Jagr to Habs talk

Meller93

One of the reasons I'd want Jagr is that I think he would be a great role model for our young kids. Philly really missed him last year. Reportedly, everyone in Dallas loved him. I think he would be a great role model for Galy squared, Tinordi, Bealieau and others. The guy is a gym rat and plays hard all the time. That' the kind of role model a young team needs. Not aging players like Briere who weren't part of the solution in Philly. Reading reports from Philly, Briere just didn't just decline, but wasn't much of a leader and overall Philly lacked leadership.

He loves to gamble,party,spend money and have a good time. Why wouldn't everyone love him. He's a cool,fun guy. If that's your idea of a role model,cool,but it doesnt help with on ice performance. 0 goals in 22 playoff games,too tired/slow/old to even get back on defence. I wouldn't want him for minimum. He's just not that good.

Briere = not part of the solution in Philly.

Jagr = was loved in Dallas and helped them to the playoffs. Oh wait, that wasn't what happened. The truth is Dallas was well out of a playoff spot and so dumped him to Boston at the deadline where he went on to score 0 goals in 22 playoff games. Okay glad we cleared that up.

I wouldn't mind Jagr as 3rd line scoring depth, but the fact is we don't really have any empty roster spots. We would have to move someone, which isn't really worth it considering what we would be adding. To upgrade our current roster on wing, the first trade would obviously be Gionta, and I don't see Jagr as being an upgrade there.

I wouldn't mind Jagr as 3rd line scoring depth, but the fact is we don't really have any empty roster spots. We would have to move someone, which isn't really worth it considering what we would be adding. To upgrade our current roster on wing, the first trade would obviously be Gionta, and I don't see Jagr as being an upgrade there.

Once you remember that Briere has a concussion history and Gio has had two injury-ravaged seasons in a row, you see the wisdom of adding another RW. But I don't think it'll happen, so this is just tilting at windmills on my part.

Once you remember that Briere has a concussion history and Gio has had two injury-ravaged seasons in a row, you see the wisdom of adding another RW. But I don't think it'll happen, so this is just tilting at windmills on my part.

I'd rather see Leblanc with a chance.I saw something good in him when he first came up.Has good vision and plays solid two-way hockey. Briere/Jagr type acquisitions on a team like our just screams playing for the 8th seed again,and is definitely not staying the course that Bergevin said.

These kind of short term acquisitions are simply to help us improve a bit and get us over the next year or so until our drafted players can develop and be ready to step in. I really believe that this is MB plan. So I don't think his plan should be a cause for concern. Our future is bright and heading in the right direction.

• 4 months later...

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/jagr-fait-une-croix-sur-le-canadien-2122013

Jagr said today that he tried to join the Habs for the last 3 years and that he was the only one who was "ready to danse".

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/lnh/jagr-fait-une-croix-sur-le-canadien-2122013

Jagr said today that he tried to join the Habs for the last 3 years and that he was the only one who was "ready to danse".

I think there's a missing part to that quote...ready to dance...at the salary level he was commanding. This whole idea that he wants or wanted to be a Hab is nonsense - in his entire career, it has been about the money and only the money. If he really wanted to be a Hab (or join any other specific team), he'd have cut his demands a bit to make the other team 'ready to dance' instead of going to the highest bidder any and every time. There's nothing wrong with doing that either, but you don't get to criticize teams that don't sign you by alleging that you really wanted to play there.

• Upvote 1

I think there's a missing part to that quote...ready to dance...at the salary level he was commanding. This whole idea that he wants or wanted to be a Hab is nonsense - in his entire career, it has been about the money and only the money. If he really wanted to be a Hab (or join any other specific team), he'd have cut his demands a bit to make the other team 'ready to dance' instead of going to the highest bidder any and every time. There's nothing wrong with doing that either, but you don't get to criticize teams that don't sign you by alleging that you really wanted to play there.

I think we are paying more to Briere than Jagr is getting from NJD - or its about the same. I'd rather have taken Jagr.

I think we are paying more to Briere than Jagr is getting from NJD - or its about the same. I'd rather have taken Jagr.

A lot of that came to timing. The Habs were looking to make a move early, Jagr as always drew it out to try to up the bidding. In the end, he settled for less than what he was believed to be asking for at the beginning of free agency, an amount that was higher than what Montreal gave Briere.

A lot of that came to timing. The Habs were looking to make a move early, Jagr as always drew it out to try to up the bidding. In the end, he settled for less than what he was believed to be asking for at the beginning of free agency, an amount that was higher than what Montreal gave Briere.

Personally, I don't get the rush to sign Briere. This is not the same Briere who spurned us last time. I think they should have targeted Jagr. Last year I think he got around $3.5M, which too me is very reasonable considering the work ethic, dedication to fitness he would be able to be an example off.

On top of that he brings much needed size and can control the play along the boards.

Personally, I don't get the rush to sign Briere. This is not the same Briere who spurned us last time. I think they should have targeted Jagr. Last year I think he got around $3.5M, which too me is very reasonable considering the work ethic, dedication to fitness he would be able to be an example off.

On top of that he brings much needed size and can control the play along the boards.

He made $4.5 M last year and was looking to equal or exceed that at the outset of free agency. Considering they got Briere at 4, I'd presume that was about as high as they were willing to go for a free agent forward (honestly they couldn't afford much more, it's not as if the team has a ton of cap space).

He made $4.5 M last year and was looking to equal or exceed that at the outset of free agency. Considering they got Briere at 4, I'd presume that was about as high as they were willing to go for a free agent forward (honestly they couldn't afford much more, it's not as if the team has a ton of cap space).

I would have given him 4.5 instead of 4.5 for Briere. Again maybe we could have given him 2.5 to 3.0 plu big bonuses for goals assists etc. A little creativity maybe all that was needed.

I would have given him 4.5 instead of 4.5 for Briere. Again maybe we could have given him 2.5 to 3.0 plu big bonuses for goals assists etc. A little creativity maybe all that was needed.

Briere's getting 4, not 4.5. Yes, a bonus deal would have been a possibility but that just would have increased the overage (cap penalty) going into next year (and if the Habs want to add anyone between now and the deadline, there will be an overage). Boston and Detroit got heralded for their signings of Iginla and Alfredsson respectively but they'll pay for it on next year's cap.

Briere's getting 4, not 4.5. Yes, a bonus deal would have been a possibility but that just would have increased the overage (cap penalty) going into next year (and if the Habs want to add anyone between now and the deadline, there will be an overage). Boston and Detroit got heralded for their signings of Iginla and Alfredsson respectively but they'll pay for it on next year's cap.

I would still give 4.5 for Jagr over briere at 4. And as to the overage well, I heard a rumout the cap is going up next year. :)

Briere was signed before free agency even opened for most players (due to the buyout)

Jagr over Briere was a no-brainer given team needs. Bergevin was stupid not to at least work hard to try to make it happen. The end.

Since 2011-2012

Jagr: 18 points in 33 playoff games with only one goal (two post-seasons)

Briere: 13 points in 11 playoff games with eight goals (one post-season)

I know who I'd sign if my team needed more playoff production.

Since 2011-2012

Jagr: 18 points in 33 playoff games with only one goal (two post-seasons)

Briere: 13 points in 11 playoff games with eight goals (one post-season)

I know who I'd sign if my team needed more playoff production.

Yeah. Fernando Pisani.

• Upvote 1