Lockout

ForumGhost

The #2 guys met last night without resorting to any childish retorts back and forth in the media afterwards. That's a step up. Seriously, the NHL reportedly is willing to fund (guarantee) part of the previously proposed 'Make Whole' provision that previously would've been funded solely via escrow.

As for some of the other items that have been proposed, including some of the items that certainly don't get any real coverage in the media but are in the CBA (such as what the teams are responsible for in terms of player/family lodging and player access to tickets) as well as some more 'relevant' stuff, here's a good read on where we're at: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/177160641.html

All the scheduled games before Dec. have been cancelled. There is nothing to stop them from rescheduling games in November if indeed they could get ready. At this stage though, they may decide to revamp the whole years schedule. i really don't know how much lead time they need to get travel plans reengaged or changed.

We can't see NHL hockey before December. All games prior to December have been cancelled.

I think the season is over. Oh well.

It's always darker before dawn.

Don't be pessimistic. They are getting very close to each other. We can have a hockey season sooner than you think.

All the scheduled games before Dec. have been cancelled. There is nothing to stop them from rescheduling games in November if indeed they could get ready.

This is just speculation on my part, but wouldn't the arenas have scheduled something else for the month of November by now? It's hard to imagine that they'd remain empty for all the games that were cancelled.

This is just speculation on my part, but wouldn't the arenas have scheduled something else for the month of November by now? It's hard to imagine that they'd remain empty for all the games that were cancelled.

What could you book in the Bell Centre on short notice? It takes a while to get concert planning together, UFC/Wrestling/Boxing stuff, other sports, etc. When you're cancelling games mere weeks ahead of time, that wouldn't give the Evenko group enough time I don't think to put something notable together.

What could you book in the Bell Centre on short notice? It takes a while to get concert planning together, UFC/Wrestling/Boxing stuff, other sports, etc. When you're cancelling games mere weeks ahead of time, that wouldn't give the Evenko group enough time I don't think to put something notable together.

Maybe nothing huge on short notice, but I don't think it's implausible that they'd book something or someone to put butts in the seats.

It's always darker before dawn.

Don't be pessimistic. They are getting very close to each other. We can have a hockey season sooner than you think.

I honestly don't care that much anymore. Maybe my interest will go back up when the NHL returns but I'm not missing it.

Maybe nothing huge on short notice, but I don't think it's implausible that they'd book something or someone to put butts in the seats.

They'd fill some dates. Can they fill every date, making arenas completely and totally unavailable throughout the NHL? Highly doubtful.

You could re-jig the schedule and start playing about 2.5 weeks after signing a deal.

The schedule just would be different than originally planned. Much like the NBA last year.

So after around 4 hours of meeting, the NHL's media statement was released:

Members of the National Hockey League's negotiating committee met for several hours today with representatives of the National Hockey League Players' Association regarding a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The plan is to resume those discussions tomorrow. Out of respect for the negotiation process, we will reserve comment until the subsequent discussions.'

The problem? The meeting wasn't and as I type this, still isn't over. Someone jumped the gun...

I think both sides realize that wrapping this up now is the only time they will. The NBA rebounded (har) pretty well by having the 60 game season. Some people even saying they preferred it due to less wear and tear on the players and the first 20 games being pretty meaningless.

Pretty much, if talks fall apart this time, you can call it quits.

i am fine with pulling the plug on season, getting it sorted out by next fall is fine with me.

TSN and Sportsnet are really getting very annoying and sounding like a broken record, especially that idiotic Doug McLean.

Lots of other sports/hockey to follow and Habs aint got a chance in hell to contend this year, so what will really be missed?

Could use another sweet lottery pick like the last one.

Could use another sweet lottery pick like the last one.

If the lottery were to follow the same rules as the previous one, the Habs wouldn't be in great shape due to their making the playoffs the past few years prior to 2011-12. Their odds would likely fall around 14th-18th or so.

Disclaimer : I personally think that it is pure bullshit.

But, my friend's step father, who is affiliated with CSN (a union in Québec) has been told (so far, can you see why I don't believe in this?) that a huge chunk of the Bell Center employees (other CSN union affiliated) have been contacted by their boss. They would have been told to stay tuned for an imminent return to work.

Once again, my source is pretty much near 0% reliable and myself thinks that it is pure bullshit. But hey... I miss hockey...

The NHL is accusing Don Fehr of withholding their last offer from the players. The PA also apparently wants their full salaries even in a shortened season, that too will cause some serious problems. Just when we thought things were getting better...

To be fair, the PA is denying both of these and talks may actually continue tomorrow.

There can be no expectations to get paid while the CBA is in dispute and they are locked out. I rather think they are looking for a full piece of their scheduled contracts in year one, prorated to the amount of time they are back to work this year. I think they have been pretty consistant with asking for a graduated system to get back to a 50/50 split. I don't see how taking something then giving it back is really giving anything.

The NHL is accusing Don Fehr of withholding their last offer from the players. The PA also apparently wants their full salaries even in a shortened season, that too will cause some serious problems. Just when we thought things were getting better...

To be fair, the PA is denying both of these and talks may actually continue tomorrow.

Puck daddy with an interesting story here. Sounds like Bettman is more concerned with PR than the truth (or making a deal)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/did-donald-fehr-memo-intentionally-misrepresent-nhl-offer-021613314--nhl.html

Wow. I've been trying not to pay attention, nor to get too excited or disappointed by any specific rumour or piece of news regarding this total bullshit NHL lockout. But I gotta say, if Fehr is withholding info to the players - which I doubt - then we are in deep doo-doo indeed; and if he is being falsely accused of doing this by the NHL - which I don't doubt very much - then we are similarly in deep shite. There is no way that optimism is possible no matter how we interpret this story. What a bunch of scum-sucking morons.

There are anywhere from 6-12 players attending every meeting (and different ones all the time). How would Fehr possibly withhold info from the players?

I think you are right CC, the NHL is accusing him for PR reasons and we are in deep doo-doo.

This reminds me of two little kids, each with a big bag of candy and the big kid reaches down and grabs a fistfull of candy out of the little kid's bag, the little kid protesting to no avail. I do remember players agents coming around each year and wanting more money despite the economic climate. What goes around comes around. We all know that there isn't a player in any sport worth a million dollars a year. Maybe we are starting to get back to reality. No? Don't expect ticket prices to go down accordingly.