Could this Lockout be the Last Stand for some longtime NHL Stars?

Commandant

Good article. Although not suggesting he's hall of fame material, or in the same class as Koivu, another of my favorite ex habs we may have seen the last of is Sheldon Souray. I for one, would miss him.

(null)

What would be a huge hit for everyone is if players like Ovechkin, Malkin, Rinne and other big name European players sign overseas and don't come back. Last lockout Malkin was offered an $18m USD per year contract to stay in Russia. He turned it down, but this being the second lockout in less than 10 years, maybe some European players may just stay. While it's not probable for most players, Malkin has a Cup, why wouldn't he play for money in the KHL now?

The tables would turn if the NHL and owners were scared of players not returning. The problem is they know the players and fans will return, and they make their money elsewhere. Why should they rush to get everything back?

They can't sue for the NHL contract. All they can do is suspend the NHL contract. They can't even add a new clause in it and expect it to be enforced as their contracts are according to the old CBA.

The only thing that would really hinder the players is the IIHF can bar them from playing in international tournaments for having contracts in 2 leagues.

If players salaries/contracts are reduced, as the owners want, I would have thought there would be a good argument from the players that the contract is invalid. I.e. not the same as what they signed.

I'm no lawyer though so most likely wrong lol.

(null)

They can't sue for the NHL contract. All they can do is suspend the NHL contract. They can't even add a new clause in it and expect it to be enforced as their contracts are according to the old CBA.

The only thing that would really hinder the players is the IIHF can bar them from playing in international tournaments for having contracts in 2 leagues.

If its an Ovechkin or a Malkin, where the league and team have marketted them heavily and they are the face of the game in those cities, they can go after them for intentional breach of contract and the damages that result from it. This isn't the same as Radulov where we had a young kid who was just starting to break out and show promise.

Ovechkin in particular, there would be a very good argument that the Capitals signed this guy to a very long term deal with the idea of making him their face of the franchise for the length of the contract.

If there is any signing bonuses or front loaded money on these contracts, they can absolutely be sued. For a precedent look at where Ricky Williams was sued by the Miami Dolphins and forced to return his signing bonus when he quit football and didn't fulfill the terms of his contract.

If players salaries/contracts are reduced, as the owners want, I would have thought there would be a good argument from the players that the contract is invalid. I.e. not the same as what they signed.

I'm no lawyer though so most likely wrong lol.

(null)

The players are members of the NHLPA, the NHLPA signed a CBA which allowed the contracts to be reduced. They are not invalid.

I can promise you all that if Ovechkin decides to stay in Russia he WILL stay in Russia and there will be nothing the NHL OR the NHLPA can do about it except if he decides he wants to come back to the NHL that is.

I can promise you all that if Ovechkin decides to stay in Russia he WILL stay in Russia and there will be nothing the NHL OR the NHLPA can do about it except if he decides he wants to come back to the NHL that is.

Agreed. The NHL won't take it lightly and they will try to make it hard on any players who jump but if a player jumps there's nothing they will be able to do. Especially not stop them from playing in the Olympics.

This is a left field question, but could someone setup a league in North America? For example, what is to stop the NHLPA deregistering (I think the nflpa did that) and setup their own league? I'm not sure who owns arenas etc, but is this scenario possible?

(null)

This is a left field question, but could someone setup a league in North America? For example, what is to stop the NHLPA deregistering (I think the nflpa did that) and setup their own league? I'm not sure who owns arenas etc, but is this scenario possible?

(null)

There was a league of sorts established in 2004 that was to be for NHL players to play in during the lockout, the OSHL. It had nothing to do with de-registering and whatnot, but that's the closest I can think of. 3 preseason games were played before the league died.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2004/09/23/640672.html

He can stay if he wants, it will cost him even more money to do so though, as he'll be paying back significant portions of money already collected on his front loaded deal.

(null)

De-Registering has nothing to do with setting up their own league. They could set up their own league today because they are locked out.

The NFLPA and NBA players de-registered in order to sue their leagues in US Labour Courts under anti-trust legislation. Its a tactic to end the lockouts, and could happen in this case as well (at some point).

De-Registering has nothing to do with setting up their own league. They could set up their own league today because they are locked out.

The NFLPA and NBA players de-registered in order to sue their leagues in US Labour Courts under anti-trust legislation. Its a tactic to end the lockouts, and could happen in this case as well (at some point).

Yeah, sorry to harp on about deregistering lol. Don't know why thats sticking in my mind.

However, the main point of my question was could someone else step in now and sign the players to a rival league? I guess from your reply that the answer is yes.

The reason I asked, was that about 10 years ago, the Australian Rugby League (pro rugby league competition) tried to implement a salary cap, and much like the NHL ended up locking players out. Rupert Murdoch (media baron) then started a rival league (superleague) and started signing players. This caused immediate panic in the ARL who scrapped the salary cap and tried to sign players too. The result was two separate leagues for about 3 years before they eventually merged and ironically enough implemented a salary cap to curb the rampant salaries inflated by the league war.

I think that the NHL CBA system is flawed and it is almost inevitable that there will be some form of stoppage at the end of each CBA term. With such a toxic system in place I would have thought that a rival league was a possability and was really just wondering what you guys thought about that, being that you are mainly in North America and are better informed whereas I am here on the edge of the hockey world in New Zealand.

I could probably chip in $10 to start the new league lol

• 4 weeks later...

Today I took a look at 7 players who may have played their last NHL game if a lockout lasts a full season.

One of those players is a long-time Hab and one of my favorite players.

http://lastwordonspo...time-nhl-stars/

Nicely done piece. Those guys would leave some great holes in our hearts.

I hear we have about another week to save 82 games.