When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Guest Stogey24

Subban and Bouillon had each had 26 shifts in the game, and Murray was low man on the defensive totem poll with 23. Gorges and Diaz each played 36 shifts, and Markov played 35. Subban needs to be playing more than 20 minutes against the Blues. Therrien is trying to prove a point and it's costing us games.

Subban and Bouillon had each had 26 shifts in the game, and Murray was low man on the defensive totem poll with 23. Gorges and Diaz each played 36 shifts, and Markov played 35. Subban needs to be playing more than 20 minutes against the Blues. Therrien is trying to prove a point and it's costing us games.

First, this is the best argument of the bunch. By a mile.

Second, I can accept MT playing Markov more because of the experience factor and the fact that, had it not been for a few disastrous injuries, Markov probably had a more than reasonable chance of winning a Norris. Gorges I can see playing more from time to time because his kind of defence is different from that of Subban, and sometimes you need to go with the horse that suits the race. But Diaz? Really? And only 3 more shifts than Murray?

Of course, the caveat to that is the consideration that his two minute shift is actually closer to three full shifts. So, you know, there's that.

Guest Stogey24

First, this is the best argument of the bunch. By a mile.

Second, I can accept MT playing Markov more because of the experience factor and the fact that, had it not been for a few disastrous injuries, Markov probably had a more than reasonable chance of winning a Norris. Gorges I can see playing more from time to time because his kind of defence is different from that of Subban, and sometimes you need to go with the horse that suits the race. But Diaz? Really? And only 3 more shifts than Murray?

Of course, the caveat to that is the consideration that his two minute shift is actually closer to three full shifts. So, you know, there's that.

Yup, all is true

I'd say about the same time JMMR and a few others get banned from here for calling him out in the thread. Therien is not Trembley and PK is not Roy. We are one month in, it is November. We are just getting over an injury hump, teams always lose when key players return from injury. Get over it.

On a side note, The Leafs lost, it is November, they will continue to lose.

So you think he'll coach forever?

I'm sympathetic towards MT and his approaches to PK. I know what its like to be immensely talented, good looking, rich and popular at a young age... and later.. and sometimes someone , somewhere, somehow has to step in lest my innate magnificence lift me to heights where the air is too thin.

I'm still hoping to get the call if PK can't play some night...

• 11 months later...

Anyone else kind of hoping the Habs get dominated the next two games and Therrien gets sacked?

Therrien's signed for four more years guaranteed (this year plus three guaranteed on the extension) and the Habs are high in the standings despite not playing well. He's not going anywhere anytime soon.

I dont think mt should be fired over this pk incident. Subban will be playing great for the canadiens long after Therrien is back cutting up the habs on the radio. (where he was for years cutting up martin and co)

No therrien should not be fired over this................he should be fired for the reasons he was fired in montreal and pittsburg in the past........because there are far better coaches.

Wont bet on when he will get axed................but you can bet your house on this.........it will be his last head coaching job in the NHL. None of the other 29 teams care that he speaks two languages.

What PK incident is that - ?

MT is a loooooong way from being fired, and it has to do with results, not contract. He just coached the team to the semi-finals and a red-hot start; now the team has tipped over into a 1-3 stretch. Firing the guy would be absolutely moronic, the act of an amateur, bush-league organization.

If we're still playing like this in February, that might be another story.

All the b*tching is the same old tiresome stuff. "He mixes up his lines." Yep, and so did his predecessor, and so will his successor, and so does every other damned coach in the entire NHL. That is simply not a valid criticism. It's dumb. "He doesn't play young players enough." Sure, because young players are ALWAYS automatically ready to play 25 minutes a night. Please. As for whether he knows how to develop young players, the jury is still out. But Galy seems to be taking a step forward and Subban won the Norris under him. Prima facie, he is doing OK.

Here's another thought. Have Therrien's Habs under-performed relative to their talent? Can you really say that? So, the argument is that this team is a sure-fire Cup winner being held down by a bad coach? Really?

Now Lord knows I am not MT's biggest fan. In fact, when he was hired I predicted that the team would tune him out in Year Three (which is where we are). But there is simply no ground for firing him right now or any time soon.

And incidentally, if MT could get hired by the Penguins after that debacle that was his first tenure in Montreal - and get hired years before the estimable Alain Vigenault, which I always found incomprehensible - he will be able to get another gig after leading this team to strong regular season and playoff results.

• Upvote 2

MT is a loooooong way from being fired, and it has to do with results, not contract. He just coached the team to the semi-finals and a red-hot start; now the team has tipped over into a 1-3 stretch. Firing the guy would be absolutely moronic, the act of an amateur, bush-league organization.

All the b*tching is the same old tiresome stuff. "He mixes up his lines." Yep, and so did his predecessor, and so will his successor, and so does every other damned coach in the entire NHL. That is simply not a valid criticism. It's dumb. "He doesn't play young players enough." Sure, because young players are ALWAYS automatically ready to play 25 minutes a night. Please. As for whether he knows how to develop young players, the jury is still out. But Galy seems to be taking a step forward and Subban won the Norris under him. Prima facie, he is doing OK.

Here's another thought. Have Therrien's Habs under-performed relative to their talent? Can you really say that? So, the argument is that this team is a sure-fire Cup winner being held down by a bad coach? Really?

Now Lord knows I am not MT's biggest fan. In fact, when he was hired I predicted that the team would tune him out in Year Three (which is where we are). But there is simply no ground for firing him right now or any time soon.

And incidentally, if MT could get hired by the Penguins after that debacle that was his first tenure in Montreal - and get hired years before the estimable Alain Vigenault, which I always found incomprehensible - he will be able to get another gig after leading this team to strong regular season and playoff results.

Martin coached the team to the semi finals too........where is he now? No is not likely getting fired soon. But he will get axed long before his 4 year deal is up. He aint good enough to coach a team for six years.

and my crystal ball says the habs will never get farther under him than they did last year. tbay stunk had no goalie, boston choked, rangers clobbered us. YAY !

injury riddled calgary flames dominated the habs for 6 straight periods.

actually made them look down right foolish for the last 3 in montreal.

thats concerning

btw.............what they did last year means nothing now

injury riddled calgary flames dominated the habs for 6 straight periods.

actually made them look down right foolish for the last 3 in montreal.

thats concerning

btw.............what they did last year means nothing now

What they did last playoff means 10X more than two games in fall. As an argument for firing a coach, that is a new low in ridiculous.

Wow who dug this old chestnut out? We had some fun with it last year, maybe it still has some legs. I don't like MT as coach but he has gotten results. Or at least he gets credit for getting results doing some very (how do you say stupid nicely) oh yeah incomprehensible tactics. He is not going to get fired any time soon and if he does he could could give a crap. Lots of bucks in that new contract. But I see what Hartley has done in Calgary and wonder what if? I think if I remember right he turned us down. Or something like that. Did we make the right choice? Doesn't look like it right now. But hey Vive Le Genius, he will lead us through the darkness.

• Upvote 1

I dont think mt should be fired over this pk incident. Subban will be playing great for the canadiens long after Therrien is back cutting up the habs on the radio. (where he was for years cutting up martin and co)

No therrien should not be fired over this................he should be fired for the reasons he was fired in montreal and pittsburg in the past........because there are far better coaches.

Wont bet on when he will get axed................but you can bet your house on this.........it will be his last head coaching job in the NHL. None of the other 29 teams care that he speaks two languages.

what PK incident. Been stuck at the office, not wure what is being referred to?

Who started this foolish thread again? Chicken Little or Eeyore? :angry2:

well originally I started it but I don't know who revived it it. Le Genius rules. or something like that.

Thank you!

Couldn't have said that better....and totally agree,

MT can't win puck battles either, and that's the Habs main problem in this mini skid, getting to the puck first and doing something with it has little to do with the coach.

My only real complaint so far with MT is leaving Price in for 6 or 7 against when the team doesn't show up....

What they did last playoff means 10X more than two games in fall. As an argument for firing a coach, that is a new low in ridiculous.

i am not saying the coach will get fired.

i have not stated that he should be after those two games.

what i have believed from the day he was hired is that the team will never win four rounds with him.

therrien falls in the same category as Ron Wilson. Average coach at best. will never win a cup not the best guy what so ever to work with young players.

oh i know.............."but the habs won two rounds last year" he should get coach of the year! lol

If getting to the semi finals means so much Martin would still be coaching the habs. He coached a team led by Scott gomez, Hal gill and halak as far as Therrien took these guys last year.

But Martin is gone because the 010 two round play off wins meant nothing when the team could not keep it up.

Stay tuned. Same show playing again.

But hey, they could both press conferences in two languages.