2013 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

A couple of players got big extensions today, Dustin Brown gets 8 years and $5.875M per, Matt Duchene gets 5 years at $6M per. I can see the Kings regretting the last couple of years on Brown, he's a nice player now but 7-9 years from now, I don't think he'll have much left.

Early West coast swing is interesting.

March is going to be hell for us. There's a Pacific swing week plus two games against the Leafs, two games against the Bruins, Detroit and Ottawa. Brutal. April ain't much better with the Ottawa and Detroit back to back.

The only time in the schedule where the team could get gassed will be between November 28 and December 7. Otherwise the schedule is pretty well spaced out for us with two game and three game breaks common between one day breaks.

I like looking at the schedules based on who was a playoff team last year.

In October, we play five games against teams who made the playoffs out of 13 games.

In November we play nine games against teams who made the playoffs out of 14 games.

In December, we play three games against teams who made the playoffs out of 14 games.

In January, we play eight games against teams who made the playoffs out of 13 games.

In February, we play three games against teams who made the playoffs out of seven games.

In March, we play nine games against teams who made the playoffs out of 15 games.

In April, we play four games against teams who made the playoffs out of six games.

Teams have changed and all of that (plus nobody did out of conference match ups last season) but really there's no excuse on not having a strong December. New Jersey twice, Florida twice, games against Carolina and Tampa, we should be winning those games. November seems just as bad as March but we play some teams like Minnesota and Washington twice, which are not the same compared to playing Boston and Toronto twice.

Home/Away

October: Eight home games, five away games (includes a four game away stretch followed by a five game home stretch)

November: Seven home games, seven away games

December: Six home games, eight away games (includes a five game away stretch but it's spread between the 18th and 31st, six game if you count the Jan 2 Dallas game)

January: Six home games, seven away games(four game away stretch between Ottawa, Toronto, Pittsburgh and Detroit might be tough though includes three day break between Toronto and Pittsburgh games)

February: Four home games, two away games (all of the Western Conference games are at home)

March: Six home games, nine away games (see how this month sucks? At least the Colorado and Columbus games are at home)

April: Three home games, three away games (ending at home against New York is a change of pace)

We were a pretty balanced team when it came to home (14-7-3) and away (15-7-2) but of course it doesn't include the West. For everyone pessimistic about Detroit entering our division, don't forget that Tampa and Florida have entered our division. Looking at last year, this is a great thing. We were undefeated against the two Florida teams and it isn't like either team has made great strides to improve. Tampa replaced Lecavalier with Filppula while a rookie Drouin is likely to play. Their defence is exactly the same while they plan to platoon two huge unproven goaltenders. Florida lost Weiss and might be playing a really young team. They didn't really add anyone and will gamble Markstrom instead of going with Theodore again. Playing the odds game we should have a great record against them for eight games.

10 games between Ottawa and Toronto. We were 2-3 against the Leafs and 2-1-1 against the Senators. Those games, plus how well we do in December and how we survive March is going to decide our fate I feel. I think we're more than capable of nabbing a top three spot in the "Atlantic" division and not have to worry about fighting over the last two spots in the East.

Sam Gagner avoided arbitration today, signing a 3 year deal with a cap hit of $4.8M. The next big name yet to sign is Bryan Little who apparently is seeking $5.5M, while the Jets are coming in at $3.25. I know the player always shoots extra high and the team low to help shape a midpoint but is he even worth that? He's a ~45 point player, that's not worth something in the area of $4.5M on a one year deal.

Patrick Wiercioch gets a 3 year deal with a cap hit of $2M per year. He has 51 career NHL games in three pro seasons and gets that much? He had a good year last season point-wise but with their blueline now healthy, I'm not sure he'll get the chance to put up similar numbers and to guarantee that after one partial NHL season, they have to be expecting he can do something similar.

Our favorite, Scott Gomez, just signed a 1-year deal with the Florida Panthers worth $900K.

A part of me is kind of happy for Gomer, but then I remember Ryan McDonagh in New York.

At least his contract matches his contributions now.

Story: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428840 | $$ revealed by @RealKyper on Twitter.

here's a question. Why is scott gomez referred to primarily as "former Hab" I never see him as "former Ranger" or" fomer devil:. Scotty is a nice guy but hey do we have to live that contract down for time immemorial? For crying out loud he is a former shark.

Our favorite, Scott Gomez, just signed a 1-year deal with the Florida Panthers worth $900K.

A part of me is kind of happy for Gomer, but then I remember Ryan McDonagh in New York.

At least his contract matches his contributions now.

Story: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428840 | $$ revealed by @RealKyper on Twitter.

cap geek has him at 900 grand for 1 year.

here's a question. Why is scott gomez referred to primarily as "former Hab" I never see him as "former Ranger" or" fomer devil:. Scotty is a nice guy but hey do we have to live that contract down for time immemorial? For crying out loud he is a former shark.

I think it's because his Habs stint is the most recent and it was in Montreal where his career took a turn for the worst and his production plummeted. That and if the articles are written in Canada, chances are they go with a title that will attract the most attention.

Great, Gomez in our division. I dread the nights that he'll come back to haunt us on the scoresheet!

if the Panthers haunt us on the scoresheet, Gomez will be the least of our problems...

I think it's because his Habs stint is the most recent and it was in Montreal where his career took a turn for the worst and his production plummeted. That and if the articles are written in Canada, chances are they go with a title that will attract the most attention.

actually San Jose was his latest stint. But I agree, I think it is the torawnna news rags that want to keep reminding us we had THAT contract. :D

actually San Jose was his latest stint. But I agree, I think it is the torawnna news rags that want to keep reminding us we had THAT contract. :D

Not only TO media. Habsinsideout still monitors Gomez's every move with some sort of light-hearted masochism. I'm with Psycing, I don't have much against him now that he's long gone, except for the McDonagh factor.

Aaron Ward is reporting that Toni Lydman is probably going to retire.

He's turned down 2 separate contract offers for 2 years/5 million (doesn't say who the offers are from).

I know a couple people thought he might be a good fit in Montreal, but it appears unlikely to happen.

There are reports that Toronto is preparing to buyout J-M Liles in order to create enough cap space to re-sign Kadri and Franson. They have until Sunday morning to formally decide.

https://twitter.com/Berger_BYTES/status/363367784253628418

If true, the anti-Leafs thread will need a bump as instead of taking a cap hit of around $1.5 M for two years on Komisarek (it wouldn't be exactly that as salary didn't equal cap hit for what would have been this year's salary), they'll opt instead to take an average of a $1.3 M cap hit for six years on Liles. The smarter move would have been to compliance buyout Liles and use a regular buyout on Komisarek, not the other way around.

Liles' buyout cost in terms of cap hit, for anyone wondering:

2013-14: $875,000

2014-15: $875,000

2015-16: $2,375,000

2016-17: $1,250,000

2017-18: $1,250,000

2018-19: $1,250,000

Well it's done.

The Coyotes will remain in Arizona as the sale of the team to that Renaissance group has been finalised today.

There's an out clause after five years, just in time for Seattle and Quebec to have completed arenas and the NHL to make their considerations for expansion. In other words, the NHL might give expansion teams but they also have a chance to just relocate out of Arizona.

He's suited for an assisstant coach job. Will probably do well in Pittsburgh. He can hone their defensive game, but not have the final say so the team won't always be in a defensive shell. Really smart move by Pittsburgh imho.

He did well here, despite all the fan bitching, and is probably under-employed considering that his team was on the forefront of the shot-blocking/collapse-around-the-crease mode that has since become so popular; but since the general trend is toward hiring younger coaches, and since he suffers from the disadvantage of a boring media presence, this perhaps the best he could have hoped for under the circumstances.

Tomorrow is the signing deadline for graduating college players - if they don't sign by then, the team loses their rights. This applies to Dustin Walsh from the Habs but here's the full list for those interested (less those who have already signed minor league or European contracts).

Anaheim
Nick Pryor (7th round, 2008) Maine

Calgary
Nick Larson (4th round, 2008) Notre Dame

Chicago
Daniel Delisle (3rd round, 2009) Minnesota-Duluth
Joe Gleason (7th round, 2008) North Dakota

Columbus
Kevin Lynch (2nd round, 2009) Michigan

Edmonton
Lee Moffie (7th round, 2010) Michigan (Rights acquired from SJ)

Florida
Wade Megan (5th round, 2009) Boston University

Montreal
Dustin Walsh (6th round, 2009) Dartmouth

New York Islanders
Cody Rosen (G) (7th round, 2010) Clarkson

Vancouver
Jeremy Price (4th round, 2009) Colgate

Washington
Greg Burke (6th round, 2008) U. of New Hampshire
Brett Bruneteau (4th round, 2007) U. of Vermont
Brent Gwidt (6th round, 2006) U. of Nebraska-Omaha

Winnipeg
Vinny Saponari (4th round, 2008) Northeastern

In all likelihood, some of these players will sign minor league deals - I'm still holding out a little hope Walsh gets an AHL deal from the Habs. He has some skill and has produced relatively well when healthy (which isn't often, sadly). Of the others on the list, Saponari is probably worthy of a minor league deal as well but this is a lousy crowd of soon-to-be new UFA's.

What's up with Kevin Lynch ? A 2nd rounder who never panned out ?

Lots of 2nd rounders never pan out - most get signed but a lot don't pan out (look at Cory Urquhart). He had a decent year last season and probably will get a minor league deal but I'm sure the Jackets are kicking themselves for that selection.

Anyone else following the Alfredsson situation in Ottawa? Alfie blames Murray for not offering him fair value, Murray blames J.P Barry and according to Murray's account J.P. Barry blames Alfie for not being able to reach him.

I know we've had some pretty bad GM's, but Murray is a a new breed of douche as GM. Glad he's in Ottawa.