Au Revoir Mathieu darche

PMAC

I am ambivalent about Darche leaving. On the one hand, I am happy that Bergevin offered him a two-way deal because indicates to me two things 1. that the GM anticipates that there will be a young player or a FA to fill Darche's role and 2. that MB is not going to overvalue a marginal talent simply because he is French speaking and good with the media. On the other hand, Darche was a character guy and I liked the effort he brought. I hope some one picks him up but i could see MD ending his career in Europe.

In a big way, I am disappointed that Bergevin didn't offer Darche a one year one way contract because 1) he has been one of Montreals best defensive forwards and penalty killers

2) he could chip in offensively and take on a top 6 role when needed (he scored 12 goals and 26 points in 2010/11 when Pacioretty was injured later on in the season) 3) It would have been nice to see Darche finish his career in Montreal

In a way though it might be a good move for both sides because Darche could find himself on a better team and in a better situation, while Bergrevin could fill Darches void with a young player like Palushaj, Dumont or Gallagher.....Also with Darche more then likely gone, Bergevin may re-sign (potential UFA) Staubitz, who along with White will make Montreal much bigger and tougher to play against much like last year when Staubitz was picked up on waivers by Montreal at the trade deadline

Too bad. A useful player, wrongly maligned by some Habs's fans because he was the ONLY guy willing to drive the net on the PP. But he was always on limited time and at 35, it might well be time for him to look to go play in Europe a la Metropolit (another grinder who was hated by some fans, for much the same reason).

One nice thing about this is that it suggests Bergevin's talk about 'francisizing' the team is just that, talk.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe since Darche is 35+, a one-way contract would have counted against the cap, even if he was sent down. This is why a two-way contract was offered, but Darche refused it (also I hear it was less than what he wanted). Both parties are acting from a smart business perspective.

That all being said, Darche was certainly likable, and his work ethic served as an inspiration to the young'ens. We will miss him on the PK, but I think we're better off giving his spot to one of the kids.

Too bad. A useful player, wrongly maligned by some Habs's fans because he was the ONLY guy willing to drive the net on the PP. But he was always on limited time and at 35, it might well be time for him to look to go play in Europe a la Metropolit (another grinder who was hated by some fans, for much the same reason).

Yeah I never understood it either. His 26 points in 59 games for Montreal in 11-12 is basically the best possible season you could ask for a fourth line energy player.

I loved Metropolit because of reasons other than his on ice performance. He became an NHL hockey player because he wanted it bad enough. He didn't have wealthy parents putting him in private schools or getting him summer skating lessons from former NHLers. I had no idea people hated him.

Yeah I never understood it either. His 26 points in 59 games for Montreal in 11-12 is basically the best possible season you could ask for a fourth line energy player.

I loved Metropolit because of reasons other than his on ice performance. He became an NHL hockey player because he wanted it bad enough. He didn't have wealthy parents putting him in private schools or getting him summer skating lessons from former NHLers. I had no idea people hated him.

Well, 'hate' is much too strong. Metropolit became a lightning rod used to zap Carbo, who was roundly condemned for being sooooo idiotic as to use Metopolit on the PP. Similarly, Darche became a mechanism to attack Martin, because JM used him on the PP as well. In both cases, the criticism was stupid. These coaches wanted their players to drive the net on the power play, and rewarded players who actually did that with power play time. Simple as that.

Well, 'hate' is much too strong. Metropolit became a lightning rod used to zap Carbo, who was roundly condemned for being sooooo idiotic as to use Metopolit on the PP. Similarly, Darche became a mechanism to attack Martin, because JM used him on the PP as well. In both cases, the criticism was stupid. These coaches wanted their players to drive the net on the power play, and rewarded players who actually did that with power play time. Simple as that.

Metropolit was also our only right handed centre and in face-off situations for the PP was that at times extremely crucial.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe since Darche is 35+, a one-way contract would have counted against the cap, even if he was sent down. This is why a two-way contract was offered, but Darche refused it (also I hear it was less than what he wanted). Both parties are acting from a smart business perspective.

If it's a multi-year deal, it gets the 35+ treatment. One year pacts are treated as normal.

If it's a multi-year deal, it gets the 35+ treatment. One year pacts are treated as normal.

Thanks for the clarification.

That all being said, Darche was certainly likable, and his work ethic served as an inspiration to the young'ens. We will miss him on the PK, but I think we're better off giving his spot to one of the kids.

Darche was only 6th on the team in PK minutes per game last year (forwards only counted here) with 1:47 per game.

In 2010-11 he basically never played on the PK (only 40 seconds all season).

Darche was only 6th on the team in PK minutes per game last year (forwards only counted here) with 1:47 per game.

In 2010-11 he basically never played on the PK (only 40 seconds all season).

That's a surprise. Perhaps I just noticed him more as he seemed to make the smart play more often than not last season. There's also a good chance that my memory is being influenced by his last month with the team, when he tallied two short-handed goals and a short-handed assist.

I am ambivalent about Darche leaving. On the one hand, I am happy that Bergevin offered him a two-way deal because indicates to me two things 1. that the GM anticipates that there will be a young player or a FA to fill Darche's role and 2. that MB is not going to overvalue a marginal talent simply because he is French speaking and good with the media. On the other hand, Darche was a character guy and I liked the effort he brought. I hope some one picks him up but i could see MD ending his career in Europe.

Nice summary of a good player and what seems a good managerial approach.

I liked him too.

Darche played his heart out, but really didn't stand out at anything, and wasn't tough or much of an agitator. These are the qualities good teams have on the bottom 6. Take a look at the bottom 6 after the last few days, and compare to last years group. We are now big, mean and annoying on the last 2 lines. These guys are going to go out and hit everything they can, agitate, and keep other teams away from Carey, PK, etc. After a few games, we won't miss Darche at all.

Darche played his heart out, but really didn't stand out at anything, and wasn't tough or much of an agitator. These are the qualities good teams have on the bottom 6. Take a look at the bottom 6 after the last few days, and compare to last years group. We are now big, mean and annoying on the last 2 lines. These guys are going to go out and hit everything they can, agitate, and keep other teams away from Carey, PK, etc. After a few games, we won't miss Darche at all.

I already don't.