2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Toronto sure knows how to train goalies on how to take a barrage of shots.

I had to skip Canuck game and watched 3rd period Oil game.

Fun to watch and pull for a twice tossed away goalie. At one point were goalie and 3 Oilers sprawled in Oil crease trying to block shots on PK.

San Jose tossed everything but kitchen sink at em.

Also that frickin line of Eberle-Hall-Hopkins is worth price of admission (and adding any one of them to Hab roster wouldn't hurt one bit)

I was at the Canucks-Chicago game last night. Hoo boy. To see a Hawks team that had been struggling simply turn on the jets and completely destroy the Canucks was quite a sight. Man, you've got a team that can ice an opening shift of

Hossa-Toews-Kane

Keith-Seabrook

Now THAT'S a Cup-worthy roster. None of this "oh, let's play mix and match with Lars Eller and Dany Briere" crap. Yeesh.

I was at the Canucks-Chicago game last night. Hoo boy. To see a Hawks team that had been struggling simply turn on the jets and completely destroy the Canucks was quite a sight. Man, you've got a team that can ice an opening shift of

Hossa-Toews-Kane

Keith-Seabrook

Now THAT'S a Cup-worthy roster. None of this "oh, let's play mix and match with Lars Eller and Dany Briere" crap. Yeesh.

Knuckleheads started off on fire, i went out and came back and 4-2 Hawks! Need Torts back! :)

I dunno, DON...the Canucks got a quick goal off the hop and then were dominated for all but the last two minutes of the first. The second-period evisceration was actually a logical continuation of the patterns of Period One, when Luongo stood on his head (despite now being blamed for the loss by the idiot fanbase). Fact is, the Canuckleheads were just outclassed. I do love Torts, though, and his return probably will help.

Wow... 5.9 million per year for Varlamov. The Price contract looks better and better with each goalie signed.

Wasn't it only a few weeks ago where Giguere was starting to wrestle starts away? That seems like a lot for Varlamov.

Wasn't it only a few weeks ago where Giguere was starting to wrestle starts away? That seems like a lot for Varlamov.

To be fair we are talking about a 25 year old goaltender compared to a 36 year old former starter and Conn Smythe trophy winner. Giguere is going to get some good games in and Varlamov is going to have his stumbles but that doesn't mean Varlamov isn't a goalie to build around.

With the cap inevitably going up, Price's contract was always going to look better and better. You'll be hardpressed to find a starting goalie in the league from now on that doesn't make at least $5.5M on a multi-year deal.

To be fair we are talking about a 25 year old goaltender compared to a 36 year old former starter and Conn Smythe trophy winner. Giguere is going to get some good games in and Varlamov is going to have his stumbles but that doesn't mean Varlamov isn't a goalie to build around.

With the cap inevitably going up, Price's contract was always going to look better and better. You'll be hardpressed to find a starting goalie in the league from now on that doesn't make at least $5.5M on a multi-year deal.

I know, I'm just not a big Varlamov fan in general. Plus, there are a lot of good goalies hitting the UFA market in the offseason (Miller, Elliott, Halak, Hiller, even Scrivens if he keeps up his strong play) but there won't be a ton of teams looking for #1's. I don't see the need for them to do this right now, I think had they waited they could have got him a bit cheaper or someone that might be a better goalie at a similar rate.

I was never all that impressed with Varlamov; nor am I sold yet on Colorado's new management with its bizarre two-headed managerial rookie mutant of Sakic + Roy. So I'll reserve judgement on this, but I think it quite possible this could prove to be a mistake.

But in terms of the big picture: when will people learn? The cap ALWAYS goes up. Signings are invariably met with gasps at the egregious "overpayment." And five years later, they look like a bargain, unless you're signing a guy on the downside of his career. Wait until we sign PK to massive numbers. Howls will be heard throughout Habsland. But by the end of the contract we'll be laughing at what a deal we got.

I was never all that impressed with Varlamov; nor am I sold yet on Colorado's new management with its bizarre two-headed managerial rookie mutant of Sakic + Roy. So I'll reserve judgement on this, but I think it quite possible this could prove to be a mistake.

But in terms of the big picture: when will people learn? The cap ALWAYS goes up. Signings are invariably met with gasps at the egregious "overpayment." And five years later, they look like a bargain, unless you're signing a guy on the downside of his career. Wait until we sign PK to massive numbers. Howls will be heard throughout Habsland. But by the end of the contract we'll be laughing at what a deal we got.

The best example of this were all of the people saying the Canucks spent too much on the Sedin's for $6.1M each in 2010.

I think the new Sedin contract could prove to be an error - Daniel Sedin looks like a shadow of himself and has for a while now. But the idea that there was ANY problem with their earlier contract was ludicrous from the get-go. I don't know what it is with those guys. They've been tremendous players for years and years and yet have received no end of scorn and fan contempt. I think it's yet another case where if their names were Stan and John MacKenzie from Powell River they'd be hailed as JUST AWESOME GREAT GUYS AND GREAT NHL STARS...but, you know, they're Swedish. And they're not tough guys like Lucic or dirty pukes like Marchand. So, obviously, that makes them "sisters." It's a mild version of the sort of double-standard crap that afflicts Subban for having the wrong pigmentation.

To be fair, certain players just attract the ire of fans. Sidney Crosby is constantly criticized for "whining to the referees" when he's doing nothing different than "captain of the people" Jonathan Toews. Lidstrom is treated like a god who has never made a defensive error in his career, which I can't think of any Canadian players who get that sort of god-status.

What's funny is I've talked to some older fans with good memories and Wayne Gretzky used to be criticized all the time for how he played becuase he was "too European". When he first got to the league he was sometimes touted as Canada's answer to the Russians, as if we built him in a lab to be a Russian hockey player from Ontario.

Canadians be crazy.

Kris Letang is out indefinitely with an undisclosed illness. When the 'good news' is that it's not life-threatening, you know he'll be out for a while.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=443206

It was a stroke.

Wow...Ca-schmucks blow yet ANOTHER third period lead. That team is, I think it's fair to say, in full-blown meltdown mode. Gillis has no choice but to dynamite the thing...except for the problem of those niggling little NTC clauses that he handed out like candy-canes back in the glory days. It'll be damned interesting to see what they do about this miss. Poor Torts, he deserves better than this crap.

Neech, I hear you, but I'm on the other end with Torts. I like the fact that he speaks his mind, wears his heart on his sleeve, and isn't one of these "generic," character-less NHL coaches. But I could see where some fans would take the opposite approach and hate his guts. Either way, it's no skin off my nose! I do enjoy following the hysteria of the Canucks' fan-base, however - it's amusing to track a team when you're not invested in it, the lunacy is so much easier to spot :nuts:

I like that he's in the league because he ups the entertainment quotient, but I would HATE for him to be hired by a team that I care about. A ticking time bomb with the media (and opposing coaches, apparently). Although players are apparently loyal to him, I bet his style wears pretty thin in less time than most coaches.

How do teams get seated for playoffs

Wildcards play the 2 division leaders I assume and the other 4 line up as per point ranking (TB vs Philly & Habs vs Rangers at present?)

How do teams get seated for playoffs

Wildcards play the 2 division leaders I assume and the other 4 line up as per point ranking (TB vs Philly & Habs vs Rangers at present?)

You're correct with the wildcard matchups, but the other two series are kept within the division, I believe. So at this point it'd be BOS/TOR, PIT/DET, TB/MTL and NYR/PHI.

You're correct with the wildcard matchups, but the other two series are kept within the division, I believe. So at this point it'd be BOS/TOR, PIT/DET, TB/MTL and NYR/PHI.

Thanks, I get it now.

I would not be scared to see Habs play Tampa, even with Stamkos back, would be sweet to see Habs sneek into 2nd round (I like putting cart before horse).