2012-13 NHL Playoffs Thread

Detroit's struggle is coming.... Datsyuk is supposed to be leaving after next season.

Datsyuk, Nic, Holmstrom gone.. I assume Zetterbeg will follow soon.

What is Detroit after these guys gone? I don't remember hockey before them tbh!

John Tortorella has been fired by the Rangers. I'm not sure whether or not to be surprised - on the one hand, I thought he was going to be fired after they played so listlessly against the Habs but on the other, they did get to the 2nd round and were missing some important players due to injury (Staal and Clowe in particular).

John Tortorella has been fired by the Rangers. I'm not sure whether or not to be surprised - on the one hand, I thought he was going to be fired after they played so listlessly against the Habs but on the other, they did get to the 2nd round and were missing some important players due to injury (Staal and Clowe in particular).

the fan base was demanding it pretty hard.

the fan base was demanding it pretty hard.

I'd have to think that the whole Richards-healthy scratch thing must have made mgmt examine the team pretty closely.

I'd like to see the Canuckleheads get hold of him...not only would he bring some fire to a listless dressing room, but he'd offer round-the-clock entertainment for us living in this neck of the woods. :crazy:

It looks like there's an agreement in place with the Gosbee group to buy the team and keep them in Phoenix. As we've seen from past history though, it's not done until all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed.

Here are some reported numbers about the ~$165-$170 M deal that appears to be costing the Gosbee group a whole lot less than that. If I'm interpreting it correctly, the new owners will pay $45 M and an investment group $120 M (and they'll be repaid by the City of Glendale and the taxpayers through the arena management fee). On top of that, the NHL is loaning the group $85 M interest free for five years while guaranteeing the maximum amount possible through revenue sharing. So the new owner is essentially funding about 1/4 of the purchase price and will get the team for a whopping $45 M. I wonder if any of the owners are wishing they'd have accepted Jim Balsille's offer years ago...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/05/30/phoenix-coyotes-170-million-sale-to-be-partially-funded-by-nhl/

On top of that, HC at Noon on Sportsnet apparently reported that the Gosbee group has an option to re-sell the team to the NHL in 5 years. If that were to happen, they'll have effectively 'bought' a team for 5 years for $5 million (plus whatever inevitable losses occur).

Uh, what's happening to Pittsburgh? 4 goals allowed in the first period tonight.

I don't know man. Price sucks, but Fleury is a proven SC winner...

St. Louis forward Andy McDonald retires. Wow, I didn't see that coming. I guess that means I won't be drafting him in the pool anymore (as I seem to do annually). Post-concussion symptoms is the reason.

Pitts is really imploding. While MAF blows, Vokoun has generally given them a chance most games. Two goals in three games from the offensive powerhouse of the East is not good. The team D is suspect, but they have always made it up with scoring. While Boston is doing a good job defensively, it seems to me more a case of Pitts playing horribly. Crosby is a give away machine with the offensive output of Colby Armstrong.... ouch.

In any case, I give them about zero chance of winning the series. They will be lucky to win game 4.

In any case, I give them about zero chance of winning the series. They will be lucky to win game 4.

They've gotta win tomorrow...at least then if they lose in 5, I'll get the number of games right (I said PIT in 5...whoops).

Wow... Stacked Pitts score two goals in four games and get swept.

I am all in for Chicago now. It would be nice if the refs would call penalties so the best team, not the clutch and grab team, wins.

ok even though I never cheer for a team other than Les Habs, given a choice of the Forking Broons and the Hawks, I take the Hawks all day long. :habslogo:

Gonchar's negotiating rights have been traded to the Stars for a conditional 6th round pick, so we won't see him in a Sens uniform next season.

It looks like he has already signed, 2 years at $5 M per year. Not bad for a slow 39 year old.

It looks like he has already signed, 2 years at $5 M per year. Not bad for a slow 39 year old.

Should we start an NHL offseason thread? It seems to have already started for most teams, and there won't be much time between the SCF and the draft...

Should we start an NHL offseason thread? It seems to have already started for most teams, and there won't be much time between the SCF and the draft...

Yeah, we probably could. There has been a coaching change and some expect the next couple of weeks to be busy. We'll leave this thread for the playoff talk then.