Who Would You Wanna Play In The 1st Round?

ForumGhost

Who Would You Wanna Play In The 1st Round?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Easy as it sounds.

• Washington
    • Pittsburgh
    • New Jersey
    • Buffalo

No easy choice. Buffalo seems to be the easiest overall roster, until you run into Ryan Miller.

I think I'd go with Washington. Their D is probably the kind we'd match-up best against.

That being said, on paper, we match up to any of those teams, and they all match-up to each other. We might not have one of those big gun like Ovie, Crosby, Kovalchuk or Malkin, but we possibly have the most balanced top 2 lines and scoring depth. Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta and Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn can both be a handful. If the depth lines can keep causing trouble and abuse the opponent's 3rd D pair, I like our chances.

With the Senators and Sabres both having problems, who says the Habs cant win the division? They're only 6 pts behind Buff and 3 behind Ott :D I think they would be the easiest opponent :)

I'd say Jersey is the worst opponent, followed by Pitts. Washington have a scary attack power, but they need more defense before they can win a cup IMO.

Is it possible the much maligned Moore deal actually solidified our bottom six enough that we've stopped being so pessimistic for now in order to look ahead? I was never happy with that deal, but let's be honest, Moore is the kind of tonic that is exactly what the doctor ordered, so to speak.

The longer this goes, the more it reminds me of Gainey's pick-up of Begin on the waiver wire so many years ago. A legit bottom six guy who really legitimized our depth to a significant degree.

With the Senators and Sabres both having problems, who says the Habs cant win the division? They're only 6 pts behind Buff and 3 behind Ott :D I think they would be the easiest opponent :)

I'd say Jersey is the worst opponent, followed by Pitts. Washington have a scary attack power, but they need more defense before they can win a cup IMO.

I could be wrong, but haven't we done quite well against Jersey this year? I know we have only played pre-Kovalchuk Jersey, but he hasn't really added as much punch as they had hoped.

They're is one reason why I fear Jersey. Brodeur.

As for our games against them this year..

Dec 16 L 2-1

Jan 9 OTL 2-1

Jan 22 W 3-1

1-1-1.. not so bad

Edited by Jean

Yep, they haven't earned a playoff spot.

I agree. My general sentiment is "whoever is the lowest seed", meaning they've finished as high as possible. But I can't be thinking about matching up against a specific team... too many games to play yet.

That being said, I'm comfortable in the knowledge that to date, the Habs have earned their #7 position. Only Boston at #8 can overtake that position, and they haven't proven that they're more deserving of it to date. And of all the teams ranked 9th through 15th, the Habs have demonstrated overall that they are better than them. Only the Rangers have a better GAA than the Habs, and the Habs are a better scoring team than them. The rest of the teams are clearly worse defensively, and not gifted enough offensively to make up the difference. There's a case to made that the Habs are at least equal to Ottawa. Philly has been a bit unlucky to be behind Ottawa, at the very least. +18 goal differential for Philly and -11 for Ottawa (Montreal is -3, though much greater if you remove the OT/SO goals).

Is it possible the much maligned Moore deal actually solidified our bottom six enough that we've stopped being so pessimistic for now in order to look ahead? I was never happy with that deal, but let's be honest, Moore is the kind of tonic that is exactly what the doctor ordered, so to speak.

The longer this goes, the more it reminds me of Gainey's pick-up of Begin on the waiver wire so many years ago. A legit bottom six guy who really legitimized our depth to a significant degree.

A nice parallel, yeah. I absolutely lambasted the Moore deal, and I'm not quite prepared to eat all my words, because arguably we *did* give up too much; but there's no denying Moore has helped. Indeed, Moore is exactly the type of acquisition in which Gauthier has specialized in his years as an NHL GM: a low-profile minor move that clearly improves the team in small but significant ways. This seems to have been practically all he did in Anaheim. Obviously he hasn't lost his touch - such as it is.

As for the poll, all those teams are trouble. It feels too much like bad karma to wish for one!

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

A nice parallel, yeah. I absolutely lambasted the Moore deal, and I'm not quite prepared to eat all my words, because arguably we *did* give up too much; but there's no denying Moore has helped. Indeed, Moore is exactly the type of acquisition in which Gauthier has specialized in his years as an NHL GM: a low-profile minor move that clearly improves the team in small but significant ways. This seems to have been practically all he did in Anaheim. Obviously he hasn't lost his touch - such as it is.

As for the poll, all those teams are trouble. It feels too much like bad karma to wish for one!

It is bad luck to think of which team a team will play in a playoff before you are in the playoff......