When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Hal Gill is now retired! Even he could come up with a better PP! And steer d-core better (not that JJD is a obvious fire but).

I think Hal Gill will make a hell of a coach someday. Even if he can't fight his way out of a wet paper bag he is still too big to argue with.

I think Hal Gill will make a hell of a coach someday. Even if he can't fight his way out of a wet paper bag he is still too big to argue with.

Only thing is he loathes Therrien.

Gill does seem like a student of the game. Also I feel his positive outlook would suit him well for an assistants role.

Gill won a Cup in Pittsburgh and he's a Mass kid. I don't see him coaching in Montreal unless other places he'd prefer to go said no. I loved big Hal but the fact he had a few good years means little. Doug Gilmour had a few good years here too. You don't see him making visits.

Only thing is he loathes Therrien.

Gill does seem like a student of the game. Also I feel his positive outlook would suit him well for an assistants role.

Good point I forgot that he hates Le genius. Of course how would that be different than the players? :)

They did a poll on HIO " do you trust Therrien as the coach?

Interestingly 56% voted NO.

two weeks ago that poll would've been 79% yes though...peaks and valleys folks

That's very true IW77.

82 games is a long time and if these are the low times for Montreal then I can't imagine how great the peaks can be.

i could try cheerleading but i gave up on that long ago.

thanks for the input though.

liked you take on the rangers series.

but i tend to agree with with chris nilan and guy lafluer ....... out coached. not ready to play game one. no adjustments made in game 6" totally winnable series after beating bruins.

i dont deny i am on the negative side. hate being right in this case ha! or did you not watch the last 5 games.

i'll tone it down none the less

cheers

Reality check:

Knuckles and the Flower aren't the best company. As entertaining/insightful as Nilan can be when it comes to talk about being a player, he was a tremendous failure as a coach.

So what has Dan Lacroix brought to the table?

Reality check:

Knuckles and the Flower aren't the best company. As entertaining/insightful as Nilan can be when it comes to talk about being a player, he was a tremendous failure as a coach.

So what has Dan Lacroix brought to the table?

you mean assistant coach dont you

and yes he is quite insightful on radio. did he replace therrien on the montreal radio station?

I love Knuckles and (of course) Lafleur is God, but yeah, neither is especially known for their cerebral mastery of the intricacies of the game.

The thing is, while we can gripe about this or that specific decision, in terms of the big pictue we can't simultaneously argue that the Habs are a mediocre team and that MT is a bad coach. This team handily made the playoffs both seasons under Therrien and went to the semi-finals last year. So I see three logically defensible possibilities:

1. We are a top-end, contending team in terms of talent, being held back by Therrien.

2. We are a mediocre squad being elevated by Therrien's excellent coaching.

3. Therrien's coaching has been, at worst, good enough to allow the team to reach the level its talent dictates.

(3) seems pretty obviously the accurate choice. Until someone can show that the Habs under Therrien have under-performed relative to their talent, the whole idea that Therrien is a big problem makes no sense.

My favourite is the complaint that young kids don't develop under Therrien.

"But Sidney Crosby credits him for his..."

THAT'S SID HE'D ALWAYS BE GREAT!

"But Gallagher was nominated for rookie of the year and Galchenyuk has been developing..."

GALCHENYUK ISN'T A CENTER YET AND GALLAGHER ISN'T THEOREN FLEURY SO NOPE!

"Eller had his best season under Therrien..."

BUT HE DOESN'T PUT HIM WITH THE BEST WINGERS LIKE HE DOES WITH DESHARNAIS SO THAT'S NOT GOOD FOR HIS DEVELOPMENT!

"But Subban won a Norris under him!"

SUBBAN WASN'T GIVEN 30 MINUTES IMMEDIATELY AND I CONSIDER NOT PLAYING SUBBAN ON THE PK TO BE A BAD THING BECAUSE OTHER FANS SAY SUBBAN NOT PLAYING PK MAKES HIM A SHELTERED PLAYER AND I WANT SUBBAN TO DO EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME!

Basically, the complaint of players developing under Therrien doesn't take into account the player themselves having to elevate their game so anyone who stumbles in a young career is Therrien's fault while any young player who excels under Therrien is either not excelling enough or was always going to excel regardless of Therrien.

I love Knuckles and (of course) Lafleur is God, but yeah, neither is especially known for their cerebral mastery of the intricacies of the game.

The thing is, while we can gripe about this or that specific decision, in terms of the big pictue we can't simultaneously argue that the Habs are a mediocre team and that MT is a bad coach. This team handily made the playoffs both seasons under Therrien and went to the semi-finals last year. So I see three logically defensible possibilities:

1. We are a top-end, contending team in terms of talent, being held back by Therrien.

2. We are a mediocre squad being elevated by Therrien's excellent coaching.

3. Therrien's coaching has been, at worst, good enough to allow the team to reach the level its talent dictates.

(3) seems pretty obviously the accurate choice. Until someone can show that the Habs under Therrien have under-performed relative to their talent, the whole idea that Therrien is a big problem makes no sense.

3. not bad.

4. there are no coaches out there that speak both languages. the pool to draw on for montreal is the smallest coaching pool in all of sports. so habs have to settle.

My favourite is the complaint that young kids don't develop under Therrien.

"But Sidney Crosby credits him for his..."

THAT'S SID HE'D ALWAYS BE GREAT!

"But Gallagher was nominated for rookie of the year and Galchenyuk has been developing..."

GALCHENYUK ISN'T A CENTER YET AND GALLAGHER ISN'T THEOREN FLEURY SO NOPE!

"Eller had his best season under Therrien..."

BUT HE DOESN'T PUT HIM WITH THE BEST WINGERS LIKE HE DOES WITH DESHARNAIS SO THAT'S NOT GOOD FOR HIS DEVELOPMENT!

"But Subban won a Norris under him!"

SUBBAN WASN'T GIVEN 30 MINUTES IMMEDIATELY AND I CONSIDER NOT PLAYING SUBBAN ON THE PK TO BE A BAD THING BECAUSE OTHER FANS SAY SUBBAN NOT PLAYING PK MAKES HIM A SHELTERED PLAYER AND I WANT SUBBAN TO DO EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME!

Basically, the complaint of players developing under Therrien doesn't take into account the player themselves having to elevate their game so anyone who stumbles in a young career is Therrien's fault while any young player who excels under Therrien is either not excelling enough or was always going to excel regardless of Therrien.

I like ottawa approach to young defenceman (and other team as well but will use ottawa as an example) The struggles the sens young d occurred last year have them in excellant position this season. Montreal exact opposite , just keep buying old band aids for 1 to 2 years at a time. Thats not therriens fault but he is the perfect coach for it.

BTW...... hope the kids on d get some real playing time...............because someone will have to pick up the slack when markov is out of gas.

Ottawa has also done absolutely nothing to improve Karlsson's defensive coverage and he'll likely go his entire career inept at the position, eventually devolving into a Tomas Kaberle type player once the injuries pile up.

could be. it was the other new young d that i'm told and witnessed that look pretty good going forward for the sens.

kabby reference a bit of an over statement.............dont remember kabby winning norris trophies or leading all d in points while still getting hiss feet wet in the nhl. but agree with you that he is all offense little defence

might check out the dogs game tonight. see who they sent down this week. tinodri i think.

dogs powerplay one of the worst in the league....for three season.

where is captain kirk these days?

what happens first ? sens teach karlsson to play d at nhl level?

habs teach galchenyuk to play center at nhl level?

where is captain kirk these days?

what happens first ? sens teach karlsson to play d at nhl level?

habs teach galchenyuk to play center at nhl level?

Muller's an assistant with St. Louis now. As for what happens first, I'm not sure the first one ever happens so by default, Galchenyuk at C in the NHL is most likely for me.

you mean assistant coach dont you

and yes he is quite insightful on radio. did he replace therrien on the montreal radio station?

Nilan was the head coach of an the Chesepeake Icebreakers after he coached a single season with NJ.

could be. it was the other new young d that i'm told and witnessed that look pretty good going forward for the sens.

Who looks good? Borowiecki, the AHL goon? Or Patrick Wiercoch, who's been a healthy scratch 29 times? Or Cowan, who's another problem player? Or Gryba, one of the worst defensemen in the league?

Nilan was the head coach of an the Chesepeake Icebreakers after he coached a single season with NJ.

Who looks good? Borowiecki, the AHL goon? Or Patrick Wiercoch, who's been a healthy scratch 29 times? Or Cowan, who's another problem player? Or Gryba, one of the worst defensemen in the league?

guess it was just a good couple of games. watched them play a few games and they looked good and physical. i stand corrected.

and i meant as opposed to signing band aids for 1-2 years instead of letting the prospects play........ guys like weaver 13g 0g 1a -6 ..... or gilbert who leads the nhl in give aways. just saying. i would rather see bealieu and tinordi get on with there careers and play every night. they are as good now or better with out the experience as gilbert and weaver are with it. and dont gimme the crap about mistakes............like gilbert and weaver dont make a lions share of them.

NO Gilbert does not lead in giveaways, is Brent Burns/Karlsson/Spezza and others (whom he has 2X blocked shots than all of em)

Complaining about Weaver's point total? you are too funny.

If only he would break out of his scoring slump, will make a big difference.

and i meant as opposed to signing band aids for 1-2 years instead of letting the prospects play........ guys like weaver 13g 0g 1a -6 ..... or gilbert who leads the nhl in give aways. just saying. i would rather see bealieu and tinordi get on with there careers and play every night. they are as good now or better with out the experience as gilbert and weaver are with it. and dont gimme the crap about mistakes............like gilbert and weaver dont make a lions share of them.

I agree with you there. The cat's out of the bag. It would hard, imo, to justify sitting 24/28 for Douglas Murray and Francis Bouillon in the name of development just to change their tack and give them all the leeway in the world. I was heavily in support of playing Tinordi instead of Murray last year.

NO Gilbert does not lead in giveaways, is Brent Burns/Karlsson/Spezza and others (whom he has 2X blocked shots than all of em)

Complaining about Weaver's point total? you are too funny.

If only he would break out of his scoring slump, will make a big difference.

No complaints on his offense.....just pointing that he brings very little (to all areas of the game) and i would rather see a future hab getting the experience. you telling me you are a weaver fan?....... cast off from florida, aging. small non physical defenseman with absolutely no offence in his game, and very llittle d. Too boot he is given the load of playing with the two rookies. imo he basically sucks