Groulx let go as goalie coach, Stephane Waite named replacement

habs rule

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't go near Allaire. He was a dud in Toronto because he always forces the goalie to play Allaire style, rather then working with the goalies natural style.

Who ever they get needs to be 50 percent shrink.

I wouldn't go near Allaire. He was a dud in Toronto because he always forces the goalie to play Allaire style, rather then working with the goalies natural style.

Who ever they get needs to be 50 percent shrink.

He was the first goalie coach the habs ever had. And he was pretty successful with that Patrick Roy guy. However he may be outdated now. I don't know how he would work with Price who is not a true butterfly goalie.

Brian Burke accused Allaire of being outdated because he couldn't turn Jonas Gustuvsson into a starter. He did great things with Reimer and Scrivens, especially Reimer who was a C quality goalie he turned into a B quality goalie. In 2011-2012 the Leafs goaltending took a nosedive because Burke decided to have two non-goalie coaches coach the goalies while Allaire was stuck to coaching Scrivens and did a great job of it.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2012/9/28/3423220/francois-allaire-slams-brian-burke-greg-cronin-scott-gordon-maple-leafs

Allaire is linked to Colorado and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. It's all about the technique (drop and block) with him and given Price's size and athleticism, I don't think an all-technique guy is what he needs, more of a hybrid guy (Price's style in the WHL) is preferable to me. However, he apparently has also had 'informal discussions' with the Habs so who knows. I'd also toss Eli Wilson's name out there as an option, he works with Price in the offseason and has NHL experience as a goalie coach.

One possible internal option is Vincent Riendeau who is Hamilton's goaltending consultant. Apparently the Habs are talking to possible goalie coach options for Hamilton; if true, either Riendeau is a legit option for the Montreal job or he's going to be out of one.

To a Vulcan mind meld and get Brodeur to retire and then hire him. He is closet to the style that Price played when he first came up.

My memory is spotty, but isn't this the second goalie coach Price gets fired?

The Price file depresses me a little bit. He's a good goalie and all, but...I seem to recall when he first came up, his positioning was so superb he hardly seemed to move in the net, yet the puck always hit him; and he projected a surreal unflappability. Neither has been reliably true since 2009, although he had a helluva 2010-11 season and playoff. I know next to nothing about the technical aspects of goaltending, but sometimes I wonder whether he has been 'overcoached' (kind of like Tiger Woods, always reconstructing his swing and wasting months of his career in the process) or otherwise mishandled.

From what I'm reading, Price had no say in this. In fact, he and Groulx had already come up with a plan for next year (according to Groulx). Groulx met with Bergevin/Therrien today and the decision was made following the meeting. In terms of his play having a say, I'd say there's a case to be made there.

The Price file depresses me a little bit. He's a good goalie and all, but...I seem to recall when he first came up, his positioning was so superb he hardly seemed to move in the net, yet the puck always hit him; and he projected a surreal unflappability. Neither has been reliably true since 2009, although he had a helluva 2010-11 season and playoff. I know next to nothing about the technical aspects of goaltending, but sometimes I wonder whether he has been 'overcoached' (kind of like Tiger Woods, always reconstructing his swing and wasting months of his career in the process) or otherwise mishandled.

There is a lot to what you say about over coaching, as a former goalie (ok I couldn't carry Cary's left skate but) you start out making it up as you go and then someone comes along and says do this different etc. All be it coaching, however the position is about refexes and positioning. Which Carey has in spades. I think he needs to play HIS game, with some minor tweaks here and there. If you want to see a guy who i don't think ever had a goalie coach look at the Dominator. There is nobody teaching that style, nor should they. :lol: Carey needs confidence more than any technical teaching. He is a very sound technical goalie in my veery limited opinion. :habslogo:

From what I'm reading, Price had no say in this. In fact, he and Groulx had already come up with a plan for next year (according to Groulx). Groulx met with Bergevin/Therrien today and the decision was made following the meeting. In terms of his play having a say, I'd say there's a case to be made there.

Yeah, I didn't mean 'gets fired' in the literal sense - I meant rather 'isn't this the second goalie coach fired in Price's time with us?' But maybe I'm confusing him with Luongo ( natural mistake for me, living in Vancouver). Goalie coaches aren't exactly front of mind 99.9% of the time.

Whatever the case may be, I think it's fair to say that Price has yet to consistently deliver on his massive promise and that a change in his coach might redound to his benefit.

Carey seems to be a candidate for the Lars Eller school of sports psychiatry. I don't mean that as an insult in any way, incidentally. It's just these droughts he goes through are damaging his career and if he can acquire some therapeutic tools for transcending them, that'd be great.

Yeah, I didn't mean 'gets fired' in the literal sense - I meant rather 'isn't this the second goalie coach fired in Price's time with us?' But maybe I'm confusing him with Luongo ( natural mistake for me, living in Vancouver). Goalie coaches aren't exactly front of mind 99.9% of the time.

You're right, it is the second goalie coach that is being let go in Price's tenure - the other of course being Melanson who I do believe is now in Vancouver oddly enough. I just wasn't sure if you were inferring that Price had more to do with the firing than just being the starter who scuffled with his play during the year - clearly you weren't.

If anyone's wondering who the current goalie coaches are around the league, here's a list (it has most of them at least): http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26014

Frankly, I agree with you that Price at this point needs a shrink before a goalie coach. Once he does get a goalie coach, the coach should work on using the style that works for Price and not on adopting his style.

Whatever the case may be, I think it's fair to say that Price has yet to consistently deliver on his massive promise and that a change in his coach might redound to his benefit.

Carey seems to be a candidate for the Lars Eller school of sports psychiatry. I don't mean that as an insult in any way, incidentally. It's just these droughts he goes through are damaging his career and if he can acquire some therapeutic tools for transcending them, that'd be great.

Kolzig has a long history with Price. Not sure if that'd be a good thing or a bad thing but I believe Price still trains on his team in the WHL over the summer.

I believe that Price and Kolzig have a very good relationship and maybe that is just what he needs. In the past I believe that Price has said that Kolzig was very helpful in his development. :habslogo:

In my opinion, I actually think the first 20 games or so of last season was some of the best hockey Price has played in his career. If it is true that he was nursing a groin injury throughout the season last year, then I'm pretty optimistic about his future with us. If he was healthy, then I agree that there certainly is something going on between his ears that needs to be addressed. Actually, either way there definitely is a little something there that needs to be addressed but to say that he hasn't demonstrated what he did in '09 since then isn't accurate in my books... I saw some great play last season.

The only question that really matters is whether or not he has what it takes to win a Stanley Cup... and with the proper team in front of him I definitely think he does.

Price works out with Eli Wilson in the summers.

Wilson has said he doesn't want to be a full time goalie coach except if the right team asked, he wouldn't do it for just anybody... oh but he also said Montreal is one of the team's he'd go into full time coaching for.