Who would you pick as a long term coach?

Kaboom

Depends what you mean by opposite of martin.

Martin is two things as a coach.... a defensive coach and a hard ass disciplinarian.

Carlyle might be more offensive, but he is also a hard ass too.

If you really want to change things, it might be time for more of a players coach, a better communicator. We've had some hardasses who weren't good communicators for a while now in Julien, Carbo, and Martin. I wouldn't mind a change from that philosophy along with the change from a D first mentality, if we are trying to get a total change up from Martin. More of a gainey type behind the bench (not gainey obviously) but just that different communication style.

Think the guy who took Kovalev for a walk, who massaged egos and got that guy going.

He's not a rookie coach, unless you don't count Columbus as an NHL team. :lol:

Whats a columbus ;)

Seriously though, rookie was the only thing that scares me... now that dlbalr and yourself have pointed out that he has about 140 games under his belt as an NHL coach.

I'm all in with this guy as our next coach (assuming the French Rule remains in place).

I like him better than all the other candidates mentionned.

I don't even care one bit about the bilingual rule, if someone knows how to coach then hire them!! I would take a guy that speaks only chinese and have a translator next to him, as long as the W's pile up, who gives a damn!!! I hate the Montreal press and the fanbase that complains that the coach doesn't speak french...

Geoff Molson has to stop catering to certain elements of the francophone press and start catering to the fan base who want a Cup-calibre team.

Has Le Gazette ever been denied an interview from Mike Cammalleri? Has Le Journal ever been declined by Carey Price for a piece? Does PK Subban not talk to RDS after games. The definition of insanity is repeating the same behaviour expecting a different outcome. If you go by that definition, then the Canadiens management, to the top levels, has been out of their puck-loving minds for the past 17 years. Geoff Molson has a chance to bring some sanity back to the club. Hire the best coach you can find, not the best francophone coach you can find.

• Upvote 2

Geoff Molson has to stop catering to certain elements of the francophone press and start catering to the fan base who want a Cup-calibre team.

Has Le Gazette ever been denied an interview from Mike Cammalleri? Has Le Journal ever been declined by Carey Price for a piece? Does PK Subban not talk to RDS after games. The definition of insanity is repeating the same behaviour expecting a different outcome. If you go by that definition, then the Canadiens management, to the top levels, has been out of their puck-loving minds for the past 17 years. Geoff Molson has a chance to bring some sanity back to the club. Hire the best coach you can find, not the best francophone coach you can find.

I think the only reason Douche, er, I mean darche is still here, is because of that certain element of the french media.

I like Darche, he's a very useful guy on the ice. He can take a shift on another line and not cost you the game because of it.

darche is a 4th liner and can and should play on this team but never above that. I think most of us think that. he never costs us games but playing 17mins a game is line being short handed the whole time. He can't score and has no offence in his body what so ever! ya he gives everything he has and good for him doing so.

Darche should NEVER play over 8 minutes in a 60 minute game.

If he has to kill penaltys you double shift someone at ES in his place.

Darche's TOI tonight: 19:46. As per Yahoo.

Darche should NEVER play over 8 minutes in a 60 minute game.

If he has to kill penaltys you double shift someone at ES in his place.

What about in a game when your fourth line wingers are Blunden and Weber?

He needs to get a regular shift right now... but I agree 19:46 is too much. Should be more like 14 minutes.

What a day. I was surprised to see Martin go. I would have thought that Gauthier would wait until Markov's return. Well, I guess that he blamed Martin for not being able to convince the players to play according to his system. If he had lost confidence in his coach, he had not choice but fire him. That's the way it is.

Listening to RDS tonight, it was rather funny to hear some of the reporters being outraged. I mean, they are the same guys who were second-guessing Martin at every turn. If it was not because of Cole's icetime on the PP, it was because Emelin was not playing or was playing on the right side, or Leblanc did not play after his goal. Tonight, they can't understand why the coach is paying while the team is playing so badly, and not Gauthier. Well, I guess that Gauthier will pay at the end of the season, if the team does not make the playoffs. But that will have to wait...

Talking about the game, it's unfortunate that the team is so fragile and can't play better when the game is tight. Like Gauthier, I believe that we have a better group than what we see on the ice. I don't know why, but the level of confidence is very low. And obviouly, some of our most talented players are not playing up to their potential. Cammalleri and Plekanec should look at them in the miror; they are part of the problem. A guy like Paccioretty could be better too; he has to forget about what happened with Letang and play better.

There are very simple things to accomplish to become a better team. To start with, the players have to be totally commited to the game plan. Secondly, they have to be more disciplined and stay out of the penalty box at all cost. Thirdly, turnovers most be limited to the strict minimum; there's no shame in using to board or dump the puck to clear the zone if you don't see a safe pass in a tight situation.

IMO, the next two weeks will potentially break or make the season. The players will be tested to the limit in the coming trip. If they come together and play as a unit, they will become stronger. Guys like Gomez, Gionta, Moen and Markov will be back before long, and they will help, but we need wins right now. the team as it is can do it, but the players have to believe in themselves. Obviously, they are not there yet. It's Cunneyworth's job is to convince them that anything is possible. once they are truly commited to his plan. If he succeeds, he will get an extension at the end of the year (no more interim, French-speaking or not). An like Gauthier said, learning a langage is not rocket science. I guess that one month at the Cégep de Jonquière next summer will help him a lot. Anyhow, I like the guy and wish him good luck.

Go for it Randy!

The list of potential bilingual candidates is pretty awful, led by Crawford. It's too bad this didn't happen like a month ago, we could have had Muller. Our next best bet is probably Guy Boucher or else a well-respected anglophone, maybe Randy Carlyle, but maybe someone better (Ted Nolan?). I hope not Bruce Boudreau!

But perhaps I'm being Quixotic.

The list of potential bilingual candidates is pretty awful, led by Crawford. It's too bad this didn't happen like a month ago, we could have had Muller. Our next best bet is probably Guy Boucher or else a well-respected anglophone, maybe Randy Carlyle, but maybe someone better (Ted Nolan?). I hope not Bruce Boudreau!

But perhaps I'm being Quixotic.

Boudreau wasn't unemployed long; he's in Anaheim. I think we're safe.

Based on everything I've read over the last 24 hours, I think the only reason St Patrick isn't coach is because he refuses to abandon the team he part-owns midway through a season. My bold prediction is that Our beloved Patrick Roy will be named the new head coach of the Montreal Canadiens in the few short weeks after the season and before the draft. Since the draft is here in Ottawa, it's close enough that the fan reaction will be electric when he goes up on stage to assist in announcing the Habs first rounder.

(And I'd like to say that I called the Martin hiring, so my percentage on calling coaches is 100% thus far.) LOL!!

Based on everything I've read over the last 24 hours, I think the only reason St Patrick isn't coach is because he refuses to abandon the team he part-owns midway through a season. My bold prediction is that Our beloved Patrick Roy will be named the new head coach of the Montreal Canadiens in the few short weeks after the season and before the draft. Since the draft is here in Ottawa, it's close enough that the fan reaction will be electric when he goes up on stage to assist in announcing the Habs first rounder.

(And I'd like to say that I called the Martin hiring, so my percentage on calling coaches is 100% thus far.) LOL!!

It would almost be worth it just to see him lose his mind on a guy like weber or diaz after they cough up the puck in front of Carey

Best coach in francise history only spoke English, Toe Blake. It should not be an issue. Roy would be a disaster I fear. It better not be Trembley. I hope they go after a Sutter myself. Maybe it is McGuire's time? I also hope that Cunneyworth is only short term and they are already looking for the next coach. Nothing against him, but the move of Assist GM to Assist Coach seems like a spot holder to me. Looks like Cunney's spot is being held until they fill the job and of course they wouldn't say they were looking. Wouldn't fit the head office's modus operandi.

The guys are RDS were unanimous that Patrick Roy will only accept being GM, not coach. It is certainly worth remembering the monumental scale of St. Patrick's ego. This notion seems plausible to me.

The guys are RDS were unanimous that Patrick Roy will only accept being GM, not coach. It is certainly worth remembering the monumental scale of St. Patrick's ego. This notion seems plausible to me.

Indeed. I'll qualify my above prognostication with one caveat: Roy will be hired once the season is over, as either coach OR GM.

Funny when RDS can do in-game interviews in ENGLISH (well the english speaking players/coaches) yet there HAS to be a bilingual coach............................. Limiting this option, fans/media need to decide wether their OK with an average coached team with a coach who's bilingual or go out on a limb and HIRE the BEST (winning record etc) coach available regardless of his ability to speak french

I think if Roy gets the gig I'll throw up...haven't we had enough of these "rookie" coaches/GM's in over their heads but able to speak to the media........

I've been more impressed with roys work in Quebec as a GM than i have been as coach. He's assembled a lot of talent.

Not tht I want a rookie put straight into that job; just an observation.