GDT: Montreal vs Senators, Dec. 7

bar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the NHL record for most unassisted goals by one team in a game??

HAHAHAHA!

Ho-hum..another day; another win... ho-hum...

Edited by Toronthab

Two goals one second apart? That can't be right, can it?

Stuck in NJ with no TV feed ... :angry:

Ah, looks like nhl.com corrected it, we're back to 4-1 now, not 5-1.

Edited by tomh009

I was quite impressed with the 3rd period. I suspect Martin let his team have it after a listless 2nd as there was an element of intensity that simply wasn't there beforehand. Good response, good game. Hard to believe that despite the PP's struggles, the Habs' PP success rating will improve. I'm quickly becoming a fan of the 1 PPG per ___ stat, it'd surely tell a more accurate story tonight.

Louis is on the 3-Stars beat on HW tonight so here's my quick selections:

1) Cammalleri

2) Gionta

3) Halpern

HM) Price

lol..thats bad..darren pang is my ex wife 1st cousin so i know putting your foot in your mouth runs in the family lol..

He felt horrible, and admitted it. It was not intentional and went on to say that his stomach was in knots over a slip of the tongue. No biggie

Encouraging stat, Plekanec remembered how to take draws finally, going 20/26 tonight. That made up for the struggles of Gomez (2/8) and Eller (3/11). Weber had the 3rd highest TOI amongst Habs' d-men tonight (mostly due to PP time), 4th highest on the Habs altogether actually. Gorges/Gill's minutes were way down, nice that they got some rest...though Gorges still managed to block 4 shots.

NHL Statsheet: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20102011/ES020402.HTM

Louis is on the 3-Stars beat on HW tonight so here's my quick selections:

1) Cammalleri

2) Gionta

3) Halpern

HM) Price

Well, don't we ever disagree tonight? Who did I pick? Find out: http://habsworld.net/article.php?id=2297

In fairness though, the team played pretty darn well in the first and third periods, I had a hard time making only four selections.

Watched the game half asleep, warming my bones beside the fire, after a crappy day in the snow. I realised something was missing. I realised how much I enjoy watching PK Subban play. I think it's time he returns. No controversy, no complaining. Alexandre Picard is a handy player to have, a nice 7th d-man, but it's time.

Watched the game half asleep, warming my bones beside the fire, after a crappy day in the snow. I realised something was missing. I realised how much I enjoy watching PK Subban play. I think it's time he returns. No controversy, no complaining. Alexandre Picard is a handy player to have, a nice 7th d-man, but it's time.

I'm simply too frantic with work at the moment to watch these games - I'm following things second-hand for now - but I strongly suspect you're right. Surely the point has been made, and with the PP impotent, it's time to re-insert this offensively-gifted minutes-eating beast. Indeed, if JM doesn't, I'll be inclined to wonder whether Subban has shown a wider attitude problem that the coach is trying to expunge.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Picard made a few sloppy mistakes tonight. I think it's time to split up Gorges and Gill. Hammer and Spacek are playing too well right now.

Hammer Spacek

Gorges Subban

Gill Weber

It's funny. A few weeks ago, everybody was complaining about Spacek...

It's funny. A few weeks ago, everybody was complaining about Spacek...

Ya I know. Those two have really stepped it up though. I just worry that the old fellers can't play too many games like that before they tire out.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

They are like a machine right now. Albeit a boring one.

I din't see anything on Gomez and his injury. Do they just throw Boyd as 4th line center or call up Decharnais and play him between Moen and Cammi?

I thought they were real good in the first and third. Took 20 off in the middle but Price was there.

It was a tough week, i was hopin gfor 3 out 6 points, gettign the first 2 is very important. I go Price in Detroit, Auld in Tporonto.

I believe the injury happened in the game against the sharks. Gomez took a hit that seemed to really hurt his side, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just was a reaction to that hit.

I'd say sit Picard or Weber, they both looked bad last night on the PP, and bring PK back in, win or losses shouldn't matter.

They could go 7D and 11 forwards. I kind of like the idea of double shifting a top liner with Laps/Pyatt.

To be honest, I would rather see Subban in than Weber, he had brutal giveaways on the PP last night, they did not lead to goals, but they could have just as easily as Subbans mistake did. Just curious, if Price makes that save on the PP, think Subban would have been sitting these past few games?

BTW, bar, you are right: the Habs are generally better with Subban in the lineup. The difference is not insurmountable, but when he's having a good game he's a definite top 4 guy for us right now, whereas neither Picard or Weber escape the 5 or 6 spots. So yeah, it's a weird situation, but I'll trust Jacques on this one.

To be honest, P.K. hasn't provided a lot for the PP so far. The PP picked up when Markov came back, and now Hamrlik has filled in and kept it going. I've always said the PP is best suited for veterans... it's a really technical aspect of the game and it's not simply a matter of talent. P.K. can contribute, particularly in gaining the zone, but he isn't running the show yet. I also noticed it wasn't as effective when Gomez was down and Eller filled in during the 2nd. Gomez is also great at gaining the zone. So it was quite awkward without those guys.

Is that an argument for inserting P.K. if Gomez is out? Not sure. I still like 4 lines and 6 D with this team, and lord knows Boyd is probably struggling to just keep positive right now about his situation.

By the way this team has played defensively (including goaltending) this year, it's hard to get too finicky. This is a team that was down arguably its top 3 puckmovers (Markov, Gomez, Subban) by the second half of last night and still dominated possession. I guess it probably says as much about Ottawa as it does about us.

I for one hate the 11 forwards and 7 D. The seem to play better with 4 lines rolling and 6 D. Subban definitely gettignt he PP set up and entering the zone.

Weber has been ok, nothing over the top. Subban will get in I'm sure either Friday or Saturday.

JM has been consitant with keeping a winning lineup intact. So he doesn't play favorites there.

Also, a funny note on the game: Plekanec kicked out of consecutive faceoffs, and Gionta came in and won both of the draws absolutely cleanly. Is this an untapped skill for our captain, or just random luck? Could be a little opening to see Plex take faceoffs best suited for lefties, and Gio take them for righties. Certainly, Gio possesses quick hands and great hand-eye... plus his 'closeness to the ice' probably is an advantage here. :lol:

Sask great points, I just noticed that when PK is at the point he can make plays to distribute the puck, Hammer has been excellent coming in the weak side wing what Markov loves to do, but at the point there has been a lot of times where the puck was kept in by a play by Subban, that Spacek, Picard, Hammer would have let leave the zone. His shot is wild, but it is needed with this team, other teams pressure the forwards down low and they cough the puck up.

In retorspect, the 11 forwards 7 D is likely a mis-call on my part. The question becomes is Boyd enough to replace Gomez, or would we want to call up someone with more of a offensive upside. Cammy/Hapern/Pax could look good. Or bring up Dessy, I know Boyd has been itching to back in, but would be hurt by not filling in the offensive role that Gomez is supposed to bring with a grinder, and promote maybe Eller up to 2nd line centre?