GDT: Montreal vs New Jersey, Dec. 2

bar

PK Subbans Benching  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What should have happened tonight?

• PK Subban benching
    • Spacek benching
    • Picard benching
    • Nothing

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted "nothing" because benching Gomez or Cammalleri weren't options. ;)

As overblown as this situation is, I'm sure PK will benefit from a game in the press box and come back as hungry as ever. The timing is bad though, we could use his offensive abilities to maybe avoid the inevitable shutout. :)

I voted "nothing" because benching Gomez or Cammalleri weren't options. ;)

As overblown as this situation is, I'm sure PK will benefit from a game in the press box and come back as hungry as ever. The timing is bad though, we could use his offensive abilities to maybe avoid the inevitable shutout. :)

They are veterans. Subban is a rookie who is making rookie mistakes, two of which cost them a game last night.

Putting a rookie in his place will not fracture a dressing room, benching your veteran leaders may. Coaching is not just about Xs and Os,

one of the biggest challenges is controlling 20+ self absorbed egos.

We also don't know if this comes from Martin, Gauthier, Muller, Pearn, one of the players etc.

Yea, i don't think it's a huge issue. Pk will learn from it and move on.

I just don't see why benching a vet can't be done. To me it sends a bigger message then sitting a rookie. Eller came back better after his 1 game benching.

Any reason why half the team isn't benched after last night ?

Cammy ?

Gomez ( for rest of regular season , only shows up in playoffs if applicable )

Prediction for tonite is L as usual with the devils

Ah well, looks like JM is writing off this game before it's played. Take out your least responsible player for yesterday's loss and replace him with someone worse.

Edited by jrhabs

Ah well, looks like JM is writing off this game before it's played. Take out your least responsible player for yesterday's loss and replace him with someone worse.

In my (and some others') views, he was directly responsible for the final 2 goals yesterday which makes him largely responsible for yesterday's loss. It is a 1-game sitting, this is not sending him down, trading him, nothing like that. 1 game for him to take a little break. This isn't worth a tenth of the hype it's getting. Some of the reactions (not here, we're discussing it well compared to other places) are simply comical. He'll be back in the lineup Saturday; if they classified him as DTD with "general body soreness" as a way to say they're sitting him, this wouldn't even be an issue. Maybe that's what they should do actually.

Yea, i don't think it's a huge issue. Pk will learn from it and move on.

I just don't see why benching a vet can't be done. To me it sends a bigger message then sitting a rookie. Eller came back better after his 1 game benching.

A veteran is connected through the league and dressing room. You never know where that web reaches or if that player can't handle

a one game demotion like a professional. If the player is not causing any internal friction through poor behaviour, respects his

authority figures and is working hard in practice, it sends a terrible message to that veteran to sit him and embarrass him. If other

veterans see it done to him, then what does that mean for me? It is a dangerous hill to ascend.

A rookie is a different story. They understand that they are learning and they have zero to no influence in the league or dressing room.

They are in the midst of a learning curve and the best way to send a message to them is to let them know that they can very easily find

themselves in Hamilton if they continue their reckless ways.

A dressing room is not a democracy and it isn't filled with equal treatment. It has layers of seniority and influence and some players have

made careers of manoeuvring their way into the proper power structures. It isn't as simple as "why can this guy be benched and that guy

can't". When I coached there were certain guys who could take sitting and certain guys who would immediately try to undermine you if they

had to sit. Their is no rational approach to controlling self serving individuals.

They are veterans. Subban is a rookie who is making rookie mistakes, two of which cost them a game last night.

Putting a rookie in his place will not fracture a dressing room, benching your veteran leaders may. Coaching is not just about Xs and Os,

one of the biggest challenges is controlling 20+ self absorbed egos.

We also don't know if this comes from Martin, Gauthier, Muller, Pearn, one of the players etc.

Very good comment. Obviously, Subban doesn't always listen to what's being said by the coaches or older players. Boucher benched him once last year because of that, if my memory is good. Don't worry, he'll be back in the line-up pretty soon, and if history is any guide, he should have learned his lesson.

Anyhow, it's an opportunity for Weber to contribute. It's become quite obvious that the PP goes nowhere, and it has cost a few games so far. Subban, with all his qualities, tends to do too much and can't make a significant contribution right now. One of his biggest mistakes is to put too much on his slap shot. I believe that he is too intelligent not to realize that precision is the key. Just a matter of time in his case, IMO. Meanwhile, Martin has to find an answer and Weber might be one.

On another topic, what about Max Pax? Aren't you guys impressed by his spectacular play in the AHL? If he keeps on rocking like that he won't give Martin much choice if we need a forward.

In my (and some others') views, he was directly responsible for the final 2 goals yesterday which makes him largely responsible for yesterday's loss. It is a 1-game sitting, this is not sending him down, trading him, nothing like that. 1 game for him to take a little break. This isn't worth a tenth of the hype it's getting. Some of the reactions (not here, we're discussing it well compared to other places) are simply comical. He'll be back in the lineup Saturday; if they classified him as DTD with "general body soreness" as a way to say they're sitting him, this wouldn't even be an issue. Maybe that's what they should do actually.

He was definitely responsible for both, he even admitted as much in the Gazette today.

On the shorthanded goal

"It was kind of a cluster but, on that play, I should have backed out and played the 2-on-2," Subban said. "It's those mistakes that cost your team. You want to make better plays in that situation.

On the OT winner

"I think I just got caught with the puck drifting off toward the boards," he explained. "You have to keep position on the inside, knowing that if the puck does get turned over, you're still in good position. I was out of position and he walked in for the breakaway......The next time, I stay in the middle of the ice and get better body position.

He knows he ######ed up and will likely take it better than the majority of fans.

A veteran is connected through the league and dressing room. You never know where that web reaches or if that player can't handle

a one game demotion like a professional. If the player is not causing any internal friction through poor behaviour, respects his

authority figures and is working hard in practice, it sends a terrible message to that veteran to sit him and embarrass him. If other

veterans see it done to him, then what does that mean for me? It is a dangerous hill to ascend.

A rookie is a different story. They understand that they are learning and they have zero to no influence in the league or dressing room.

They are in the midst of a learning curve and the best way to send a message to them is to let them know that they can very easily find

themselves in Hamilton if they continue their reckless ways.

A dressing room is not a democracy and it isn't filled with equal treatment. It has layers of seniority and influence and some players have

made careers of manoeuvring their way into the proper power structures. It isn't as simple as "why can this guy be benched and that guy

can't". When I coached there were certain guys who could take sitting and certain guys who would immediately try to undermine you if they

had to sit. Their is no rational approach to controlling self serving individuals.

I'd just add that the mentality that identifies promising rookies as some sort of superstars, gives them the keys to the city and treats them as equivalent to seasoned veterans, is part of what got Rebuild 1.0 in big trouble: too many young players with too little accountability and too much a sense of entitlement (Sergei, Grabovski, Ribeiro, Latendresse, Price, possibly Higgins and Komisarek). Given his importance to the future of this franchise it is imperative that the Habs keep PK's head on his shoulders and not let his ego get sucked into the Montreal hype machine. One way to do this is to treat him, NOT as if he were a slumping 2-time Cup winner universally respected around the league (Gomez), but as if he were a rookie like any other rookie. Which is what JM is doing.

If PK is a man, he will take his medicine, learn from it, and move forward. If he is a punkass pr*ck, he will allow it to contaminate his attitude in the manner of a Grabovski. All signs point to the former.

Mountain, meet molehill.

Well, if there was a better way to get things started in NJ, I'd love to hear it. 2 goals in 2 minutes, chase the starter and force a career minor leaguer in there. Wasn't too good after that though and that Plekanec penalty shot couldn't have been much worse. No speed = no goal, we've seen that enough in the shootout before to know that.

Still, a 2-0 lead is better than I surely expected.

The one after the Philly game was the second and smaller one I do believe. I'm not thrilled with the decision either but I can understand why. It's gutsy, that's for sure.

Could be exactly what PK needs at the moment. This is what coaches are paid to do. Maybe for a whole bunch or reasons its time to sit one. It probably won't end his career or ruin our season.

This is terrific for Weber and Picard, both can now take regular (even extra) shifts in the 3rd to give the others a bit of a breather. For Weber's 1st game on D, this is exactly what they needed.

I'm hoping to see lots of Eller and Pouliot this period. This is also a good time for Gomez or Cammalleri to score, they need some goals.

I agree, though Gomez has scored in two straight now...just sayin'. :)

I know, I want him to get into a streak. I still don't feel like he's been one of our best players recently. Cammalleri also scored last game but he could still use some more goals. There's no such thing as too many goals.

Is it me? or do the devils really suck? I'm surprised at how uninterested they seem to be. That makes two of the three New York area teams at the bottom of the standings. I've hated them for years, but wow, they're awful.

Dammit. Again Carey loses the shutout in the 3rd period!!!

I forget who it was last year (may not have even been a habs) but the player said watching from above for one game really helped him see where some of his mistakes were being made. I think that may be the goal here with Subban.

I do believe you are talking about Stamkos.

PK was benched for one game last year in Hamilton, and apparently it did him some good. He came back much stronger after that!

An overall great game by our boys tonight. Who would've thought we'd be leading 5-1 with 10 minutes to go in Jersey!?!? Then again Parise and the ultimate habs killer(Briodeur) aren't in the line-up for the Devils, but that ain't our problem! Screw the Devils!

Subban, Picard, Weber who is odd man out Sat

Sad to say, but it'll propbably be Weber. It's too bad, cause he's playing well tonight.

Another guy nobody seemed to notice last night was Picard. Even though i think he's been doing well this year, i thought Picard had a bad game last night! Maybe he'll sit out on saturday!

I also wanted to say that I think it's ok for Subban to be benched tonight. It'll do him some good in the long run!

Edited by Habsfan

5-1 final, nice bounce back effort. HW 3 Stars to follow.

Yup! Great game by our boys tonight!

I don't know if we could call this a problem, but our boys can't seem to put 2 wins in a row...then again, they haven't lost two games in a row since early in the year.

I guess a feww years ago, the Habs would have been in a slump at this time, but this year, they seem to stay away from the long losing streaks...and that's a good thing. They are picking up points often, which allows them to stay at the top of the conference!