D'Agostini Traded for Aaron Palushaj

koivu-11

I don't know how anyone can be annoyed with this one. Most people wanted D'agostini waived outright. The Habs actually yielded a warm body in return for him. A former 2nd rounder at that (not that it means anything).

:clap:

Yeah.. Deadline is over, no more stupidity about trading Price or Halak.

Not until the entry draft lol.

I'm basically relieved. The worst-case scenario would have involved trading young talent or high picks for immediate, short-term help. We *did* do this with Moore, which is why I was annoyed with that deal, but the important thing is that the Moore trade did not set a pattern.

The best-case scenario would have involved trading expensive veterans for good young talent. We didn't do this either, but I can't be angered by that simply because I do not subscribe to the scortched-earth model of franchise building. Nor do I believe that we *need* to blow the team up - I say we're only a 2-3 good players + a more effective team system + continued goalie maturation away from contending, and much of this can come from within.

The scenario we actually saw was a Pouliot-style trade, a swap of two interesting young prospects. That seems to be a very 'Gauthier' move and he has a track record of success with such moves, so I have no beef with this.

The real work for this organization going forward consists in cap management and internal player development. I don't see blockbuster deals as the path to glory *unless* it's part of the cap management thing.

A good day for Gauthier: cool-headed and responsible. Well done - especially since Gauthier's inaction didn't come with a batch of wild rumours about the Habs going for big-name veteran X or Y, meaning that his inaction was deliberate and not just a result of striking out. He showed that his head is in the right place philosophically. That's reassuring.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

This is a SMART trade. D'Agostini was not ready and as you have seen Martin has no room for young players to develop in his line ups. Aaron is 6' and will be fine as soon as he puts on some weight and strength. I like his multiple point games for Peoria. What, he is 21, we have control of him for 2 years. Pierre you have done good. I would like to see more of the bulldogs older roster turned over to younger players. I think GM's are starting to get it, that you got to spend more time managing your younger assets.

You have seen to-day an unprecedented amount of prospects included in deals. Prospects are one of the new currencies. Another new currency is cap space; and hopefully GM's will soon get a handle on it.

I'm basically relieved. The worst-case scenario would have involved trading young talent or high picks for immediate, short-term help. We *did* do this with Moore, which is why I was annoyed with that deal, but the important thing is that the Moore trade did not set a pattern.

The best-case scenario would have involved trading expensive veterans for good young talent. We didn't do this either, but I can't be angered by that simply because I do not subscribe to the scortched-earth model of franchise building. Nor do I believe that we *need* to blow the team up - I say we're only a 2-3 good players + a more effective team system + continued goalie maturation away from contending, and much of this can come from within.

The scenario we actually saw was a Pouliot-style trade, a swap of two interesting young prospects. That seems to be a very 'Gauthier' move and he has a track record of success with such moves, so I have no beef with this.

The real work for this organization going forward consists in cap management and internal player development. I don't see blockbuster deals as the path to glory *unless* it's part of the cap management thing.

A good day for Gauthier: cool-headed and responsible. Well done - especially since Gauthier's inaction didn't come with a batch of wild rumours about the Habs going for big-name veteran X or Y, meaning that his inaction was deliberate and not just a result of striking out. He showed that his head is in the right place philosophically. That's reassuring.

Yes we might be 2-3 good players away from a really good team but that are 2-3 good players that we arent even close to being able to fit under the cap so this team needs to dump alot of salary. Next season we will be 4-5 players away from a good team since we cant afford to resign players.

Yes we might be 2-3 good players away from a really good team but that are 2-3 good players that we arent even close to being able to fit under the cap so this team needs to dump alot of salary. Next season we will be 4-5 players away from a good team since we cant afford to resign players.

Those mysterious 2-3 players will have to come from within, and therefore cheaply. Subban is one. Pacioretty may be another. If the former becomes a top-4 guy and the latter a legitimate top-6er, suddenly this team, as it is, looks pretty freaking good. That could happen inexpensively within a 2-3 year window. Of course, can we keep Pleks/A. Kostitysn, Price & Halak, etc.? Beats me. But sorry, I don't see gutting the current core as some sort of foregone conclusion.

The pessimism is inevitable on boards like these, but - while I concede that I have no incredible expertise on the cap - it does get tiresome. None of our RFAs except Halak and of course Plekanec seem to be self-evidently in line for substantial raises. Money will be saved elsewhere by the departures of guys like Mara (and Laraque is already off the cap). Let's at least see what happens this summer before throwing up our hands and concluding that the Habs are doomed not to be able to build upon the present core from within going forward.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

So nothing more to the Moore deal before the Olympics.....................waste of a pick IMO.

Gauthier today said Moore was brought in to fill the 3rd line center need, deal done before the Olympics in order to allow him time to fit it before play resumed after the break. He also said no need to make major moves if you have a plan. The plan calls for allowing the team time to jell together, time needed because of the major changes made during the off season. It seems his reasoning was sound.

Gauthier can be let off the hook if he retains Moore so it's OK if he does that. If not it's a fail! But I have to believe that they have coveted him and maybe for a while. It seems logical he is signed this summer.

I've had threads before about this... We're only as good as our 4th line is...I believe it was... and the game versus Boston proves Moore like players are always needed in the bottom 2 lines.

Plus even if Moore leaves us in the summer we have until this same time next year to recup that pick

Gauthier can be let off the hook if he retains Moore so it's OK if he does that. If not it's a fail! But I have to believe that they have coveted him and maybe for a while. It seems logical he is signed this summer.

With how long Moore had to wait to sign this season, and how low his point totals are I think if PG offers him a deal at about 4 year for 5 million he will sign.

With how long Moore had to wait to sign this season, and how low his point totals are I think if PG offers him a deal at about 4 year for 5 million he will sign.
I like his game so far so I don't mind him...yet. The question is how much is this Florida's fault for being a graveyard versus Moore's questionable signing and scratch time? My gut feeling is that this player got kicked around from Toronto to Buffalo and had a dumb agent. The situation seems to me to suggest he wants to settle down, make his mark and get back to playing and being a regular NHL'er. Hopefully he believes that there's no better place to do that with a Canadian based team that had so much faith in you that they spent a 2nd rounder on ya. CH

Hope I'm right.

Moore works as a third line center once Metro is gone. But we picked him up before then still confuses me a bit.

Moore is to 5 on 5 and the PK what Metro is to the PP. Metro can't do all those things, he's a luxury item. He isn't a good 5 on 5 player at all, and needs to be sheltered. The goals against Boston came against Ference-Hunwick, not against top notch d-men. Good coaching can still make Metro useful. But at 35/36, he's hitting the end of the road in the NHL.

Moore gives a solid 15 minutes and allows Metro to give a more effective 12. That's how it works. And Lapierre was awful at C this year (and none of the young 'ins were ready to jump to #3), so it gives Max a chance to play wing and have free reign to hit, forecheck, and annoy the opposition without worrying about the defensive responsibilities that he couldn't handle when playing centre.

Moore is to 5 on 5 and the PK what Metro is to the PP. Metro can't do all those things, he's a luxury item. He isn't a good 5 on 5 player at all, and needs to be sheltered. The goals against Boston came against Ference-Hunwick, not against top notch d-men. Good coaching can still make Metro useful. But at 35/36, he's hitting the end of the road in the NHL.

Moore gives a solid 15 minutes and allows Metro to give a more effective 12. That's how it works. And Lapierre was awful at C this year (and none of the young 'ins were ready to jump to #3), so it gives Max a chance to play wing and have free reign to hit, forecheck, and annoy the opposition without worrying about the defensive responsibilities that he couldn't handle when playing centre.

Sounds good to me! I really lilked the way Moore played against the Ruins :hockey:

Full agreement.... and no I'm not trying to lessen your respect on the board. :unsure: