2013-14 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Don Cherry's idiotic take on the Hertl goal: he's against it, of course. He cited the Rangers' family members' feelings after seeing Thornton and co. laughing at their expense. And he probably actually believes that they feel worse than people whose relative has been punched unconscious on the ice.

Kaleta gets 10 games for the following:

http://youtu.be/s9XKxjPjoOc?t=28s

I wonder if the NHLPA will exercise their right to appeal via an independent arbitrator (they get the option at 6+ game suspensions). There weren't really any opportunities for them to test the system last year.

No suspension for Lapierre yet (since it just happened) but I think there will be one for this hit as well:

ivUrD7rKfsLJR.gif

Lapierre gets 5. Cody McLeod also was offered an in-person hearing for his hit on Kronwall last night. I didn't think his was quite as bad as the other recent ones, I was a bit surprised that the league set it up to have the option to go 6+.

Talking about the Habs being in the most violent division of the NHL...

http://www.hockeyfights.com/leaders/teams/

Antoine Roussel had 3 very good scraps while Jamie Benn, also from Dallas, fought François Beauchemin in a good one where both coaches must have been nervous.

Brainiac Pierre McQuire has declared MacKinnon or Jones as calder winner!

What a prognostication!

I think i can do the same and predict LeBron or Kevin Durant win NBA MVP.

Monahan, Hertl, Barkov, Trouba, Arcobello, Nieto or some other rookie may still have a shot at rookie of year, seeing as there is still a little bit of season left to play.

Jones is probably going to win. Already looks like a top four D in Nashville. That said Hertl can play all zones and Monahan is the best player in Calgary already. I think that's the real top three. Mackinnon and Barkov look excellent but they are also being carried a bit.

Jones is probably going to win. Already looks like a top four D in Nashville. That said Hertl can play all zones and Monahan is the best player in Calgary already. I think that's the real top three. Mackinnon and Barkov look excellent but they are also being carried a bit.

It is WAAAAY too early to proclaim a winner. Any of the names you just stated can suffer a season-ending injury on next game.

Let's wait for at least March to proclaim a real winner.

It is WAAAAY too early to proclaim a winner. Any of the names you just stated can suffer a season-ending injury on next game.

Let's wait for at least March to proclaim a real winner.

Sure. Hertl has Tarasenko written all over him with players targeting him. That said, even if Seth Jones doesn't win he'll probably end up the best player in his draft class.

Sure. Hertl has Tarasenko written all over him with players targeting him. That said, even if Seth Jones doesn't win he'll probably end up the best player in his draft class.

Imagine the Preds... Fawk, we just lost Suter on UFA market. BOOM Seth Jones slides to 4th oa !!!!!!!!

It didn't take long for the league to go back to the 5-game suspensions despite calling the in-person hearings (5 games means the appeal is to Shanahan). I have to wonder if Kaleta's appeal has left him a bit gun shy until they see how the process plays itself out.

There was another John Scott incident last night against the Bruins. He didn't get anything in the mix-up with Kessel in the preseason, something tells me that won't be the case this time. How long will he get? Keep in mind he's somehow not a repeat offender.

I usually love Pierre, but that was NOT a late hit at all. Had he not hit Erikson in the head, that would have been one of those brilliant but brutal centre ice massacres that everyone loves so much. However he'll be suspended because of the "principal point of contact" for sure. The fact he "extended" after the hit is just another ridiculous comment since just about every hit of that nature has some kind of follow through.

Yeah, for me, not nearly so bad as it's made out to be. Shame Erikson wasn't hit in the chest and not the head - that's the problem. I don't see as Scott was headhunting; he went for an open ice crush and hit head first.

Now, since it's Harry Sinden's team, I can see this being 10 games and the interpretation being something like a late hit and head targeting. But had we seen that exact play with, say Chara on someone a little shorter, I wonder whether we're having the same discussion.

Once again, just another incident where the NHL is proving itself farcical. Penalties are not consistent and depend largely on the teams and players in question.

Oh, but Chara is a "good guy." Being a "good guy" exempts you from NHL discipline because you didn't "intend" to kill the person.

I think I'll try that in the justice system...run over Chara with an 12-wheeler, then say I'm a "good guy" who didn't "intend" to drive recklessly. Maybe they'll do like the NHL and reward me with a Stanley Cup.

I usually love Pierre, but that was NOT a late hit at all. Had he not hit Erikson in the head, that would have been one of those brilliant but brutal centre ice massacres that everyone loves so much. However he'll be suspended because of the "principal point of contact" for sure. The fact he "extended" after the hit is just another ridiculous comment since just about every hit of that nature has some kind of follow through.

Yeah, for me, not nearly so bad as it's made out to be. Shame Erikson wasn't hit in the chest and not the head - that's the problem. I don't see as Scott was headhunting; he went for an open ice crush and hit head first.

Now, since it's Harry Sinden's team, I can see this being 10 games and the interpretation being something like a late hit and head targeting. But had we seen that exact play with, say Chara on someone a little shorter, I wonder whether we're having the same discussion.

Once again, just another incident where the NHL is proving itself farcical. Penalties are not consistent and depend largely on the teams and players in question.

I agree, not nearly as bad as made out to be. I don't buy the blindsided either.

We have our first real trade of the year and it's a doozy, Thomas Vanek to the Islanders. Going to Buffalo are Matt Moulson, NYI's 1st this year, and their 2nd in 2015. If Vanek and Tavares can get going like they're capable, they could be one of the most lethal 1-2 duos in the NHL.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres traded Moulson for a 1st+ later in the season. They're rebuilding the right way.

Are the Islanders going to re-sign Vanek? Because if not then this is a short-sighted trade. Sure, they might get fireworks for a year, but they're not at the stage to be trading top picks to put themselves over the top.