Official positivity thread

SOOPAVILLIN

I'm rooting for Tampa to come in second. I want a potential game seven three hours away

Would be a good series, not sure is best opponent for Habs but better than Rangers-Philly-Pitt.

I would love to see Habs-Bruins/Leafs (or Leafs first and Bruins 2nd round :thumbs_up: ).

Would be a good series, not sure is best opponent for Habs but better than Rangers-Philly-Pitt.

I would love to see Habs-Bruins/Leafs (or Leafs first and Bruins 2nd round :thumbs_up: ).

i want nothing to do with the leafs or bruins in the first round.

• Upvote 1

I'll take the Rangers. The Habs have had the Ranger's number for awhile.

The only way that happens is if one of those teams wins their division and the other wins the corresponding wildcard spot. Sportsclubstats has the probability of that at 0.0% :)

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern/Atlantic/Montreal.html

I don't like our chances vs Philly really, but sometimes the tougher match up makes you better later if you survive it. I would prefer Bruins first round vs playing the Leafs and the refs.....

Time for Vanek to gift wrap a couple goals for Pacioretty, who is due to score again.

Both teams should be up for game and expect very entertaining play.

A lot of good performances vs Bruins and just another entertaining and close game.

Would love to see Gallagher-Galchenyuk light up Sabres, play Murray on the PP, stuck him in the slot!

And I guess is another homecoming for Vanek, so he may be up for this one.

Weaver-Yemelin with just sweet hits and seemed to instantly drop the Bruin IQ to that of a schoolyard bully who had sand kicked in his face.

Maybe Bruin seeming hatred of Habs is what allows Habs to beat them so often, 3 of 4 game this year and smoked em last year also if I recall correctly, please please let them meet in 2nd round.

The Habs are in the Bruins' heads and have been for a long time. Even their playoff victory in 2011 doesn't seem to have settled their nerves regarding us. I think the key is that we don't seem to play by the script. We're smaller and less physical, so we should automatically be intimidated and fold like cheap tents. But again Boston, we don't. We keep plugging away, unfrightened, and even dare to dish out some impressive hits of our own, while eking out victories we "shouldn't" win. It's like this is such an outrage to the Boston Bully vision of the universe that it rattles them to the core.

Does that mean we'd beat them in a seven-game series? Not necessarily; they are the better team (along with St. Louis and Chicago, one of the league's true dominant forces IMHO), and as the Chara assault showed, they always have the option of deliberately injuring our key players if need be. But it does mean that such a series is likely to be harrowingly close from a Boston perspective.

The great thing about all of this is that it follows such a classic historical pattern between these two teams. Boston has often (not always) had a team that is "tougher" than ours, and we have often had a team that is "fast and skilled" but "small" and "not tough enough" to beat them. Yet historically we have beaten those supposedly implacable teams. We did it when Koivu had a punctured lung and yet managed to totally own Jumbo Joe in the 2000s; we did it again in 2008; we did it against the Big Bad Bruins of the 70s. Some franchises just seem to have a historical identity that keeps replicating itself generation after generations, and "small, fast and plucky" tends to be ours, while "big, intimidating, and yet disproportionately prone to losing to the Habs" seems to be Boston's ;)

• Upvote 1

What's interesting about Boston is that they aren't really a big and tough team anymore. No really. They are building themselves to look more like the Habs. Skill and speed. But with that skill and speed they also have some pure grit/strength/power guys like Chara, Lucic and Thornton. Miller too it seems. I mean they replaced Nathan Horton with Reilly Smith, who isn't a bruiser at all. Paille and Eriksson aren't tough guys. Iginla is a tough customer but he's also a slowing down veteran. The Krug's and Hamilton's of the defence aren't really tough guys but they can take their licks. Marchand is a weasel who tries to be tough but can't take anything in return. Krejci is just their Plekanec.

The difference is that the speed and skill guys can play their game without worry when they know they have a guy nobody matches up to in Chara and a guy who can bully people around in Lucic. Thornton is a loose cannon waiting for his Marty McSorely moment to throw his career away. Thought it would happen to Markov last night. It's the same effect when Parros, Prust and Tinordi are in the lineup.

In a couple years we might have Connor Crisp, Mike McCarron and Jarred Tinordi policing the ice for the Canadiens and everyone will talk about how we're tough bullies picking on other teams. But really, the team will still have Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Subban, Bournival and Beaulieu playing their skill game. We won't be much different from the Bruins.

Habs now @99.8% of making playoffs and Leafs went from 60% on Sat down to 24.6%!

If that dosent put a smile on your face, you cant be a Habfan.

Almost sounds like Gorges-Prust-Weise-Moan could all be available for some 1st round play?

• Upvote 1

I love the fact that the Habs are one of the reasons for the Leafs downfall!!! Huge win on saturday night! HUGE WIN!!!

• Upvote 1

Leafs went from 60% on Sat down to 24.6%!

Not that I'm going to argue that percentage, I just don't understand it. 4 teams basically are fighting for 2 spots, so 50% chance. 3 of those teams have a game or two in hand on the Leafs which obviously skews it against them but you wouldn't think it would have that much of an impact on it. There must be many other factors involved but with such a short stretch of games anything is possible. Regardless, I would love for them to miss the show and for all of Canada's eyes to be on our Habs

Not that I'm going to argue that percentage, I just don't understand it. 4 teams basically are fighting for 2 spots, so 50% chance. 3 of those teams have a game or two in hand on the Leafs which obviously skews it against them but you wouldn't think it would have that much of an impact on it. There must be many other factors involved but with such a short stretch of games anything is possible. Regardless, I would love for them to miss the show and for all of Canada's eyes to be on our Habs

Sorry maybe misworded illWill, Leafs were 60% on Sat and now are 24% following Hab plus other Leaf losses combined.

but, who really cares how it happens, when they miss playoffs again, it will be just to funny and am sure Cherry-Stock-Healy-McLeans (Ron & Doug) will have black arm-bands on for their fallen favourite. :clap:

Habs now @99.8% of making playoffs and Leafs went from 60% on Sat down to 24.6%!

Almost sounds like Gorges-Prust-Weise-Moan could all be available for some 1st round play?

99.8 wow that is nice.

Sorry maybe misworded illWill, Leafs were 60% on Sat and now are 24% following Hab plus other Leaf losses combined.

but, who really cares how it happens, when they miss playoffs again, it will be just to funny and am sure Cherry-Stock-Healy-McLeans (Ron & Doug) will have black arm-bands on for their fallen favourite. :clap:

Yeah and I meant to say that there are 4 teams tied with points but they have a game or two in hand on the Leafs. This being a positivity thread, I am feeling fairly positive that they will string together a few wins and at least make it a battle till the end.....unfortunately

The Habs are in the Bruins' heads and have been for a long time. Even their playoff victory in 2011 doesn't seem to have settled their nerves regarding us. I think the key is that we don't seem to play by the script. We're smaller and less physical, so we should automatically be intimidated and fold like cheap tents. But again Boston, we don't. We keep plugging away, unfrightened, and even dare to dish out some impressive hits of our own, while eking out victories we "shouldn't" win. It's like this is such an outrage to the Boston Bully vision of the universe that it rattles them to the core.

Does that mean we'd beat them in a seven-game series? Not necessarily; they are the better team (along with St. Louis and Chicago, one of the league's true dominant forces IMHO), and as the Chara assault showed, they always have the option of deliberately injuring our key players if need be. But it does mean that such a series is likely to be harrowingly close from a Boston perspective.

The great thing about all of this is that it follows such a classic historical pattern between these two teams. Boston has often (not always) had a team that is "tougher" than ours, and we have often had a team that is "fast and skilled" but "small" and "not tough enough" to beat them. Yet historically we have beaten those supposedly implacable teams. We did it when Koivu had a punctured lung and yet managed to totally own Jumbo Joe in the 2000s; we did it again in 2008; we did it against the Big Bad Bruins of the 70s. Some franchises just seem to have a historical identity that keeps replicating itself generation after generations, and "small, fast and plucky" tends to be ours, while "big, intimidating, and yet disproportionately prone to losing to the Habs" seems to be Boston's ;)

Great post.

And for a little Toronto grist for the mill, the following from a lovely lady friend.

"To their fans, the Leafs are like a religion. Every year at this time they give up their playoff hopes for Lent."

Just so many good Leaf sayings, after decades of losing, one dumb one that is stuck in my memory and makes me laugh.

How are Leafs and Whales similar?

They both get confused when surrounded by ice!