Mar. 3, Canadiens vs Bruins, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

It was not tanking. It was stupidity, idiocy and incompetence. To say we tanked it is giving far too much credit to PG. the only other GM's who are as bad as PG today are Feaster and Sherman.

We played Geoffrion in the top six several times, only once tried to improve the team (Spacek for Kaberle), traded a top six sniper mid-game (Cammalleri), fired our coach only two points from a playoff spot to replace him with a rookie assistant coach and immediately created a language controversy.

Teams don't tank by simply trading their best players but also by letting them go by free agency. Only GMs can tank. Gauthier was handcuffed on how many moves he could make by Molson but he still made some dumb supposedly lateral moves. It was a tank job.

That was also a time when the ownership was unstable, the management weak and the cupboard bare, thanks to the Corey/houle years. To top it off the Canadian dollar was weak and most players didn't want to come to Montreal.

It again was not a case of tanking, it was incompetence. Tanking organizations finish at the bottem (even than there are no guarantees - see CLB and the NYI), rudderless ones middle of the pack, where they squeak in or miss the playoffs (see TOR and CLG).

Oh please, he said the whole team had to step up. They interviewed Gill and others and they agreed. Next game he was traded. It was a Houle/Corey style panic.

No, last season isn't but 1998-2003 was definitely a time where Montreal was not spending money, was getting rid of all of their stars and almost traded several players to get 1st Overall for Ilya Kovalchuk. If Theodore didn't turn into a goaltending god they would have definitely been a Bottom three NHL team. In other words, Andre Savard just failed at tanking (you always trade the goalies first).

Big markets rarely tank. Chicago lived through the Wirtz era of losing all of their top stars because Wirtz held a tight purse. When he died the Blackhawks were one of the worst attendance teams in the NHL. Their best players were Tyler Arnason and Mark Bell. They had no choice but to build through the draft. Guess who comes from that draft building mentality? Marc Bergevin.

Agreed, but I don't disagree with or fault Cammy for saying what he did - he was spot on.

"The team has a mindset, a loser type mentality." If this is not talkshitting your team, what does it take ?

Habs never finished in the bottom 5 of the league between 1998 and 2003. Not once.

They were maybe not spending to the max, but were always trying to make the playoffs and somewhat get better.

I agree that Chicago got fooled by their previous owner, but it is what it is. That's how he decided to play the game.

I don't say that Chicago is a wreck of a franchise, just that I don't respect the multi-years tanking strategy. It is just too easy.

What we pulled last season is what Philly did a few years ago when they drafted JVR.

This was news to Price, so MT took Price out... Now I think our chances to win with Price was low, but I dont agree with this decision. The only theory I can buy is MT sending a message to the team to play tight D since Budaj is in net.

Excellent first 3 shifts

Looks like Chucky is on the 4th line.

looks like there is a 4th liner on every line.

Pretty good period overall, the Habs were a lot better in their own end (save for the goal where Subban chased the wrong guy). As for the lines, Moen and Galchenyuk seemed to flip-flop depending on the situation.

It was not tanking. It was stupidity, idiocy and incompetence. To say we tanked it is giving far too much credit to PG. the only other GM's who
are as bad as PG today are Feaster and Sherman.

Don't forget Steve Tambellini, whose idea of building a contender literally is to do nothing productive and try to win the lottery year after year.

While I agree with most of your statement, losing their #1 goalie wasn't that big of a hit to the Bruins. Rask has been on the brink of being ready since they signed Thomas and the last couple of years he has looked ready. Last season they had 2 #1 goalies and you can't sit Thomas when he's performing like the record setting goalie he was the year before. Afterall Rask was pegged as a top goalie in this league for awhile now. It's just not he's getting his shot.

If my memory serves me, didn't the Bruins get Rask from the Leafs?

By the way, the second goal has since been officially changed to Desharnais (unassisted).

They did. Straight up for Andrew Raycroft (who has a losing record in the Italian Serie A this year).

They did. Straight up for Andrew Raycroft (who has a losing record in the Italian Serie A this year).

Toronto should just stop trading with Boston.

Budaj has to learn to eat the puck...even wristers from the blue line, while directed to the corner, setup the forecheck. He needs to grab them and control the play.

Bruins up...flukey one.