Next best time to start Alex Auld?

JoeLassister

I think the return game against the Isles is the best moment to start Alex Auld for the first time this season. With a home game the very next day against Florida, with Price no matter what happens in Uniondale.

What do you think ?

edit : thread title.

Edited by JoeLassister

Auld is going to get one of the next two starts for sure. I say let him play the Isles and let Price rest up.

I wouldn't be surprised if Price gets 65 starts this season.

I would go Price again friday, He had no chance on any of those goals last night. Give him the weekend off. With markov coming back Saturday and being at home as a lift Auld should go Saturday.

Me either. He played 75+ games the season he won the Calder (and WJC gold). I figure between 60 and 68 starts this season for him should keep him fresh enough for the playoffs, and would mean us not having to start Auld more than 20 or so games. But then again, we haven't seen Auld play yet.

Yup. My guess is he,ll play between 65 and 70 games.

By the way, I was in my car a few minutes ago, and the Team 990 said that Auld was getting the start on Friday. Carey was gonna start on Saturday!

Yup. My guess is he,ll play between 65 and 70 games.

By the way, I was in my car a few minutes ago, and the Team 990 said that Auld was getting the start on Friday. Carey was gonna start on Saturday!

Cyberpresse has it as well. Call me Jacques Martin 2.0.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...31_accueil_POS4

• 4 weeks later...
I put my money on this :

monday 22nd @ Philly : Price

wednesday 24th vs L.A. : Price

friday 26th @ Atlanta : Auld

saturday 27th vs Buffalo : Price

Even though I mostly agree with you, don't you think it would be better to have Auld start against L.A. (an out of conference team)? If we lose, it's not too bad!?

I know that L.A. is a good team, so you want Price in nets. I also understand that you might not want Carey starting 2 games in 2 nights, but he's so young he can handle it.

Even though I mostly agree with you, don't you think it would be better to have Auld start against L.A. (an out of conference team)? If we lose, it's not too bad!?

I know that L.A. is a good team, so you want Price in nets. I also understand that you might not want Carey starting 2 games in 2 nights, but he's so young he can handle it.

I tend to go with your 2nd paragraph more than the 1st. + I don't want the crowd to yell "Carey Carey Carey" if Auld give 4 or 5 to the Kings...

Edited by JoeLassister

I tend to go with your 2nd paragraph more than the 1st. + I don't want the crowd to yeall "Carey Carey Carey" if Auld give 4 or 5 to the Kings...

Good point. I basically agreed with your first post...just playing devil's advocate! ;);)

I'll be surprised if he doesn't. The way things are going, he'll play over 70 games. Martin seems more nonchalant than most coaches about letting a goal play on back-to-back days. And Price has given him no reason so far to offer him a rest. Auld will probably get his starts in the second half of the season if Montreal is still doing well.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't. The way things are going, he'll play over 70 games. Martin seems more nonchalant than most coaches about letting a goal play on back-to-back days. And Price has given him no reason so far to offer him a rest. Auld will probably get his starts in the second half of the season if Montreal is still doing well.

I think playing Price until he drops is a mistake. Give him lots of games, yes. But - 23 or not - he's not superman. I have no appetite for another 2008-style playoff meltdown from him. For God's sake, give him some rest here and there.

I think playing Price until he drops is a mistake. Give him lots of games, yes. But - 23 or not - he's not superman. I have no appetite for another 2008-style playoff meltdown from him. For God's sake, give him some rest here and there.

That is assuming he melted down in the playoffs because he was tired.

You underestimate the problems a young goaltender can encounter with not only the speed of the game,

but a team scouting you extensively for a series. What Patrick Roy and Dryden accomplshed took place

behind a team with defensemen like Robinson, Savard, Chelios, Lapointe, Tremblay, Laperriere, Ludwig and Green.

The expectation on him was unrealistic. Replay that series in 2011 with a mature Price and you would not have

seen a 5 game series whether he was tired or not.

I see no reason why he can't play 65 games. Brodeur didn't have a problem with that type of workload until

he reached his early 30s.

It's the mental wear that I'm worried about. Giving him breaks and the opportunity to take his mind off the game for two or three days would help. But maybe more near the end of the year?

It's the mental wear that I'm worried about. Giving him breaks and the opportunity to take his mind off the game for two or three days would help. But maybe more near the end of the year?

When will people stop worrying about his mental well being?

They had him too weak to withstand Montreal and now he is tearing it up and we are still worried?

It is worrying for the sake of worrying.

Would I be wrong if I were to affirm that Carey has not let in more than 3 goals in regulation time in any games this year?

Well I just looked it up, and in fact that is true. When you have a goalie who hasn't given up more than 3 goals a game, your team should be winning 75% of its games. Carey is having a terrific start this year, let him ride.

3 games in 4 nights is a pretty big workload for any goalie. IMO: start Price tonight vs LA, Auld in Atlanta on Friday, then return to Price for Buffalo.

That is how I'm pretty sure it's going to happen. Auld more than likely has to play one of the two (if for no other reason than to give Price a breather), better that it's on the road and not against a divisional rival.

Ok, now I don't see this happening, but because the habs have games in back to back days (Wednesday and thursday), I wouldn't mind seeing Auld in net against the oilers and give Price the nod against the devils. If it doesn't happen, I can live with the decision made.