Dominic Moore in Montreal

rafikz

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever the Habs are over the cap by this year, that amount will be deducted from next season's cap. Right now, that figure ain't pretty. As for the Frolov rumour, the deal as reported would immediately be vetoed by the NHL because of the cap situation.

Could they veto the Moore move? Is the deal official? And I thought we were at the limit of players move, were we?

If that's the case (even with Kostitsyn applied retoractively?), and this trade goes down as is, then the Habs must be under the cap. Simple as that, really.

Maxwell has been officially sent down...that puts them under the cushion.

Could they veto the Moore move? Is the deal official? And I thought we were at the limit of players move, were we?

Deal is now official, no limit on player trades. If you're referring to the 50-contract limit, the Habs are now at 49 having lost Leach/Chipchura earlier this year.

If we trade a 2nd rounder (not this draft, next draft) for Moore, Gauthier is crucified. What if he would have traded Metropolit or Lapierre for an equivalent pick? He'd still be crucified. What if he did nothing? He'd be crucified.

Firstly, while there are some gems to be found in the 2nd round, I think we shouldn't blow this out of proportion. A 2nd rounder which is a year and a half away from being used, means we'll have plenty of time to trade for a similar pick to replace it.

Second, from the limited times I've seen Moore play, and the bits of information I have about him during his time with the leafs, I do believe he isn't a player who is paid to score points, as much as he is to be a hard working, experienced vet. Depth is very important, expecially come the playoffs, and we can certainly use a guy of his caliber as a centerman in our bottom 6 forwards.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's the best trade, but I don't think it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be. If there is indeed another trade coming, it likely means we're giving up more roster players than we're receiving, and Gauthier was not alright with giving the AHLers a bigger role than they currently have. Let's see what happens.

Seb, the problem isn't in how much we lose the trade by, it's that there doesn't seem to be ANY reason to make the trade at all. Imagine we'd traded a 5th for a 4th. It barely matters - but why the hell would we do it?

And I think people would have been happy with a 2nd for Metropolit and satisfied with a 2nd for Lapierre.

Maxwell has been officially sent down...that puts them under the cushion.

Deal is now official, no limit on player trades. If you're referring to the 50-contract limit, the Habs are now at 49 having lost Leach/Chipchura earlier this year.

Still feels like an anticipatory move to me. If it isn't, this trade just looks dumb to me.

you would think if this was part of something bigger it would be done right after this trade was made????

unless we are just taking the word of another gm or we are making a trade with a team that is playing tonight..

Dallas ,Calgary

Edmonton , Los Angeles

Edited by KEEP26

The cap spreadsheet on the front page now has Maxwell's demotion noted to reflect how little the Habs are under the bonus cushion.

The Habs can still send Subban, Pyatt, and Desharnais to the AHL after Saturday's game, correct?

Depends if the roster minimums are in effect (18/2). If so, then someone will have to stay; otherwise, they all could go.

Even if that's the case, they might activate Kostitsyn or Mara just to send those guys down.

What it boils down to is which center do you prefer as our third line center? The current choices are Maxwell,Trotter,lapierre,Metropolite or Moore. My obvious and personal choice is Moore therefore I don't think that this trade will turn around and bite me. My hockey sense keeps telling me that Plekanec will be traded before the trade deadline.

Even if that's the case, they might activate Kostitsyn or Mara just to send those guys down.

Very good point, never thought of that option. Pouliot could be an option as well. Hopefully Gauthier and co. are thinking like that as well.

Oh, and Moore will wear #42.

So they essentially added Moore and changed Maxwell for Subban, allowing them one extra skater for the back-to-back, in case they need to use them on Saturday. Then they'll send all the AHL guys to the minors after Saturday's game and they'll get through this tight spot cap wise before making all the neccesary moves on Mar. 3.

I don't expect any more moves until after the Olympics.

Er, hopefully Moore doesn't have visa issues like many other players do when they get dealt!

Very good point, never thought of that option. Pouliot could be an option as well. Hopefully Gauthier and co. are thinking like that as well.

Oh, and Moore will wear #42.

Sigh... I guess Perezhogin's not coming back this year... ^_^

Why do people think he is an upgrade on Metro.. Metro has similar numbers but a better plus minus. I think Metro is doing just fine. why give up a draft pick for something you don't need.

I still think there better be more to this...

A story was told by an Ottawa writer about how Gauthier is an odd-ball. Apparently he likes cookies. And went to get some, only to find out his cookie of choice was gone, eaten by the reporters. The next day a sign was posted, "one cookie per person". I miss Bob already...

Why do people think he is an upgrade on Metro.. Metro has similar numbers but a better plus minus. I think Metro is doing just fine. why give up a draft pick for something you don't need.

I still think there better be more to this...

I think a big key is the faceoffs - Moore becomes #1 by a mile in that regard.

Either we have added another piece to a big trade

or

Being from Leaf land i get the pleasure of seeing all the leaf games, and when moore was with the leafs i always thought of him as a player who appeared tough to play against, he's fast, has some grit and a dirty side...... the current habs are not a tough team to play against, perhaps gauthier is simply adding things that he feels the team needs. I don't mind the trade, a 2nd could be a little steep, but not if he plays the way he can.