2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Henrik Lundqvist gets a 7 year, $59.5 M extension (8.5 cap hit) from the Rangers. He'll be 32 when the extension kicks in. I know he's one of the top goalies and that the cap is due to jump but I find that cap hit and term to both be excessive.

Franchise goalie, won a Vezina. Consistency unrivaled in the league. To make an extra $1.25M or so from what he was already making? It's worth it.

Article I wrote on how Bruins fans need to start calling fellow fans out on racism directed toward Subban: http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/12/06/bruins-fans-need-to-stop-bruins-from-subban-racism/

Hard to figure out the negative reaction to article, but what can you do. Well done sir.

Hard to figure out the negative reaction to article, but what can you do. Well done sir.

Thank you.

The negativity is because I focused it on Boston.

For a lot of people, it's unfair journalism if you don't point out what everyone is doing wrong every time you point out one person doing something wrong.

My point wasn't even "Bruins fans are bad". It was that there are Bruins fans that are racist or sexist towards Subban and fellow Bruins fans are not calling them out. It makes everyone look bad. If I caught even one person, ONE PERSON on Twitter say, "Hey man, I don't like Subban but don't be a racist" I would have either not written the article or written the article to congratulate the person. Instead, all I saw were people saying, "Hey I hate Subban but I want to see him on Team Canada" when people talked about his skill. The only "Stop being racist" tweets to the racist posts were Habs fans to the Bruins fans.

Had I done what some of those replies wanted and pointed out Habs fans being terrible about Boychuk and such they'd still be unhappy because a Habs fan wrote about Bruins fans doing something wrong. But the whole point was to encourage Bruins fans to stand up for their own integrity. Not everyone hates Subban because he's black (which I even pointed out in the article). But it's time the ones who do get called out.

Thank you.

The negativity is because I focused it on Boston.

For a lot of people, it's unfair journalism if you don't point out what everyone is doing wrong every time you point out one person doing something wrong.

My point wasn't even "Bruins fans are bad". It was that there are Bruins fans that are racist or sexist towards Subban and fellow Bruins fans are not calling them out. It makes everyone look bad. If I caught even one person, ONE PERSON on Twitter say, "Hey man, I don't like Subban but don't be a racist" I would have either not written the article or written the article to congratulate the person. Instead, all I saw were people saying, "Hey I hate Subban but I want to see him on Team Canada" when people talked about his skill. The only "Stop being racist" tweets to the racist posts were Habs fans to the Bruins fans.

Had I done what some of those replies wanted and pointed out Habs fans being terrible about Boychuk and such they'd still be unhappy because a Habs fan wrote about Bruins fans doing something wrong. But the whole point was to encourage Bruins fans to stand up for their own integrity. Not everyone hates Subban because he's black (which I even pointed out in the article). But it's time the ones who do get called out.

Again I misworded and I know the point of view of negative responses, but anyone who simply tries to speak out against racism in any fashion, dosent need to justify anything more than that and I wouldn't lose sleep over petty responses, that's all.

Brian Burke fired Jay Feaster today. To some this may be a surprise but to me, the bigger surprise is that it took 30 games for him to make the move. What is surprising though is that Burke won't be the permanent replacement, just the interim one.

Brian Burke fired Jay Feaster today. To some this may be a surprise but to me, the bigger surprise is that it took 30 games for him to make the move. What is surprising though is that Burke won't be the permanent replacement, just the interim one.

The speculation on Joe Nieuwendyk getting the job is probably correct.

Ken King brought Burke in to fire Feaster imho, I don't think brian or jay knew that, maybe Jay could read the signs. But nope no suprice here, I said he would not make it to Christmas, and lo and behold he didn't. Now Burke will build the team the way he wants. Whoever he hires as GM will be in fact be a glorified Asst GM. Burkie likes to be top dog.

Linus Omark gets dealt to the Sabres for a conditional 2014 6th rounder. Buffalo now has Linus Omark and Linus Ullmark. Thankfully the latter is a goalie or that could have been a commentators' nightmare down the road.

That's a great trade for Buffalo, no?

It's a smart one, that's for sure. I think it could be a short-term move though. Hodgson went down tonight (again) and they don't want to weaken Rochester any more, especially with them heading over for the Spengler Cup on Monday. This could simply be a two week plug if Omark doesn't make an early impact.

Also, what a comeback for Philly tonight. They scored 5 third period goals including three unanswered in the final 4:39 to beat Columbus 5-4.

Fantastic actually, but I thought the same about Nikita Filatov to the Sens, so... could just be a good - loss cutting & asset retention move.

With full blackouts outside of the Quebec viewing region. Sucks for me (and quite a few others here too)...

This is sheer laziness on my part, but assuming that the dust has settled, would anyone care to summarize the Habs' viewing situation for those of us outside the Quebec viewing area next season? Should I cancel my RDS subscription, for instance? What do I need to do in order to max out Habs coverage for next year? (And don't say "NHL Centre Ice," I can't afford that).

This is sheer laziness on my part, but assuming that the dust has settled, would anyone care to summarize the Habs' viewing situation for those of us outside the Quebec viewing area next season? Should I cancel my RDS subscription, for instance? What do I need to do in order to max out Habs coverage for next year? (And don't say "NHL Centre Ice," I can't afford that).

Impossible to say until we know how many games Rogers wants to show. So far, all of their internal examples have CBC showing Canadiens games. Who knows how much that extends beyond Saturday.

Impossible to say until we know how many games Rogers wants to show. So far, all of their internal examples have CBC showing Canadiens games. Who knows how much that extends beyond Saturday.

The magic number appears to be 32 national English games, 22 on Saturday and 10 between Thursday/Sunday. The remaining 50 (regionals) - of which all won't be televised, they aren't now - is being bid on by TSN and Rogers.

If TSN gets them, anyone outside the viewing area is completely screwed. It's Centre Ice or bust (I know you said not to say that, CC, but that's the situation). If Rogers gets them, they'll be added to this proposed mini Centre Ice package, a Rogers-based setup that allows viewers to buy a monthly package that would 'unblock' the regional restrictions for all Canadian teams. Presumably, this would come in well under the cost of the Centre Ice package and would allow us non-Quebecers to at least see most of the games in English. Also presumably, it'll cost more than what you're paying for RDS now.

As to whether or not you should cancel RDS come next season, CC, the answer is yes. It's probably not even worth getting TVA Sports as their games will be among the 32 English ones. It's far from an ideal situation, that's for sure.

The magic number appears to be 32 national English games, 22 on Saturday and 10 between Thursday/Sunday. The remaining 50 (regionals) - of which all won't be televised, they aren't now - is being bid on by TSN and Rogers.

If TSN gets them, anyone outside the viewing area is completely screwed. It's Centre Ice or bust (I know you said not to say that, CC, but that's the situation). If Rogers gets them, they'll be added to this proposed mini Centre Ice package, a Rogers-based setup that allows viewers to buy a monthly package that would 'unblock' the regional restrictions for all Canadian teams. Presumably, this would come in well under the cost of the Centre Ice package and would allow us non-Quebecers to at least see most of the games in English. Also presumably, it'll cost more than what you're paying for RDS now.

As to whether or not you should cancel RDS come next season, CC, the answer is yes. It's probably not even worth getting TVA Sports as their games will be among the 32 English ones. It's far from an ideal situation, that's for sure.

Hey, thanks, Brian. So we're looking at 32 games plus an indeterminate number of additional games, depending on how it all goes down. On the one hand, we're still hanging, but on the other, at least there's still some hope. I don't mind getting less than 82 games (I miss a good chunk of them anyway due to other commitments), but 32 is pretty meagre fare. I also don't mind paying a bit more, just not too much.

If it does turn out to be hard to watch more than 32 games, that'll be some irony...just as the Habs become contenders, I won't be able to watch them regularly anymore, after 20 years of suffering. :wall: Figures.

Just a random thought regarding RDS next year - would Canadiens Express be subject to the blackout as well? Are TVA's national rights just for the live telecast? If not, it may be worth holding onto RDS to get the game in an hour the next day. Sure it's not the same as live but it might be better than nothing. So I'll retract my drop RDS answer for now, pending the answer to this (which may be hard to find).