Who would you pick as a long term coach?

Kaboom

Scotty Bowman was just on local radio, stayed in the car just to listen. Two points that I thought I'd relay. He said it looks like the players have a crutch to use now, the coaching language stuff. And if they have a crutch they'll use it. It's RC's job to remove it. Also, any coach in this market should have a working knowledge of some French. He did. But it wasn't in a bury Cunneyworth way. Larry Cariere could be used to assist in French language media duties.

I agree Cucumber... I think that while some of the moves might have been coming, they were handled very poorly, especially the timing. Game day firings are just dumb, imo. I was also surprised at JM being fired when they apparently had no real plan to replace him, unless you believe they had no clue the french thing would come up. And if you believe that, then why did they call him interim coach in the first place???

I think PG is on his way out, but I am afraid the holdup is that they want Gainey back...

The solution to our woes is very simple. Move the Yotes to Quebec. The french media will instantly hate the Habs and since they won't like them anyway, the Habs can move forward as a team and give the "we need french coaches and players" type the finger.

This

crawford made the single worst coaching decision in the history of sports, and i'll never forgive him for it.

Revisionist history at best.

The team started off 1-5-2 and was still above 500 when Martin was fired.... I'd say the trend was going the other way.

They started poorly, found their game, and were slowly losing it. We may have had 6 in 7 in terms of points, or whoever the heck it was, but the play was getting worse by the game. They were more and more disorganized, and things were already starting to spiral. What you call revisionist history, I call paying attention to overall play, and not just squeezing out points.

Horsefeathers.

This is a team reacting to having a lame duck coach, a halfway out the door GM and a meddlesome owner. It was the exact opposite of what management wanted from Martin being fired, because up until the moment Martin was fired, the organization had at least a semblance of stability.

Now it's a shitstorm, and the on-ice product is mirroring that.

Now I know you're more observant than that. You telling me you didn't see them getting progressively worse?

Now I know you're more observant than that. You telling me you didn't see them getting progressively worse?

I saw a team playing pretty consistently safe and bad hockey while they awaited help from the IR, but I didn't see a team sliding towards the abyss they're currently swimming in.

You've written extensively about how badly management messed up the firing situation, and how it must have affected the room, but now you're adding the tagline, "...but it was all going to happen with Martin here anyway!" and I just can't buy it. It's such a colossal organizational ######up with massive ramifications on the psyche of an athlete... but the outcome would have been the same without the colossal organizational ######up.

I don't see how it's possible.

• Upvote 1

I saw a team playing pretty consistently safe and bad hockey while they awaited help from the IR, but I didn't see a team sliding towards the abyss they're currently swimming in.

You've written extensively about how badly management messed up the firing situation, and how it must have affected the room, but now you're adding the tagline, "...but it was all going to happen with Martin here anyway!" and I just can't buy it. It's such a colossal organizational ######up with massive ramifications on the psyche of an athlete... but the outcome would have been the same without the colossal organizational ######up.

I don't see how it's possible.

The firing was a colossal screw up. That he needed to be fired was not. The firing was handled poorly. Management blew that whole fiasco.

And I guess you and I saw different things. I saw fewer and fewer players giving a crap.

What an odd debate. The Jacques Martin fan club can meet in a phone booth. And that seems to include his actual players.

I'm not a huge fan of Martin, but I did like his structure and his system. I believe they were better off with him than without him.

What an odd debate. The Jacques Martin fan club can meet in a phone booth. And that seems to include his actual players.

I'm not a huge fan of Martin, but I did like his structure and his system. I believe they were better off with him than without him.

Habnut... you, me, and Commandant - phonebooth at Main and Park. Toga party!

Habnut... you, me, and Commandant - phonebooth at Main and Park. Toga party!

You can count me in too.

I think by Phonebooth he was referring to the Bell Centre. That might be able to hold us all.

You expected a fun and a good time from the pro JM crowd?? ;)

Fun-dips, Mountain Dew and 'Just Dance 3?' :lol: Stay home, bro!!