2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

There's a lot of talk now that Nolan ingratiated himself with the owner and that that's how he got the job. If so, that's even more dire news for Sabres fans - pretty decisive proof you've got an inept, meddling owner, which to my mind is a fairly iron-clad guarantee that the franchise will stink for the long term. Which is fine by me, one more Conference rival the Habs don't have to worry about.

Jeffrey Loria sucked big time, yet the Marlins won 2 Championships under his reign.

Jeffrey Loria sucked big time, yet the Marlins won 2 Championships under his reign.

Only the 2003 title was under his reign, and that was his first year of ownership. The year ended with a huge firesale and they had a 100-loss season the year after a championship. So it's safe to say that Loria's suckitude hurt the team.

Only the 2003 title was under his reign, and that was his first year of ownership. The year ended with a huge firesale and they had a 100-loss season the year after a championship. So it's safe to say that Loria's suckitude hurt the team.

Okay. thought he was on board for #2 as well.

Kris Versteeg goes back to Chicago for prospects Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen. A few things worth noting: Florida is retaining 50% (max) of the salary/cap hit ($2.2 million) which isn't insignificant here either. Still, the two prospects they're getting have some upside; they're likely of the belief that it's better to pay some of the money for better talent instead of just shedding the contract. Phillipe Lefebvre, the former Montreal prospect, also goes to Chicago. This marks the second time in four months his inclusion has solely been for matching the number of contracts being traded.

Another trade today, the Leafs get prospect Peter Holland and Brad Staubitz for Jesse Blacker, a conditional 2nd or 3rd, and a 7th rounder. Holland was one of the guys I wanted the Habs to draft in the Leblanc draft (I think he may have been HW's pick in the mock that year, actually) but he went at 15th overall. This is the last year of his ELC though and he has yet to make it full time (boy, this sounds familiar). Just imagine if Toronto brings Staubitz up at some point, they could ice a line of him, Orr, and McLaren.

Vancouver waived Yannick Weber today. That didn't take too long; he mostly has played as a 4th line RW so far which is what he wanted to avoid when he signed there. A couple of teams could use D depth so maybe he gets picked up.

HabsWorld's calendar by Del and my pocket calendar from the Montreal Canadien both say that tomorrow's game starts at 5pm.

On NHL, they say 7pm.

What's up ?

Tomorrow's game in Washington is at 7 PM. Next Friday's game in Washington is at 5 PM.

It's Black Friday (the day after US Thanksgiving). Lots of people are off that day so they can have an earlier game.

Ok. I don't see the point of having the game at 5pm instead of 7pm, but hey...

Ok. I don't see the point of having the game at 5pm instead of 7pm, but hey...

Maybe there's a Wizards game that evening or earlier that afternoon or something.

5 is a weird time, I agree. They probably wanted a matinee for the holiday, but put it a bit later to accomodate Canadians who had to work.

Maybe there's a Wizards game that evening or earlier that afternoon or something.

5 is a weird time, I agree. They probably wanted a matinee for the holiday, but put it a bit later to accomodate Canadians who had to work.

But a matinee game would suck even more IMHO.

Anyway, I can't really complain since I finish job at 4h30, but I know a lot of people who won't be too pleased about that... Especially when there is a NJ-CAR game at 7pm this very same day...

Try and get more kids out to the game, maybe? It's a peculiar time though, that's for sure.

Yeah, maybe. Maybe if they were not having at least 5 other games at daytime during the season.

It just bothers Habs fans down here in Montreal/Quebec who don't have the day off. Bad call. But if they want to bother a fanbase, this is the one to bother... You know there won't be any trouble getting them back on the very next game...

Yeah, maybe. Maybe if they were not having at least 5 other games at daytime during the season.

It just bothers Habs fans down here in Montreal/Quebec who don't have the day off. Bad call. But if they want to bother a fanbase, this is the one to bother... You know there won't be any trouble getting them back on the very next game...

Why should Washington care about the Habs' fan base? They're going to schedule the game at a time that they feel is best for their fans, regardless of how it affects the opponent.

Why should Washington care about the Habs' fan base? They're going to schedule the game at a time that they feel is best for their fans, regardless of how it affects the opponent.

Not the Capitals, but the freaking NHL should care about all the fans equally. Don't you think ?

I would get it if it was a game between two teams from different time zone, but for 2 eastern time teams, I don't see a single reason why this game is not at 7pm.

Not the Capitals, but the freaking NHL should care about all the fans equally. Don't you think ?

I would get it if it was a game between two teams from different time zone, but for 2 eastern time teams, I don't see a single reason why this game is not at 7pm.

The leagues can't dictate time, the home team gets to (and networks too). In the NBA, the Raptors play a lot of Sunday afternoon home games, 1 PM starts. It's no coincidence that quite a few of those games are against Western teams who are playing at 10 AM local. There's nothing the NBA can do about it, I'm sure they're not happy that their fans are subject to watching their team play a 10 AM game...and that they have to see the hapless Raptors to boot. :)

Why, in past years, have the Habs often played 5 or 6 PM games around New Years in Florida? Simple, it's what the home team wanted. The NHL doesn't get to intervene and dictate start times. Montreal played a 3 PM weekday game in Philly a couple of years back, that's what the Flyers wanted so that's what they get. Look at the Super Bowl weekend games in Montreal, one of them is against Winnipeg, who is forced to play a noon local time game. I'm sure that's not ideal for them or their fans but it's the Habs' game, their choice.

Edit: Forget everything I just said, blame CSN Washington. The Caps play at 5, the Wizards at 8, that channel has both games. My guess is that they wanted the holiday doubleheader.

If anyone was curious about what some of the top salaries are in the KHL, here is an unofficial listing of the top-90. There's no salary disclosure like the NHL so these are based on agent reports, GM statements, etc. Salaries also exclude bonus (or under the table) payments.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sports.ru%2Fhockey%2F154502348.html&sandbox=1

Lots of former Habs in there (a quick count yielded 7). I found it particularly interesting to see Perezhogin near the top, no wonder he hasn't made any sort of attempt to come back in recent years (Montreal lost his rights a few years ago so he's now a UFA). Sergei Kostitsyn is also now the higher paid of the Kostitsyn brothers.

I hated losing Pererzhogin, who probably left because he got fed up with Carbo's bizarre attempts to turn him into a third-line checker. Looking at his KHL numbers, though, he never seems to have evolved into the top-6 forward I thought he could become. Oh, well, so much for my career as a scout.