GDT: Habs vs Leafs

dlbalr

I can't believe how bad Pouliot is looking and I really wish they had sent down Darche or Halpern rather then White. Eller has looked good, but overall this has been a pretty crappy effort.

Mario Tremblay agrees with you. He's on RDS, and said Eller has surpassed him.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The D has made some colossal errors tonight.

I would be prepared for a long season of errors from the D. To me the lack of change to the D was the most puzzling to me. You have Markov and Gorges who are dependable, Subban who will be great one day, but will make a lot of errors while he learns and Gill who is effective as long he is used in a limited role. I would have liked to have seen the habs upgrade the D and take the same approach with Hamrlik as the Rangers did with Redden. Spacek we are stuck with, since he was signed when he was over 35.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I can't believe we gave Pouliot a $600.000 raise.

yep, I didn't get how an RFA who did nothing for the later half of his season could get a raise that big.

I would be prepared for a long season of errors from the D. To me the lack of change to the D was the most puzzling to me. You have Markov and Gorges who are dependable, Subban who will be great one day, but will make a lot of errors while he learns and Gill who is effective as long he is used in a limited role. I would have liked to have seen the habs upgrade the D and take the same approach with Hamrlik as the Rangers did with Redden. Spacek we are stuck with, since he was signed when he was over 35.

The D will be fine, they are playing two AHL defensemen tonight in place of their biggest minute eaters.

All of the complaints have fixes on the roster. Markov and Cammalleri will help the PP.

Markov and Hamrlik will push Picard and O'Byrne to the pressbox.

They have played a better game than the one they won in the opener last season.

Step one to improve our PP... Subban should be shooting, not Spacek.

Spacek shouldn't even be on the ice. The media has been critical of Subban's decision making while he is LEARNING. What's Spacek's excuse???

Great work by Pleks and Gionta on the PK.

The D will be fine, they are playing two AHL defensemen tonight in place of their biggest minute eaters.

All of the complaints have fixes on the roster. Markov and Cammalleri will help the PP.

I think Markov will naturally help the D as well as the PP - I don't have as much faith in Hamrlik as you do.

It would be quite a different game with these guys for sure.

Nice save by Price... good to see.

Well, close game at least. the Habs were pretty bad in the passing departments. Good try to tie it up..

We definitely need Cammy and Markov back, but they need to get better flow overall. the leafs had some nice rush plays, we seemed to struggle to do much more then scramble plays.

Well, close game at least. the Habs were pretty bad in the passing departments. Good try to tie it up..

We definitely need Cammy and Markov back, but they need to get better flow overall. the leafs had some nice rush plays, we seemed to struggle to do much more then scramble plays.

The Leafs looked awful in their own end. Lots of turnovers and very soft on the puck.

yep, I didn't get how an RFA who did nothing for the later half of his season could get a raise that big.

A former top-5 pick who scores at a 20+ goal pace after being acquired and facing arbitration. I expected him to get less but in hindsight, that was pretty naive of me all things considered. He had some decent moments tonight I thought.

Habs played well for 2 periods, should've realized the game didn't start at 8 though, that did them in. Quite impressed with the Pyatt-Boyd-Lapierre line, all energy, all the time. Halpern looked solid, he'll prove to be one of the more underrated moves of the Habs' offseason. Eller played well enough that Martin will have a hard time moving him back down, nothing wrong with that for a Habs debut. Price, the 3rd goal was a little iffy but he held the team in it, a decent outing for him.

The one thing I paid attention to that impressed me the most was Martin double shifting Gionta/Gomez right before the scheduled commercial stoppages to try and get a goal. Unfortunately there were some instances where 4 minutes of non-stop play ensued which nullified its effectiveness but it was still good to see from a team who looked a lot more aggressive than this time last season.

All in all, a quality effort tonight, hard not to be disappointed in the score but there were lots of things to be happy about.

I think Spacek is shooting, because he has a good hard low shot. I think he needs to keep hammering it. It reduces predictability. PK is money! I can't believe all the garbage about this team not improving. I think Subaan and Eller make this team better.

I know Gionta and Gomez looked good in the third, but it's disheartening to see they plain just didn't show up in the first two periods. I do know though, Eller has made me a believer in his skills, not claiming he's a 1-2 line player right now, but he was all over the ice and noticable.

I have OB in my favourite players, and I really hope he can get it, he's just not piecing it all together, it's a shame.

Pouliot looked bad tonight, but really I'm not too pissed at the entire effort, Price made that huge save on Kessel to keep the team in the game and thats what you want in your goalie.

Whats everyone think, Cammy back with Plek/Akost (who looked decent tonight too), and Eller with Gomez/Gionta sat night?

A former top-5 pick who scores at a 20+ goal pace after being acquired and facing arbitration. I expected him to get less but in hindsight, that was pretty naive of me all things considered. He had some decent moments tonight I thought.

Habs played well for 2 periods, should've realized the game didn't start at 8 though, that did them in. Quite impressed with the Pyatt-Boyd-Lapierre line, all energy, all the time. Halpern looked solid, he'll prove to be one of the more underrated moves of the Habs' offseason. Eller played well enough that Martin will have a hard time moving him back down, nothing wrong with that for a Habs debut. Price, the 3rd goal was a little iffy but he held the team in it, a decent outing for him.

The one thing I paid attention to that impressed me the most was Martin double shifting Gionta/Gomez right before the scheduled commercial stoppages to try and get a goal. Unfortunately there were some instances where 4 minutes of non-stop play ensued which nullified its effectiveness but it was still good to see from a team who looked a lot more aggressive than this time last season.

All in all, a quality effort tonight, hard not to be disappointed in the score but there were lots of things to be happy about.

This

I liked Kostitsyn tonight. He didn't have any points or highlight reel moment, but i thought he actually cared out there. He moved with determination, was responsible back-checking, and did not dangle selfishly (too many times).

The element we need the most out of him may be coming out :P i'm sure the rest (point production) will follow.

Cammy back with Plek/Akost (who looked decent tonight too), and Eller with Gomez/Gionta sat night?

This.

The only issue is that Pouliot is faster I think.

Edited by BCHabnut

We need Hamrlik back, and obviously Markov. We're in tough saturday in Pittsburgh. I'm relieved to not have a goalie controversy, it was suffocating last season.

If you are a believer in corsi it would agree with your assessment.

Pouliot finished the night as a +9, Eller was a +9 as well.