2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

ODDS and SODs--- Does Keenan get another kick at the cat? Where does Miller end up. My perception of Miller, and I still believe he is an elite goalie, for whatever reason seemed to be getting down too early. What does Muller do next year?

Torts was a class act in his public dealings in Vancouver. Tremendously forthcoming and insightful with the media, lots of honesty. I'm sorry to see him go from that point of view.

The most interesting thing I heard about his time in Van was that he wasn't, in fact, especially engaged. Apparently he used to drive in and out to Roger's Arena a lot rather than hanging around working.

So what we seem to have had here was the exact opposite of what I'd have expected: Torterella as agreeable media persona, but not especially hard-working or dedicated (!).

Anyway: the guy had a garbage line-up and I doubt anyone else could have done enormously better, but you can't re-hire a guy after a disastrous season like that, especially when you're gonna get a new GM who will (inevitably) want his own man on the job. The real lesson here is for ownership to stay the heck out of hockey operations - they saddled Gillis (and the team) with Torts's preposterous contract and are stuck paying him millions over the next four years. Dumb.

Kirk Muller and his staff get the axe. Not too surprising, and I'm hoping Kirk gets another job soon... I always thought that he did a great job in Montreal.

Kirk Muller and his staff get the axe. Not too surprising, and I'm hoping Kirk gets another job soon... I always thought that he did a great job in Montreal.

Yes, he was well thought of with Habs and his PP was darn good (if I remember correctly)

But, not French so too bad.

Peter Laviolette resurfaces as the new coach in Nashville, the first new coaching hire of the offseason. That's an interesting pickup, he'll push for more of an up-tempo style than we're using to seeing out of the Preds.

Poor Torts!

1 and done.

Looks good on him.

I am going to miss torts, he was such fun, he gave great interviews, (New York). There was always something going on. Some of the best laughs I have had are watching him deal with the media. Not so much in Van but hey that Calgary episode was a knee slapper eh?

I am going to miss torts, he was such fun, he gave great interviews, (New York). There was always something going on. Some of the best laughs I have had are watching him deal with the media. Not so much in Van but hey that Calgary episode was a knee slapper eh?

Don't think he was Linden-approved type of coach.

Ah... coaches are a dime a dozen and 99% get recycled over and over. :nuts:

• 3 weeks later...

Barry Trotz appears to be heading to Washington. This is interesting considering the fact that they don't have a GM at the moment.

Indeed.

Fist question of the GM's interview will be : What about working with Barry Trotz?

It sounds like tomorrow will be a big day for information regarding the new TV deal that kicks in next season. One of the announcements from Rogers will be that Dave Randorf, who called Montreal games on TSN-Habs, will be moving to Sportsnet as one of their national play-by-play guys. I wonder if we'll find anything out regarding the regional rights for Montreal's games (English) for next season as nothing has been announced yet on that front.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/tsn-dave-randorf-makes-end-zone-leap-rogers-215541744.html

Rogers is also expected to announce that Jim Hughson and Paul Romanuk (both were previously discussed somewhere in this thread) are also going to do PBP. Bob Cole will stay with the CBC but from the sounds of things will just be a Saturday guy.