GDT Calgary Flames @ Montreal Canadiens Oct 13 2011

JMMR

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it before but I still wanna see the team through a stretch without all the pregame BS before I push the panic button.

1-6in the last 7 home openers.... for a team thats good at home generally... its more than just a trend... and even the win was shootout. Add that with the other disappointing performances in the ceremony games and there is something to be said for the home team having to stand and watch the hoopla, while the visitors just prepare for a normal game with a later puck drop in their lockerroom.

how simple can this be though..... i might be "just" an armchair GM but...we have a fully intact 4th line.. put them together

moen enquivst darche

put the americans together watch them play with a chip

cole gomez gionta

give palushaj a two week stint until cammo comes back to show what he's got with our best center

AK plex palushaj

finally a strong 3rd line that could even end up being a 1AB by end of season... deharnais and pac have already shown they can play together and eller is taking massive strides... just look at his play yesterday in his first game post OP..

pacioretty eller deharnais

MY LINES

1)kosty -- plex -- camo (palushaj)

2)deharnais -- eller-- pacioretty

3)gionta -- gomez -- cole

4)moen -- enquivst -- darche

(white)

play the top 3 lines pretty equally but ride the hottest line that night!and watch the kid line push the vet line

If JM didn't need Subban, he would be in the press box next game.

Probably the worst performance by P.K. since he is in the league. I mean, he was terrible. Took too many chances, was not responsible defensively. Very bad.

Cole was also disappointing. How many chances did he have to dump the puck before the Flames scored their last goal? Unbelievable!

Gionta and Darche had bad games too. In their cases, I don't panick though. They have experience and they work hard; they should find a solution in the next games.

Gomez and Plex did their best and created some offense, but nobody was there to execute. Desharnais was nowhere to be seen. I wonder what's going on with him. Sophomore jinx I guess...

Gill and Gorges did not look good either, but I would say that the new guys, Emelin and Diaz, did not look out of place. Of course, they made mistakes, but they were not a factor in the game, IMO. What we really hurt in that game was the way our core players reacted to the opposition. Too many penalties, bad decisions all over the ice. It was frankly horrible.

Let's hope that next game will be better.

Probably the worst performance by P.K. since he is in the league. I mean, he was terrible. Took too many chances, was not responsible defensively. Very bad.

Cole was also disappointing. How many chances did he have to dump the puck before the Flames scored their last goal? Unbelievable!

Gionta and Darche had bad games too. In their cases, I don't panick though. They have experience and they work hard; they should find a solution in the next games.

Gomez and Plex did their best and created some offense, but nobody was there to execute. Desharnais was nowhere to be seen. I wonder what's going on with him. Sophomore jinx I guess...

Gill and Gorges did not look good either, but I would say that the new guys, Emelin and Diaz, did not look out of place. Of course, they made mistakes, but they were not a factor in the game, IMO. What we really hurt in that game was the way our core players reacted to the opposition. Too many penalties, bad decisions all over the ice. It was frankly horrible.

not many players had a promising game yesterday... gionta, cole, gill, subban even gorges played real bad... outside of plex, eller, pacioretty and to a lesser extent gomez & AK i thought everybody else clearly weren't up for the Calgary flames! we historically have bad home openers although no excuses!

now that these shenanigans are done with, Martin has GOT to get these guys in the proper positions to succeed... we need to get healthy and start playing with cohesion!

here's hoping markov's florida visit results in a "markov has been cleared to re join the team!" headline! :pray:

Interesting fact: Habs have won exactly 1 home opener since the lockout (beat Bruins 3-2 in shootout 2009).

It is an interesting fact, I wouldn't of guessed it would have been that bad. I was actually at that particular game, it was my first ever game in Montreal. I thought I had died and went to heaven. For the record it was in 2008 and the final score was 4-3 in a shootout. The Habs were up 3-0 and the Bruins came back to tie it up, so they almost blew that game too. I have a crappy video of the shootout I took somewhere on my computer. Georges Laraque dropped the gloves right away in his first home game with us and the place just went bananas......what a game!

MY LINES

(white)

play the top 3 lines pretty equally but ride the hottest line that night!and watch the kid line push the vet line

I like those lines. What I don't like though is the name "Camo". It sounds weird, especially in french.

how simple can this be though..... i might be "just" an armchair GM but...we have a fully intact 4th line.. put them together

moen enquivst darche

put the americans together watch them play with a chip

cole gomez gionta

give palushaj a two week stint until cammo comes back to show what he's got with our best center

AK plex palushaj

finally a strong 3rd line that could even end up being a 1AB by end of season... deharnais and pac have already shown they can play together and eller is taking massive strides... just look at his play yesterday in his first game post OP..

pacioretty eller deharnais

MY LINES

(white)

Those lines represent a decent configuration given the materials to hand, but geez. The loss of Cammy and a passable #4 centreman really weakens this team, and these lines show that. People are ripping JM for using Moen/Drache on scoring lines, but the alternative is Palushaj. I mean, yuck.

Just an awful, awful shift by Cole and its 4-1.

He looks out of shape, like keith tkachuk out of shape, im a bit scared.

I'm really starting to think the pregame ceremonies have an effect. We look flat.

Only 1 win in a home opener since the lockout.

Plus we looked awful on Gainey Retirement night, Robinson Retirement night, Patrick Roy night.

Okay but amazing on centennial night, and Moore/Roadrunner night

Eller looks good at least!

He had a fantastic game, very physical, great hands, wanted to get into the slot and got there with excellent heads up stick handling.

3 PP Goals last season.... maybe there is a reason Cole isn't on the PP, and its not being benched.

Okay thats because the Canes have a pile of guys that were on top units of PP.

Staal Ruutu Skinner Stillman Jokinen.

If Subban didnt embelish, he might have drawn a penalty

A comedy of errors. I support a bag skate after this plonk

50 years ago, even 30 sure.

In this age of players egos you can not do that this early in a season and I would be shocked if JM did that.

Fantastic post, sounded like you took thoughts from JM's head.

It is an interesting fact, I wouldn't of guessed it would have been that bad. I was actually at that particular game, it was my first ever game in Montreal. I thought I had died and went to heaven. For the record it was in 2008 and the final score was 4-3 in a shootout. The Habs were up 3-0 and the Bruins came back to tie it up, so they almost blew that game too. I have a crappy video of the shootout I took somewhere on my computer. Georges Laraque dropped the gloves right away in his first home game with us and the place just went bananas......what a game!

And did not even win the fight.

Man wish that signing never happened.

What we need is to go back to the a "worst game day thread"........we're putting too much effort into them more than some players!

Is that reference to this thread or the Jets one I made.

(or both ;)

Okay but amazing on centennial night, and Moore/Roadrunner night......

Okay, I'll include those 2 games as well + the Dryden Night (win)...

Now the 1-6 Home opener record + gainey + roy + robinson.

The Habs are usually a good home team... but are 4-9 by my count in these Ceremony games..... that seems like more than just a small sample size... thats a trend that their usually good home winning percentage is way lower in these games.

Think about it.... the only difference for Calgary is that they sit around in the dressing room for an extra 15 or 20 minutes.... they prepare for a normal game, but one that starts at 7:50-7:55 instead of 7:35. Since they are in a new time zone anyway, there is no change to the routine.

Meanwhile the Habs have to stand around and do nothing while all the introductions are made. They are just sitting there. They have a good warmup, and then everything slows to a crawl while they stand around, and then boom, game starts and its go, go, go. Yeah we got an early goal, but it was capitalizing on a turnover, its not like we were controlling the game; and then Calgary got it right back and dominated the period.

Considering it was 3-1 buy the end of the first period.... I think it had an effect.

Is that reference to this thread or the Jets one I made.

(or both ;)

No no no...it was in reference to the GDT tradition, if you'd just slapped it together maybe you'd be 2-0. ^_^

But at least the pressure's off now, and the monkey's going to be on the back of the next one to start the next GDT....

And it was actually a dig at the team and what seems to be the overall lack of intensity.....Wish we had that one guy who could go out and get the momentum back on his shift weather a booming (legal) hit or an end to end ruch etc....

And it was actually a dig at the team and what seems to be the overall lack of intensity.....Wish we had that one guy who could go out and get the momentum back on his shift weather a booming (legal) hit or an end to end ruch etc....

We have that guy... unfortunately he was pressing way too hard last night and made a ton of silly, uncharacteristic mistakes because of it.

I want to see Subban settle down and play the game we saw from late in the season and the Playoffs last year, because that guy was a game changer. The guy last night.... he sucked.

Better than mine so far this year...I think the Habs lost every preseason game I did a GDT for plus the season opener.

I say we "nominate" one of the rookies, let them pay their dues; I know our local Ohl team has them lug the equipment around and load the bus and pick up pucks after practice etc....... :rofl: