GDT: Game 5 ECF, Montreal vs Philadelphia

dlbalr

Obviously, we're not getting the tape-to-tape passing and quick, alert puck support we had for most games prior to this series. To me, it is obvious these guys are tired. They just don't have that extra jump they need (although Gill at least seems to be recovering his earlier form). MAB is playing with zero confidence and that is doing huge damage to our PP. And the loss of Markov, especially under those circumstances, is HUGE. Subban staunched the bleeding briefly, but when it comes down to it this team cannot win at this level without Markov. Period.

More fundamentally, our roster just isn't deep enough in top-6 talent. As Wamsley said a while back, what happens when Gio and Cammy stop scoring on every third shot? Well, now we know. The Flyers had a game plan to neutralize these off-the-rush speedsters. And we have no one else to pick up the ball. Watching Darche on the scoring lines, and AK and Pouliot flailing around uselessly out there...you can't have that kind of garbage out there and win.

All the same, this has been a phenomenal playoff. While we all feel sour now, we should keep in mind how splendidly this team performed to get here. But that won't stop the inevitable flood of embittered blame-gaming of course :rolleyes:

I was at Game 4 and this has everything to do with Philly concentrating on the defensive end and clogging

the neutral zone. I had a perfect view of the formations and all I saw for 50 minutes was the left wing lock.

Three guys lined up in the neutral zone negating any offense of the rush.

They have called the Habs out and they have not responded. Just like Montreal called out Washington. They are

forcing them to do things they DO NOT want to do and that is get dirty, win one on one battles and cycle down low.

They took away their counter ability and banked that their offensive players like Richards, Gagne, Giroux, Briere

and now Carter would bury their counter opportunities. They have a Hall of Famer running their PP, not a 21 year old,

a shot Hamrlik or a one trick pony in Bergeron.

They don't need need a strong goalie to beat the Habs. I am frustrated in watching Leighton, not because he has been

good, but because he is so inept yet the Habs can't make him pay. The guy cannot move side to side, he is brutal.

The Pens/Caps never concerned themselves with stopping Montreal, they never offered that type of respect.

This was ALWAYS going to end this way because the Canadiens are a flawed team. All this run did was jack up

Halak's contract demands and pad the Molson's wallets. Halak's Conference Finals flameout will not affect his

contract demands.

Edited by Wamsley01

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this run did was jack up

Halak's contract demands and pad the Molson's wallets. Halak's Conference Finals flameout will not affect his

contract demands.

And he's not worth it, is he, then? We would have done just as well or better with Price, who is after all the future of the franchise?

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Edited by tomh009

I was at Game 4 and this has everything to do with Philly concentrating on the defensive end and clogging

the neutral zone. I had a perfect view of the formations and all I saw for 50 minutes was the left wing lock.

Three guys lined up in the neutral zone negating any offense of the rush.

They have called the Habs out and they have not responded. Just like Montreal called out Washington. They are

forcing them to do things they DO NOT want to do and that is get dirty, win one on one battles and cycle down low.

They took away their counter ability and banked that their offensive players like Richards, Gagne, Giroux, Briere

and now Carter would bury their counter opportunities. They have a Hall of Famer running their PP, not a 21 year old,

a shot Hamrlik or a one trick pony in Bergeron.

They don't need need a strong goalie to beat the Habs. I am frustrated in watching Leighton, not because he has been

good, but because he is so inept yet the Habs can't make him pay. The guy cannot move side to side, he is brutal.

The Pens/Caps never concerned themselves with stopping Montreal, they never offered that type of respect.

This was ALWAYS going to end this way because the Canadiens are a flawed team. All this run did was jack up

contract demands.

Agreed, but I don't like your tone in the last sentence. In today's NHL you have to enjoy the run, enjoy the ride in itself. Winning the Cup only happens if you are a strong team AND everything breaks your way. This has been an absolute joy. That's worth something in itself - a lot.

And - GOMER! :hlogo:

And he's not worth it, is he, then? We would have done just as well or better with Price, who is after all the future of the franchise?

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Who said anything about Price?

Agreed, but I don't like your tone in the last sentence. In today's NHL you have to enjoy the run, enjoy the ride in itself. Winning the Cup only happens if you are a strong team AND everything breaks your way. This has been an absolute joy. That's worth something in itself - a lot.

And - GOMER! :hlogo:

I have enjoyed it, but I never got caught up in the "just like 93 or 86" nonsense.

Get the puck on this stiff!! Leighton is utterly useless

Edited by Wamsley01

Who said anything about Price?

Since you're bitching about Halak -- without whom I don't think we would have made it into the playoffs -- clearly you prefer the alternative.

Since you're bitching about Halak -- without whom I don't think we would have made it into the playoffs -- clearly you prefer the alternative.

I was bitching about Halak because I said he flamed out in the Conference Finals?

The guy had a .930 entering the Conference Finals and has an .880 against Philly. I said he is going

to get a big contract and his .880 SV% will not change that.

What does that have to do with Price?

wow, what a lazy lazy penalty by Metropolitan!! wow

PP killed us in this series....non existent

CANT HAVE METRO and MAB out there....

WOW

great run by HABS, but wow, not the way to exit the playoffs..

Obviously, we're not getting the tape-to-tape passing and quick, alert puck support we had for most games prior to this series. To me, it is obvious these guys are tired. They just don't have that extra jump they need (although Gill at least seems to be recovering his earlier form). MAB is playing with zero confidence and that is doing huge damage to our PP. And the loss of Markov, especially under those circumstances, is HUGE. Subban staunched the bleeding briefly, but when it comes down to it this team cannot win at this level without Markov. Period.

More fundamentally, our roster just isn't deep enough in top-6 talent. As Wamsley said a while back, what happens when Gio and Cammy stop scoring on every third shot? Well, now we know. The Flyers had a game plan to neutralize these off-the-rush speedsters. And we have no one else to pick up the ball. Watching Darche on the scoring lines, and AK and Pouliot flailing around uselessly out there...you can't have that kind of garbage out there and win.

All the same, this has been a phenomenal playoff. While we all feel sour now, we should keep in mind how splendidly this team performed to get here. But that won't stop the inevitable flood of embittered blame-gaming of course :rolleyes:

I have to agree. this team has been the talk of the NHL. I was not and am not expecting a win tonight. I think they're dog tired. And without Markov they just don't have it on the powerplay and much more.

Brave efforts and performance beyond expectations, though I thought we could play some good hockey going in , win or lose.

Cheers to the 2010 HABS whether we can make it through this game or not.

I have to agree. this team has been the talk of the NHL. I was not and am not expecting a win tonight. I think they're dog tired. And without Markov they just don't have it on the powerplay and much more.

Brave efforts and performance beyond expectations, though I thought we could play some good hockey going in , win or lose.

Cheers to the 2010 HABS whether we can make it through this game or not.

I'll second that.

The most ######ed shit I've ever seen in my life. I dunno how any of you can be happy. Sure the habs had no expectations, but to lose like this...I wish we never made the playoffs.

GO Hawks GO! Beat these turkeys and shut up this damn philly fans :angry: