Jan. 2, Habs vs Stars, 8:30 PM

dlbalr

Kane isn't the player overall that Max is, personality is a lot in MTL, I don't see Kane as a huge upgrade over Eller either, as far as game smarts, skill, and the ability to play center, Eller is more of a complete player, with quite a high ceiling too, I wouldn't trade Eller for Kane either......Eller is a key piece for us going forward a year or two....and I don't think Kane has the mentality to handle the city....... ludicrous to trade either of these guys for Kane period. Plekanec and a pic would be top dollar for me.....Now Eller in a package for Taylor Hall? yeah.....

Kane isn't the player overall that Max is, personality is a lot in MTL, I don't see Kane as a huge upgrade over Eller either, as far as game smarts, skill, and the ability to play center, Eller is more of a complete player, with quite a high ceiling too, I wouldn't trade Eller for Kane either......Eller is a key piece for us going forward a year or two....and I don't think Kane has the mentality to handle the city....... ludicrous to trade either of these guys for Kane period. Plekanec and a pic would be top dollar for me.....Now Eller in a package for Taylor Hall? yeah.....

I like both Eberle and Hopkins moreso than Hall, but all 3 are equally super offensive young players and any would look sweet in Montreal.

But a big, good skating, low-maintenance, hard working and still improving centre in Eller would be hard to part with.....but if return is big than I would consider trading anyone.

The thing about Kane is more about Winnipeg. Winnipeg is a franchise that should be better than they are and should look better than what they are but they have a crappy coach and one of the worst starters in the NHL. They are trying to rebuild and clearly need to let go of a young, extremely skilled winger with a long term contract. If they don't trade him for a player of equal value (like a Pacioretty) or a package that makes them better, they are not going to pull the trigger.

We're not getting him for Collberg and a salary dump. The team that gets Kane is going to have to overpay or else Winnipeg will just hold onto him and continue treading water. Are you ready to overpay? Are you ready to offer a young roster player, a decent prospect or two and a first round pick? If you're not, you're not getting him. And even that might not depending on what Winnipeg thinks of our players.

To me, it'd take a package like Eller, Bournival, Dietz and a first to get Kane and even that might be off.

I agree. Why do fans think they can package three or four mediocre pieces and get a quality player? Especially with the 50 contract limit, the trades today are mostly 1-1 or 3-2.

There's no way we get Kane for Gorges, a pick, and a b-level prospect. The reasoning behind those proposals is laughable. Evander Kane would cost Plekanec and Tinordi, or Plekanec and a first. Fans everywhere think they can package spare parts and picks to get superstars. Someone back home argued with me over the Bruins getting Keith Yandle for Boychuck, Malcolm Subban, Caron, and a first. Hey, that's great! Everyone you don't want, for someone who makes the team infinitely better! Fan proposals rule! This might work out in the case of someone like the Rick Nash trade, but their GM waited to long to pull the trigger and they were in rebuilding mode.

Man are you crazy! LOL. You wouldn't trade Lars Eller for a thirty, potential forty goal scorer? With the logjam we have in the middle, I would trade Eller for a TWENTY goal scorer.

Man are you crazy! LOL. You wouldn't trade Lars Eller for a thirty, potential forty goal scorer? With the logjam we have in the middle, I would trade Eller for a TWENTY goal scorer.

will you still that when eller has 25 goals at the end of this season?

• Upvote 1

Habs29 never suggested getting Kane for spare parts. He always had Plekanec as the centrepiece of a package deal. We'd be giving Peg one of the best two-way players in all of hockey. I agree that he alone wouldn't be enough, but yeah, something like Pleks + Gorges (whatever) would instantly stabilize their roster and probably vault them into the playoffs. So I don't see Habs29 as falling into the usual trap of XBox GMing. Anyway, it ain't gonna happen. Briere for Stafford is a vastly more believable scenario.

Eller: how about thinking of him as a potential Jordan Staal? Does that seem realistic?

Habs29 never suggested getting Kane for spare parts. He always had Plekanec as the centrepiece of a package deal. We'd be giving Peg one of the best two-way players in all of hockey. I agree that he alone wouldn't be enough, but yeah, something like Pleks + Gorges (whatever) would instantly stabilize their roster and probably vault them into the playoffs. So I don't see Habs29 as falling into the usual trap of XBox GMing. Anyway, it ain't gonna happen. Briere for Stafford is a vastly more believable scenario.

Eller: how about thinking of him as a potential Jordan Staal? Does that seem realistic?

Hopefully not in terms of his contract. 6 million this year for twenty points, Rutherford lost his mind with that deal!

Rutherford is desperate.

I meant in terms of player profile. If Eller becomes Jordan Staal II, is that, first, realistic, and second, satisfactory?

Yes and yes. Actually I think Eller has more offensive potential (maybe just a Hab-bias thing).

Rutherford is desperate.

I meant in terms of player profile. If Eller becomes Jordan Staal II, is that, first, realistic, and second, satisfactory?

I think this is very realistic and is why I would hesitate to move him except for a big return. Maybe for Kane, depending on all the pieces.

I think Eller may turn out to be better than Jordan Stall. Eller's development arc has been longer and we are still seeing improvement, so I don't think we are seeing Eller at his full potential yet. Too many people are getting hung up on his age and the fact that he has been in the league 4 years.

Bottom line is that he is still putting things together and belonged in Hamilton his first year. Let's not forget Toronto dumped Steen and while he had a steady progression over the last 4 years, he didn't truly breakout until this year.

Frankly, with both stall and Eller, we aren't seeing the final player yet. Both had their development stalled in how they were brought along. Eller more so, since he needed to learn to have confidence in himself and mental toughness. Stall because his role in Pittsburgh was always 3rd line centre behind two if the best players in hockey, and now he is expected to be the guy.

I wouldn't include Eller in a deal, because I see him as being a 2nd line centre that can get 65 to 80 points in the future - if he is playing with the right complementary players. Galchenyuk should be the first line centre with 75 to 90 point potential. The ceiling for both will be dictated on how the game is going to be called. Will the NHL continue allowing more interference and trapping, or have refs call a game that allows more offence.

Rutherford is desperate.

Wow, fun game! Kinda like the old days before overcoaching and super-scientific goaltending ruined everything.

I've been uneasy with Price for a little while now, because he seemed to be sliding around in his crease more - always a sure sign that he's slipping. This game took it up a notch and saw him flailing around, saved on a couple of occasions by fantastic efforts by Gorges. I think when things go wrong, Price tries too hard. Waite needs to settle him down and get back to fundamentals.

What a game by PK. Holy crap! Superstar stuff. I love the theory that he's heard the decision from Yzerman and has the pressure off. I can believe it.

Desharnais and Patches were unreal tonight. Just dominant. Watching DD out there, you can't believe he's the same bozo who stunk it up for the first 20 games. When he plays like this, he is a legit top-6 centreman in the NHL, like it or not. And Gally - such a great player. If I had a hockey-playing son, I would tell him to watch Gallagher and play like that.

This was a game where the core refused to lose.

We didn't miss the Hero of the Quebec Nation for one minute out there, that's for sure.

I have and I do :)