If you were GM how would you steady this ship?

Willey101

Just curious.

I mean do you just sit back and wait and ultimately give your kids the added experience? Would you make a move, if so who and for what in return? Do you fire the coach? Or are you the president and absolutely cleaning ship.

I for one believe in this team. I think we have the elements needed for a playoff run but health is a major concern.

I go for a big trade.

I call Carolina, i offer Pleks, Cammi and Weber/ Diaz for Stall and one of there 2 young RH Dmen. Muller knows what he is getting, if he likes those 2 i would do it.

Immediately you get a big physical probably dominant line.

He could fire the coach but hinestly unless you are gettign someone better i'm not sure what you do. Carslyle is out there, but unless i am mistaken he has a similar style to JM.

Plus with all the injuries and youth on defense i'm not sure you could even turn it around with a new coach. JM did take 2 healthy teams to the playoffs and got a #6 seed last year, the best in a very long time.

I go big trade for some key players.

I go for a big trade.

I call Carolina, i offer Pleks, Cammi and Weber/ Diaz for Stall and one of there 2 young RH Dmen. Muller knows what he is getting, if he likes those 2 i would do it.

Immediately you get a big physical probably dominant line.

He could fire the coach but hinestly unless you are gettign someone better i'm not sure what you do. Carslyle is out there, but unless i am mistaken he has a similar style to JM.

Plus with all the injuries and youth on defense i'm not sure you could even turn it around with a new coach. JM did take 2 healthy teams to the playoffs and got a #6 seed last year, the best in a very long time.

I go big trade for some key players.

Love Staal but no way I would give up Pleks and Cammy.

Love Staal but no way I would give up Pleks and Cammy.

I do this in a heart beat, then I go out and get some meaness on the bottom two lines. I want a couple of guys who will get angry and start hurting people. In the mold of Chris Neil (can still contribute on a regular basis but will get angry and stand up for his team )

then I fire JM and bring in Bob Hartley to unleash the tuff guys if need be.

I remember a game he coached for Atlanta (one of his last there) it was a gong show and I loved it. I want teams to fear us like they fear the Bruins. Emelyn is a good start but there is just not enough ugliness to our games right now. When the game gets chippy we lose, its that simple.

We just cant compete with the tougher teams in the league. We all complain about the Bruins Gooning it up, but they can because they have the biggest, toughest guy in the league, Chara. And they just won the Cup. We could definaltely use a little bit of that over here.... if we dont win the cup at least it would be fun to watch.

Better than the shit I've been seeing from our team this year.

Plus With the goalie we have, if we build a better defence we would be unstoppable.......go after Weber if he is available break the bank on him....he is worth it.

I would make one minor move very shortly (once Campoli returns) and the blue line gets crowded. It would involve moving Weber due to the fact he's completely and utterly redundant to this team going forward. Yes he's young... but he just doesn't fit on a team that has Diaz already in the lineup.

I would do nothing else and sell the UFAs in February.... Spacek, campoli, gill and Moen... for a bunch of picks in a deep draft. Prices rise as we get closer to the deadline.

I would start negotiations with Gorges and Kostitsyn in January (as per CBA rules and guys on 1 year deals) give them a deadline.... 48 hours before the deadline, if they aren't signed, they are traded too. If Gorges was gone, Id be searching for a veteran top 4 defensive D come July 1st

I would wait til January to finally settle the issue of Markov's health. If he can't come back at that point, I'd start looking for my #1 defenceman moving forward.

I'd do whatever it took to get rid of Gomez and then aggressively pursue options for a guy who could be a 1a/1b with Plekanec. This would be the top priority of the offseason.

I do not agree with the calls for big changes. Realistically, I never thought this year's club had a chance to win the cup even with a full and healthy lineup. The injuries are giving the CH a chance to evaluate talent and to build a cup contende club.

I would sit tight and continue investing in the young core. When we get the injuried players back, I would send down the kids to get lots of minutes and mature in the AHL. And I would make sure I start scouting for the players to pluck form other clubs at the deadline when they panic.

This is not our year, but the club must keep it's course in developing PK, Lars, LL, Desh, Pacs, etc It may pay out a little this spring if we make it to the playoffs, and I believe it will pay big time next year when we should have a cup contender. I think JM and PG are managing the club this way.

If we trade a 2 for one then Carolina adds 3 million in cap space which is something I am guessing they wouldn't want to do it plus no way a guy like McBain is included. Would a more likely scenario be something like Plekanec, Cammalleri, Weber and a mid level pick for Staal and Chad Larose.

I could learn to like that.

I would put up our first round pick (which looks pretty enticing now) along with a couple of ready or nearly ready assets to acquire that #1a/b centre the team badly needs. With this you offer the potential of a sustained attack across two lines thus limiting the oppositions ability to key on just Plex. From that will come more offence from the third line as well, as they'll get to deal with even worse opposition. I wouldn't touch the defence because of the injury situation and because we're a good defensive club as it stands. I would probably fire Martin as well as I don't feel his style of coaching lends well to the players we have. He's attempting to make attacking players into defensive icons, and with the acquisition of a star centre, this would be a mistake. For the rest of what I feel about Martin....look elsewhere in the site. ;-) It's all there. Competent coach, perhaps time to move on.

I would put up our first round pick (which looks pretty enticing now) along with a couple of ready or nearly ready assets to acquire that #1a/b centre the team badly needs. With this you offer the potential of a sustained attack across two lines thus limiting the oppositions ability to key on just Plex. From that will come more offence from the third line as well, as they'll get to deal with even worse opposition. I wouldn't touch the defence because of the injury situation and because we're a good defensive club as it stands. I would probably fire Martin as well as I don't feel his style of coaching lends well to the players we have. He's attempting to make attacking players into defensive icons, and with the acquisition of a star centre, this would be a mistake. For the rest of what I feel about Martin....look elsewhere in the site. ;-) It's all there. Competent coach, perhaps time to move on.

Problem is the cap. We need to shed salary in order to acquire salary. We have more than 20% of our salary useless right now. If we want a center we have to part with Pleks, Cammie or both.

Problem is the cap. We need to shed salary in order to acquire salary. We have more than 20% of our salary useless right now. If we want a center we have to part with Pleks, Cammie or both.

I'm not sure I completely agree with that, but I'm not going to get into it now. Here's a thought, though: the CBA ends after this season, right? I've just heard the basest grumbling of rumours that states the owners will push for a penalty-free buyout period again. If that's the case, why not bury Gomer in the minors when acquiring an elite centre near the deadline? You're burned for the short-term, but it's possible his $7M+ could very well be gone from that point on. I wonder how much research Habs management is doing on that count? (Probably a lot.)

I'm not sure I completely agree with that, but I'm not going to get into it now. Here's a thought, though: the CBA ends after this season, right? I've just heard the basest grumbling of rumours that states the owners will push for a penalty-free buyout period again. If that's the case, why not bury Gomer in the minors when acquiring an elite centre near the deadline? You're burned for the short-term, but it's possible his $7M+ could very well be gone from that point on. I wonder how much research Habs management is doing on that count? (Probably a lot.)

Molson himself said he would not do it so unless he has a 180 on his thought process Gomez is around for a while. I beleive the talk that was being circulated as well was for a window to allow a team to trade a player say Gomez in this situation and he would count against the cap for the opposition but Molson could eat part of the contract in the deal.

So hypothetically Gomez traded to Carolina. He counts as a $7.4 cap hit for the Canes but his salary is only $5.5 million next season of which Montreal would pay say $2 million. So essentially he comes off our cap, but Carolina gets $7.4 worth of cap space and only pays $3.5 million.

That would be a great scenario for teams like Montreal.

Until that happens however teams like the carolinas or Columbus cannot afford the big ticket items because they are losing so much money.

Molson himself said he would not do it so unless he has a 180 on his thought process Gomez is around for a while. I beleive the talk that was being circulated as well was for a window to allow a team to trade a player say Gomez in this situation and he would count against the cap for the opposition but Molson could eat part of the contract in the deal.

So hypothetically Gomez traded to Carolina. He counts as a $7.4 cap hit for the Canes but his salary is only $5.5 million next season of which Montreal would pay say $2 million. So essentially he comes off our cap, but Carolina gets $7.4 worth of cap space and only pays $3.5 million.

That would be a great scenario for teams like Montreal.

Until that happens however teams like the carolinas or Columbus cannot afford the big ticket items because they are losing so much money.

Ownership and management are required to say a lot of things to keep ego's massaged and to work on the best mental state for the clubs they run. If you were Molson, would you have said anything else?

Ownership and management are required to say a lot of things to keep ego's massaged and to work on the best mental state for the clubs they run. If you were Molson, would you have said anything else?

I would have. To outright deny and then do it makes you look foolish. To avoid the question, say we will examine all options, that nothing is impossible is how I would approach it. Why lie? What do you have to gain from it? To protect 1 guy who you no longer want as part of your team?

Gauthier made an offer to Brad Richards on july 1. This is well known, the Habs didn't show up at his agent's office for the appettizers.

There must have been a plan in place to deal with Gomez on that day, should (have signed.

Gauthier made an offer to Brad Richards on july 1. This is well known, the Habs didn't show up at his agent's office for the appettizers.

There must have been a plan in place to deal with Gomez on that day, should (have signed.

Did we note have the cap space though?

Richards signed for $6.667 million.

Take Campoli and Cole and you now have $6.25 in cap space.

Just need a couple of minors tweaks to make it happen assuming we offered that much. maybe we had a lower limit.

I like both Colin's and Commandant's way of thinking. The value of our 1st-rounder is likely to diminish IF Markov returns, at which point we will quite likely start to inch up the standings. Staal, Stastny and Ryan are all young, if you could leverage the pick + some assets to get that C, you'd in no way jeapordize the future. Of course, that leaves the Mystery of Gomez in place. And to make any such move you'd need to have some sort of deal to unload Gomez in place. I don't think this is outright impossible, necessarily.

What Commandant captures is the most realistic scenario. And it's hard to argue with it, really; wait this out and, if things don't improve, sell off your past-their-prime vets. If they do improve, why then, all the hysteria was misplaced in the first place.

Did we note have the cap space though?

Richards signed for $6.667 million.

Take Campoli and Cole and you now have $6.25 in cap space.

Just need a couple of minors tweaks to make it happen assuming we offered that much.  maybe we had a lower limit.

Cole was signed and Gauthier's offer was still on the table.

I like both Colin's and Commandant's way of thinking. The value of our 1st-rounder is likely to diminish IF Markov returns, at which point we will quite likely start to inch up the standings. Staal, Stastny and Ryan are all young, if you could leverage the pick + some assets to get that C, you'd in no way jeapordize the future. Of course, that leaves the Mystery of Gomez in place. And to make any such move you'd need to have some sort of deal to unload Gomez in place. I don't think this is outright impossible, necessarily.

What Commandant captures is the most realistic scenario. And it's hard to argue with it, really; wait this out and, if things don't improve, sell off your past-their-prime vets. If they do improve, why then, all the hysteria was misplaced in the first place.

As fans the losing is frustrating... very frustrating, and many of us want to do something... do anything to shake things up. I understand those feelings completely.

However as far as management goes, I'm a firm believer that they need to take pragmatic and not emotional approaches to decision making. Panicking due to emotion is the #1 easiest way to make a mistake in professional sports.

BUILD FROM THE BACK!!!!

I would immediately promote Eller to 2nd line center.. we traded halak for this kid... lets give him a chance... the next move regarding center would come on july 1st and i'd immediately go after Chris Kelly(UFA) to fill the 3rd line center and Paul Gausted (UFA) to fill the 4th line center spot.. it would free up plex from much of his defensive responsibilities and allow him to become more offensive... cheap moves involving no assets given up... id also move for the return of aaron asham(UFA) to complete a gritty 4th line of ryan white/gautsted/ asham

i would pursue ryan suter in a sign and trade deal offering up prospects and picks to get this deal done (weber and a 1st and 2nd even 2 firsts but he'd have to sign first,.. no rentals)... he could be a cornerstone on our defense and with gorges resigned and markov healthy and PK and emelin for next season wow wow!

id dump all of our UFA's... every single one except for gorges (3mil) AK (4.5mil) season .. moen, darche, spacek, campoli, gill all gone for picks and prospects

id exhaust myself in trying to move gomez.. if not he'd finish the season and start next season in the minors

our team after the deadline

cammalleri- plex -patches

DD- Eller-AK

gionta-gomez -cole

white- nokilinean- leBlanc

*** obviously altered if gomez is moved DD goes to center and leblanc moves up the line up)

Suter-subban

markov-gorges

emelin-St. Denis

Diaz

price

offseason aquistions

IN:

kelly (3 center)

gausted (4th center)

asham (4th wing)

souray (6th defence PP shot)

all UFA's

OUT:

DD traded

to start the next season

camm-plex- patches

gionta-eller- cole

LeBlanc-Kelly-AK

white-gautsted-asham

(Gallagher knocking on the door)

suter-gorges

markov-emelin

souray-subban

(st. denis, diaz, tinordi, beaulieu, bennent)

Price

id also look into parlaying gionta and a pick or prospect for another big fast winger like cole and patches who??? not sure quite yet!

but this is a very good team in front of price on defence and down the middle at center (very responsible).. with a mix of speed,size and talent on the wing this team i think is an instint contender with some little tweaking left

*remember that im not crunching cap numbers and understand that price, patches, and subban are RFA's

montreal was at no time ever involved or in the running for brad richards!!!! sorry but your way off on that one!

i still think Plekanec is not good enough to be a 1st center, regardless of who you fill the bottom lines with, I like the idea of flipping pleks and someone else for a bonifide number 1, and having eller play in the Number 2 spot....

montreal was at no time ever involved or in the running for brad richards!!!! sorry but your way off on that one!

At the time Dregger was saying they were so someone is not right here.

Check back at the media reports of July 1st. All the major media reported that we attended at Newport sports for a private meeting with Richards and his agent.