Tampa Bay vs Montreal, 7:00 PM, Jan. 7

dlbalr

Is there a site that keeps track of hits? I would think they must be pretty close.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20122MTLSASALL&sort=hits&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Don't know if that link will work exactly, but Emelin is #1 with 108, Cole #2 with 89 and Kostitsyn #7 with 46 (in 10 fewer games)

The problem with that is that Florida, Toronto, Ottawa, and New Jersey all had descent starts. You have to think that 3 of these 4 will slip in the second half. If the team is going to lose, I want it to be because the GM decided to sell vets and play rookies. Mini rebuild. I don't want to see good vets play like junk, not re sign and walk at the end of the season.

I feel the same way. I want to see the effort, but the issue we have is that in most cases we will get maximum value by waiting until the trade deadline. However, by waiting that long, and if the team does at least put through the effort, we won't finish far enough down in the standings to take advantage.

If we could get good value for Cammy/Gionta right now, I'd move at least one of them along with a weber or Campoli. However, given Cammy and Gionta's cap hit, we are more limited on with the teams we can move them at this time of the year.

But if we can, I'd like to move one of those two. I'd also move Moen, but, I'd rather wait till close to the deadline to move him, so we can have him stick with Ak46 and Eller for while more. They are clicking well together and I think getting consitency from Eller and Ak46 will go a long way in making them better players.

http://www.nhl.com/i...rtssPlayerStats

Don't know if that link will work exactly, but Emelin is #1 with 108, Cole #2 with 89 and Kostitsyn #7 with 46 (in 10 fewer games)

Thanks for the link. Holy smokes!! Emelin's hit stand out even more given that he's only played 29 games and really wasn't getting much ice time in a lot of those games!!

Emelin is really growing into the role. The way he sent Malone flying, that's rare. Despite my early-season scepticism this guy could indeed emerge as a major defensive force and one feared SOB on the blueline.

I missed the apparently horrible first period. The game I saw was one in which we basically dominated for 40 minutes. Having Gio back and Eller playing with such verve really helps, as does the return of MaxPac to something resembling an NHL hockey player. If we keep playing this way, we just might rattle off the big winning streak that the optimists have been desperately hoping for.

Meanwhile: can someone please tell me what the big deal is about Guy Boucher? This guy's getting zero from a loaded offensive team that can't play D. If they miss the playoffs, I fire him and bring in - you guessed it - Jacques Martin. And I'm not sure I'd be in any race to hire him were I Gauthier.

Emelin is really growing into the role. The way he sent Malone flying, that's rare. Despite my early-season scepticism this guy could indeed emerge as a major defensive force and one feared SOB on the blueline. I missed the apparently horrible first period. The game I saw was one in which we basically dominated for 40 minutes. Having Gio back and Eller playing with such verve really helps, as does the return of MaxPac to something resembling an NHL hockey player. If we keep playing this way, we just might rattle off the big winning streak that the optimists have been desperately hoping for. Meanwhile: can someone please tell me what the big deal is about Guy Boucher? This guy's getting zero from a loaded offensive team that can't play D. If they miss the playoffs, I fire him and bring in - you guessed it - Jacques Martin. And I'm not sure I'd be in any race to hire him were I Gauthier.

You have to keep in mind that Boucher really doesn't have a goalie and has defense much worse then ours.

Is there a site that keeps track of hits? I would think they must be pretty close.

There are on NHL.com

Emelin 115

Cole 93

Gorges 63

Moen 62

Subban 50

Darche 49

Kostitsyn 48

Pacioretty 44

Blunden 40

Of course these "real time stats" are notoriously unreliable, as what constitutes a "hit" varies from rink to rink.... so comparing Habs stats to other teams is problematic.

However since the rink bias is cut out by the fact they all are on the same team so they are pretty reliable.

You have to keep in mind that Boucher really doesn't have a goalie and has defense much worse then ours.

And is not getting offence with a team that should have more offensive guns than we do.

Their PP on the road is horrendous and they can't say they are missing their big PP gun in Markov either..

Emelin is really growing into the role. The way he sent Malone flying, that's rare. Despite my early-season scepticism this guy could indeed emerge as a major defensive force and one feared SOB on the blueline.

I missed the apparently horrible first period. The game I saw was one in which we basically dominated for 40 minutes. Having Gio back and Eller playing with such verve really helps, as does the return of MaxPac to something resembling an NHL hockey player. If we keep playing this way, we just might rattle off the big winning streak that the optimists have been desperately hoping for.

Meanwhile: can someone please tell me what the big deal is about Guy Boucher? This guy's getting zero from a loaded offensive team that can't play D. If they miss the playoffs, I fire him and bring in - you guessed it - Jacques Martin. And I'm not sure I'd be in any race to hire him were I Gauthier.

I missed the first as well but I saw a team that seemed pretty agressive and motivated out there, perhaps reflecting that "playing to win " vs playing not to lose approach. I feel a little disloyal to Jacques who served us very well in saying this incidentally. (Merci beaucoup monsieur M)

I am also callowly and shallowly relieved that Boucher may not be the first coming of the second coming in Tampa. I was a hundred miles from there last week and still couldn't hear them cheering. Couldn't hear the sound of a properly struck golf ball either **^%$#** :flaming:

Just saw a replay of AK playing some beautiful offensive stuff. Love to see that every night.

What a streak for the team 2 in a row!! I'll take it.

Just a few thoughts..Does anyone else notice that Emelin is rapidly becoming our best defenceman? He is learning proper positioning, and he is just a force out there, I love it. Not sure whats wrong with Pleks, but now, more than ever, that line of Plexs, Cammie and Gionta looks smaller than ever out there. On the bright side, we have two hard hitting, decently sized lines which can score now, when was the last time you could say that about our team? And finally, AK47 looks great, hitting everything that moves, and going hard to the net..keep it up, Andre!!

Just a few thoughts..Does anyone else notice that Emelin is rapidly becoming our best defenceman? He is learning proper positioning, and he is just a force out there, I love it. Not sure whats wrong with Pleks, but now, more than ever, that line of Plexs, Cammie and Gionta looks smaller than ever out there. On the bright side, we have two hard hitting, decently sized lines which can score now, when was the last time you could say that about our team? And finally, AK47 looks great, hitting everything that moves, and going hard to the net..keep it up, Andre!!

I think the three guys that benefited the most from the coaching change are Emelin, Eller and Ak46. If Martin was still here, we'd stil be seeing Gill getting close to 20 minutes. The only guy who has been worse is Pleks. I really think you need to get Pleks away from Gionta. They just don't have any chemistry together.

I'd swap COle for Gionta on that line, should give more room to both Pleks and Cammy. The other option would be the following:

COle-Pleks-Cammy

Ak46-Eller-Gionta

Maxpac-DD-Moen

Blunden-NN-Darche

But I'm reluctant to separate Moen from Eller & AK46 right now sine they work together and am also reluctant to put the man with hands of stone with DD & Maxpac.

Well, Pleks has earned the benefit of the doubt. His struggles probably have more to do with either loss of confidence, fatigue from overuse, or injury, than from laziness or bad attitude, which are characteristics of which he has never shown the slightest sign. The other possibility is a 'chemistry' problem (i.e., he is at loggerheads with one or more teammates).

I think he thinks if Gomez can do it, so can he. Pleks used to be one of our hardest working players, now you never see 14 in digging for a puck or battling in front of the net.

Let's face it, he is not a great center. He is not a good playmaker, is not very good on the face-off and loses his battles on the boards. His shot is average and stick handling just a bit more than average. All in all, he is not more than a good 2nd line center, and would be at his best as a 3rd line center on a good team.

I think the three guys that benefited the most from the coaching change are Emelin, Eller and Ak46. If Martin was still here, we'd stil be seeing Gill getting close to 20 minutes. The only guy who has been worse is Pleks. I really think you need to get Pleks away from Gionta. They just don't have any chemistry together.

I'd swap COle for Gionta on that line, should give more room to both Pleks and Cammy. The other option would be the following:

COle-Pleks-Cammy

Ak46-Eller-Gionta

Maxpac-DD-Moen

Blunden-NN-Darche

But I'm reluctant to separate Moen from Eller & AK46 right now sine they work together and am also reluctant to put the man with hands of stone with DD & Maxpac.

The biggest surprises this year are our two new defensemen: Diaz and Emelin. They are two very different players, but they both have their utility. If they can remain healthy, I believe that they will only get better. If you consider the possibility that Markov will be able to come back and the addition of a guy like Tinordi or Beaulieu sometimes next season, we will have a very respectable, fast defensive unit.

Well, Pleks has earned the benefit of the doubt. His struggles probably have more to do with either loss of confidence, fatigue from overuse, or injury, than from laziness or bad attitude, which are characteristics of which he has never shown the slightest sign. The other possibility is a 'chemistry' problem (i.e., he is at loggerheads with one or more teammates).

I would think that it is one of these two...remember a couple of years back when Kovalev was around they both had a bad year....i remember thinking that Plekanec's confidence is very fragile. I also think that when things arent going right for him he reverts back to the defensive minded player that he was in the beginning of his career.

He just needs to find a rythum (sp), he plays better when he thinks that everyone thinks hes the man...its a hard cycle to break...to play better he needs swager but to get that swager he just needs to play better....hence reverting to his best qualitites as a defensive forward.

Pleks would probably benefit from a return of our Alaskan mega superstar, high priced, number one center.

Oh yeah, superstar players like Orr, Gretzky, Morenz, Richard, and Gomez make everyone else better :lol:

Oh yeah, superstar players like Orr, Gretzky, Morenz, Richard, and Gomez make everyone else better :lol:

I actually feel bad for Gomer this year. He only had about three bad games this season. The others, the production was 't there, but he played very well. I think the team is better with him in the line up.

The guy I'm looking forward to having back is White. Cunneyworth doesn't shy away from the tough game. This was my biggest issue with Martin. I think players were scared to play tough. A fourth line of Noke, White, Blunden, Moen, Darche or some mixture of these guys should be high energy and fun to watch. I think Noke, Moen could make a formidable shut down pair. Throw in White and his high energy, zero fear game and Emelin scaring the hell outta those who dare forecheck, and this team makes some serious strides toward being harder to play against. I don't want to see a Boston Philly goon squad, but being the softest team in the NHL sucks.

I also feel bad for Gomer. If it was not for his salary (I know it's a big «if»), I am sure a lot of people would be looking at the situation quite differently. I agree with you about his performance earlier this year; the results weren't there, but he played better than last year nonetheless. I just hope that he'll be fine when he will come back. Like or not, the Habs are a lot better with Gomez in the line up.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the habs are a LOT better with Gomez in the lineup.

I also feel bad for Gomer. If it was not for his salary (I know it's a big «if»), I am sure a lot of people would be looking at the situation quite differently. I agree with you about his performance earlier this year; the results weren't there, but he played better than last year nonetheless. I just hope that he'll be fine when he will come back. Like or not, the Habs are a lot better with Gomez in the line up.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the habs are a LOT better with Gomez in the lineup.

Well, they're a 'lot' better if he plays the way he did for four or five games before he got hurt. I think that's fair to say. But that's another big 'if.'

O.K. Let's just say that they're better. And if they are indeed a lot better, well, I won't mind at all.