Louis Leblanc: Ready and Waiting for His Chance

Commandant

After a terrible 2012-13, Leblanc has bounced back and been Hamilton's most consistent forward this year. He's leading the team in goals, and is also playing effective two-way hockey in a shutdown role. Is it time to give him a chance with the big club?

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/12/30/habs-fans-shouldnt-sleep-on-louis-leblanc/

I would.

The problem is where do you play him? I'm not the biggest MT fan, MT is a good coach, however I don't understand what his lines are supposed to be?

He doesn't have a scoring line, he doesn't have a shut down line that I can tell. Maybe Pleks Gionta, but your paying that line with Bourque 15 mill this year, you need some offense from that.

I do like the 4th line.

Cripes, yes. That's why you have young players. Trade Bourque at the deadline to some dumbass team horny for size, then bring up Leblanc. Bourque looked good for us last season but it has become crashingly apparent he amped it up only to save his career. He's a "money" player in the negative sense that he plays purely for a paycheque - just as Habs29 always said. But some deadline team will happily scoop him up, because idiocy reigns at the deadline. Meanwhile you give Leblanc further seasoning so that he is ready for a bottom-six role for us next year, when the quest for Cup contention in the Bergevin era really begins.

The thing about Leblanc is I feel aside from when recovering from his injury, he has been ready for a third line role with us. He looked good in his limited stints this season and looked solid defensively for a rookie on a bad team in 11-12. He even logged 16 minutes against Minnesota (though Therrien winded his ice time down after that in the St. Louis and Colorado games).

I think a Bournival - Eller - Leblanc third line would look good and be a set, defined third line.

Sorry to say but no,

Blunden or Dumont would be better call ups for bottom six, if you are planning on wins now and not looking to next few years (where Blunden/Dumont will likely both be gone to another AHL team).

And for scoring call up, Andrighetto or St.Pierre (Thomas if he ever gets healthy enough) would likely be better options.

Dumont, Angrighetto, St. Pierre, Thomas, would be just another small forward.

As for Blunden.... Leblanc is outplaying him by miles. Leblanc has been Hamilton's best forward.... leading the team in goals and playing strong in both ends in tough matchups.

As for Blunden.... Leblanc is outplaying him by miles. Leblanc has been Hamilton's best forward.... leading the team in goals and playing strong in both ends in tough matchups.

And if anyone looks at who his linemates are, they'd see he's scoring without any assistance.

As I said in a different thread, you have to make some of your own opportunities. That's Leblanc.

Abslolutely.

What worked on this team last year was the culture of competition for minutes and lineup spots. I think that despite the benchings this year, there's not any internal competition, and Therrien is falling into the JM trap, at least on the powerplay.

Gionta and Bourque were on the first wave of a powerplay last night, why?

The team (coach management) do not seem overly hepped up about Leblanc, and I don't know why. When I have seen him play he has looked pretty good, a very limited view, but i think you have to give him a shot at the big time. Or quit wasting his time and trade him for something good.

Another relatively small softish forward is what Leblanc is as well, no?

Dumont is smaller but tougher/more grit than Pacioretty, Bourque and many other Habs..

Blunden is a solid checker and as far as outplaying him by miles? Don't see it that way, same points in fewer games (and Blunden cant score a lick in NHL), a better +/-, much bigger, more experienced, hard worker game in and out, defends against top AHL opposition and plays key situations.

Also, how much has Bournival been playing lately? You really want Leblanc to join him in pressbox or stapled to the bench?

Why now, wouldn't LL be better playing AHL till injuries force their hand, same as Pateryn/Tinordi? Or at least until LL is a "stand out" in minors.

Guest Stogey24

Wow, Blunden over Leblanc? Blunden is a born AHL'er. He's a good team player, but for the 6 games he was up this year, he looked lost out there. Leblanc is a first rounder who is playing well. He'll get the call shortly.

Guest Stogey24

Dumont being tougher/grittier than Pacioretty. I've now heard it all.

Dumont is Desharnais in 2010 with half the talent.

lol, head scratcher for sure.

Wow, Blunden over Leblanc? Blunden is a born AHL'er. He's a good team player, but for the 6 games he was up this year, he looked lost out there. Leblanc is a first rounder who is playing well. He'll get the call shortly.

The logic behind that would be if the Habs are planning to sit whoever is called up more often than not. If Leblanc (or whomever) was likely to only play one or two games out of five, you're probably better off with Blunden so that your legit prospect (Leblanc) is playing regularly.

Leblanc has worked hard in the off season and worked hard on the ice this year in Hamilton, and deserves a chance for a call up. I really think that he would at least work hard and bring some fire to the rest of the forwards, and maybe make them realize no spot is safe, at least if the MT speech about earning your ice time was true. With Bournival not getting much of a chance right now, I don't see a spot for Leblanc, without a trade or some injury trouble.

I think he can be a decent two way player in the NHL, when/if he gets the chance.

Guest Stogey24

The logic behind that would be if the Habs are planning to sit whoever is called up more often than not. If Leblanc (or whomever) was likely to only play one or two games out of five, you're probably better off with Blunden so that your legit prospect (Leblanc) is playing regularly.

Leblanc will be given a chance to play (pending a call up), just as Bournival was. Bournival is in the press box because be became a liability out there. He had some major defensive lapses. If there was ever a time to shake things up and bring a kid up that's suppose to be your top offensive prospect, now is the time.

Due to the cap and roster space there really isn't room for Leblanc right now. But its nice to know that he's ready if we do get some injuries in the second half.

I'd like to see him get some time, cause I think he'll be a regular next season.

Leblanc isn't ready to be brought up and throw into the fire... especially when the Habs are searching for scoring. Leblanc isn't the answer to that question and it will only put undue pressure on him. Sven A (hah!) and Christian Thomas are both natural goal scorers. If the habs bring anyone up it should be one of those two, let Leblanc continue his great season and look at calling him up closer to the end of the year. Last thing he needs at this point in time is another failed stint in Montreal... the timing has to be right because his next chance could be his last (With the habs). Forget about size, Leblanc may be a bit bigger, but he lacks the impressive skill both Thomas and Andrighetto bring.

It is moot however, the Habs don't need to bring anyone up at this point in time.The top 9 is crowded as it is.

• Upvote 1

The top 9 is terrible the way it is, but it's not as bad as the entire defensive effort, if I was Leblanc, I would want to stay in Hamilton for now.......

Leblanc isn't ready to be brought up and throw into the fire... especially when the Habs are searching for scoring. Leblanc isn't the answer to that question and it will only put undue pressure on him. Sven A (hah!) and Christian Thomas are both natural goal scorers. If the habs bring anyone up it should be one of those two, let Leblanc continue his great season and look at calling him up closer to the end of the year. Last thing he needs at this point in time is another failed stint in Montreal... the timing has to be right because his next chance could be his last (With the habs). Forget about size, Leblanc may be a bit bigger, but he lacks the impressive skill both Thomas and Andrighetto bring.

It is moot however, the Habs don't need to bring anyone up at this point in time.The top 9 is crowded as it is.

Christian Thomas is injured and has played less than 10 games this season, and you want to call him up?

• 3 weeks later...

Another relatively small softish forward is what Leblanc is as well, no?

Dumont is smaller but tougher/more grit than Pacioretty, Bourque and many other Habs..

Blunden is a solid checker and as far as outplaying him by miles? Don't see it that way, same points in fewer games (and Blunden cant score a lick in NHL), a better +/-, much bigger, more experienced, hard worker game in and out, defends against top AHL opposition and plays key situations.

Also, how much has Bournival been playing lately? You really want Leblanc to join him in pressbox or stapled to the bench?

Why now, wouldn't LL be better playing AHL till injuries force their hand, same as Pateryn/Tinordi? Or at least until LL is a "stand out" in minors.

Let's face it: Blunden is a total waste of time. Let's play a youngster.

Let's face it: Blunden is a total waste of time. Let's play a youngster.

Not sure what total waste of time means, but if looking for a 6'4" checker who has basically same offense Leblanc will bring, who also finishs his checks (unlike a certain Bourque fellow) and is sound defensively Blunden is it.

if you are looking to the future, Blunden nor Dumont (who also is a smart option) are not in Bergevin's longterm plan, but at the present those 2 are best option to help current team.

Beaulieu and Leblanc are both underpowered and get knocked off the puck in the minors and will be no different in NHL, both need more time in weight room. Even Tinordi was being pushed around by smallish NHLers and had his confidence beat up before being sent down.

But, if Beaulieu can add to the offense and fans don't freak out when he has MAB like turnovers and soft play in own end, than he may be a positive.

I would love to see Leblanc make an impact, but with 6-8minutes I doubt he will, but maybe he will be like Bournival was at start of season and created offense for himself and work his ass off.

But, I love Leblanc much more than either the Bourque-Parros option, that is for sure.