for the AHL, but cannot replicate the same success in the NHL

on the top two lines. If they are small and cannot fill a 3rd or 4th line role in the NHL they will spend

the rest of their career looking for a role in the NHL or dominating the AHL (ie. Corey Locke).

Locke dominated the OHL and has begun to put up PPG+ numbers in the AHL over the last 4 years,

but when you watched him on the Bulldogs nothing about him screamed NHLer. He is an offensive

player and hasn't been able to re-invent himself for an NHL role.

Stats won't give you the real story, you have to see these players play. There are guys who will rarely

sniff a PPG in the AHL but be dominant in one or two facets (ie. PK, faceoffs, defensively conscious)

who will find jobs more regularly than the second tier offensive threat.

I have never really seen DD play, but I wouldn't proclaim him a guy deserving of a legit shot without

seeing him play regularly.

Desharnais deserves a look in a sense, it's just whether or not the Habs are the right team to do that with. He is, in essence, too good for the AHL. But that doesn't make him a valuable (or even viable) NHLer. It makes him worth getting a shot somewhere.

Center is actually our strongest position depth-wise. We're just down Gomez and Maxwell right now.

I agree but ONLY if Pacioretty or Pouliot explode and become our needed top 6 winger(s)...(Holy ^%$@ imagine both do!??!?!? )

If not how else are we trading for a top 6, if not with Desharnais in the mix? (I hope we dont trade both Pacioretty and Pouliot, One yes but not both!!??!)

If you're trading a top-6 winger to the Habs, does the prospect of acquiring an undersized AHL scorer really entice you to make the deal? Desharnais, as Wamsley noted in another post, is too good for the AHL, but at least in my opinion, isn't interesting to 80% of the league. He's too small and his skating clearly is not at NHL standards. A player like Maxwell, with a lower offensive ceiling, has significantly more value than Desharnais does at this time. That doesn't mean Desharnais can't and won't be an NHL'er, but he needs a chance...and teams aren't going to be lining up to give him one.

If you're trading a top-6 winger to the Habs, does the prospect of acquiring an undersized AHL scorer really entice you to make the deal? Desharnais, as Wamsley noted in another post, is too good for the AHL, but at least in my opinion, isn't interesting to 80% of the league. He's too small and his skating clearly is not at NHL standards. A player like Maxwell, with a lower offensive ceiling, has significantly more value than Desharnais does at this time. That doesn't mean Desharnais can't and won't be an NHL'er, but he needs a chance...and teams aren't going to be lining up to give him one.

Again agreed, but your right when all things equal.

team circumstances differ... e.g. Boston traded Strum (if healthy) a top 6 forward for what?....a bag of pucks

Brian Rolston was just waived by NJ. You think the Habs would pick him up on re

entry?

Did Rejean Houle take over in NJ?

They are beginning to resemble the late 90s Canadiens, I think we stole our identity back!!!

Brian Rolston was just waived by NJ. You think the Habs would pick him up on re

entry?

Not with those 2 years left at over 5 mill a year... he would be GOMEZ number 2

re-entry would be half price.

Ahhhh.. he only has 2 years left (Counting this season)... so he would cost 5 million for only one year.... I thought he had two left... hmm still

if he decides to retire next season were stuck with 5 mil Cap hit

guys guys .. This old goat knows about re-entry half price... Don't always think about today... think about TOMORROW ;)

Edited by CoRvInA