Habs at the Olympics discussion

dlbalr

Really? you don't think with Price in net and Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf as our first 3 shooters we wouldn't be ok? Come on now, there is no team scarier in every facet of the game at this tournament than Canada, none, it is once again our tournament to trip over our own feet at, or we win it.

As far as the goalies go, I say Price should go in, because frankly everyone was sold that he was our starter, and it was his job to lose. I don't see how anyone loses a starter job at any level of hockey with a .950 sv%. Both of them were solid, Luongo was slightly more solid, but as long as your designated starter for the tournament doesn't play poorly, there is no reason to change anything. Last time around, Brodeur played poorly against the US, Luongo got in and stole it, this time Price lets in one goal, looked very solid except for one 4 second window, hardly the same scenario.

As far as PK goes, he is the 7th d-man in my books, you let him play the PP, you give him 10 min or so of 5 on 5, and if the team needs a goal and there is a PP chance, i'm much happier knowing we have PK in the mix over Hamuis. PK can't really do any damage in 10 min of 5 on 5, but he can be the difference between a goal or none on the PP at any given time.

Outside of the Habs at olympics, anyone else disturbed by Kunitz still being in the lineup after 2 games? i'm also wondering why none of the brass has used a past connection of when Bergeron and Crosby tore up the WJC together on the same line to put them together again. Kunitz was a nice try but obviously he doesn't belong on the big ice, being counted on at the olympics to be a performing winger.

I prefer Price to Luongo in general, but not in a shootout. Price isn't that great in the shootout.

While Kunitz hasn't been great, I am not sure why Crosby gets away with his weak play. He was terrible in Vancouver and if not for the so called golden goal would have gone down like Ovie did as an Olympic bust. So far, he looks like a bust again. At some point, it isn't the linemates.

It's too soon to explode on anyone's head, but I agree that this mollycoddling of Crosby needs to stop. He's billed as the Best Player on Earth and here's our brain trust wringing its hands over "finding a winger who can play with him." Last I checked, the best players are supposed to make other players better, not crap out because of their linemates. Suck it up, Sid, and start bringing it.

It's too soon to explode on anyone's head, but I agree that this mollycoddling of Crosby needs to stop. He's billed as the Best Player on Earth and here's our brain trust wringing its hands over "finding a winger who can play with him." Last I checked, the best players are supposed to make other players better, not crap out because of their linemates. Suck it up, Sid, and start bringing it.

That's right, just put Crosby on 4th line or let him be 13th forward!...no.... scratch Crosby for Duchene.

But Babcock is an idiot so wont ever happen.

I prefer Price to Luongo in general, but not in a shootout. Price isn't that great in the shootout.

While Kunitz hasn't been great, I am not sure why Crosby gets away with his weak play. He was terrible in Vancouver and if not for the so called golden goal would have gone down like Ovie did as an Olympic bust. So far, he looks like a bust again. At some point, it isn't the linemates.

Crosby had 7 points in 7 games in Vancouver.

The problem was that he racked up most of those points against weak opposition in the early games, and in Canada's three medal round games didn't get a single point until the "Golden Goal"

Maybe he's doing the opposite this time... not racking things up against Austria and Norway but will bring it in the tougher games. Lets hope.

If he scores in the big games, his one assist in two games against Austria and Norway will quickly be forgotten.

No, not disturbed by Kunitzs' play.

2 games pretty small sample and were only playing maybe a poor AHL calibre teams.

Simply haven't noticed him make bad plays, but really haven't noticed him standout at all, good nor bad.

problem is the sample size isn't going to get much bigger, Sunday will be the half way point of this olympic journey possibly, if players haven't got their butts in gear by then, changes need to be made, if Kunitz doesn't start making the brass look smart for picking him as Crosby's wing man, he has to go, Guys like Duschene should not be sitting out in his favor at that point.

problem is the sample size isn't going to get much bigger, Sunday will be the half way point of this olympic journey possibly, if players haven't got their butts in gear by then, changes need to be made, if Kunitz doesn't start making the brass look smart for picking him as Crosby's wing man, he has to go, Guys like Duschene should not be sitting out in his favor at that point.

I love Duchenes' game and he is one fast and skilled player, but Kunitz has done great in last 2 years or so.

What I meant was that the first 2 games were basically "practice" games and might not mean dick-all how any specific player looked in those games. Time change and travel factored in at least the first game I would assume, some adapted better than others?

Well, Price is the goalie. Clearly Babcock is going with the guy doing better lately in goal.

PK us in the pressbox with Hamhuis back in. I personally think that is stupid.

Crosby won't be playing with Kunitz, but St. Louis gets the box. I thought the only reason Kunitz was on the team was because of the chemistry with Crosby. If that isn't working, how is he better than St. Louis?

Well, Price is the goalie. Clearly Babcock is going with the guy doing better lately in goal.

PK us in the pressbox with Hamhuis back in. I personally think that is stupid.

Crosby won't be playing with Kunitz, but St. Louis gets the box. I thought the only reason Kunitz was on the team was because of the chemistry with Crosby. If that isn't working, how is he better than St. Louis?

So the Norris and Art Ross winners are in the press box. Classic Canadian management.

Is it just me, or has the quality of play not passed muster? The big ice is supposed to be about speed and plays, but that's not what I've seen at all. It seems that the trap rules the day and the play overall is very defensively oriented. There's no physical element to the game, and 5 v 5 is sleep inducing.

The real test will be today against the first real competition. Not sure I am leaving PK and St. Louis in the press box. At least on the bench you can go to them off the offence is struggling or we are down a couple. Instead, we will have Hamhuis waiting to take a defensive shift....

So the Norris and Art Ross winners are in the press box. Classic Canadian management.

Is it just me, or has the quality of play not passed muster? The big ice is supposed to be about speed and plays, but that's not what I've seen at all. It seems that the trap rules the day and the play overall is very defensively oriented. There's no physical element to the game, and 5 v 5 is sleep inducing.

Russian vs USA has been best game, but also only 'real' game between 2 top teams so far.

Can vs Fin may be better one I hope.

You know us Canadians, we like to give the opposition a fair chance and don't want to beat em too badly, so maybe is just arrogance that Babcock is saying we can beat you, with 2 of best players on the planet sitting. :canada:

The real test will be today against the first real competition. Not sure I am leaving PK and St. Louis in the press box. At least on the bench you can go to them off the offence is struggling or we are down a couple. Instead, we will have Hamhuis waiting to take a defensive shift....

Who is Dan Hamhuis anyways? The last I've heard about him was during the 2011 SCF. He's a nobody. Pretty dumb to worry about complementary players in such a short tournament.

I'd have sat Vlasic today and have Hamhuis move into his 3rd pair spot with Subban getting a second look at the #7 spot. Then you'd have two games with which to evaluate Hamhuis, Vlasic, and Subban for the final two spots before deciding what to do for the quarters.

It hasn't been a good day for several Habs so far...

Subban - healthy scratch

Budaj - healthy scratch (and the 3rd stringer played...quite well)

Pacioretty - healthy scratch

It amazes me that Hamhuis, at 15 points and a plus 7, 40th in points among Canadian defenseman in points is considered ahead of PK at 39 points and plus 6, third among Canadian D.

All we hear about is PK being a defensive liability, but Hamhuis isn't? Weber has struggled defensively this year, but no matter.

It seems to me that the establishment just doesn't like PK as a person because there is no reason to treat him this way based on hockey performance. I am so tired of listening to all the BS excuses given. Worried about him on the big ice? He played his entire jr. Career on International ice and he is a fantastic skater. I mean, that is the stupidest excuse I have ever heard.

Sorry, but needed to rant. Don't get me started on St. Louis....

I really like Dan Hamhuis as a player - he's one of the best #2 defencemen in the game. But the choice of him over Subban has nothing to do with anything but the Old Boy ideology that dominates hockey circles. These clowns probably would have left Paul Coffey off the 1987 team as well.

By the way... Notice that St. Louis and PK are the two guys on the team based on overwhelming fan pressure. Makes you wonder if the brain trust is just being resentful of the pressure and determined to ensure neither guy can make an impact. Imagine PK and St. Louis making huge contributions.... Media would be all over the story about how,they weren't even wanted...

Very tricky game for Canada. There's no question which is the better team, but the score is only 1-0. The longer the score stays close, the greater the chances of the Finns popping one in and maybe stealing the game. The good news is that Canada appears to be cohering as a team and getting a feel for the big ice.

EDIT: and there we go. A perfect offensive play - Price had no chance - and it's 1-1.

So...we are having trouble scoring...far too much passing and not enough sniping and point shots....

Several defensive mistakes and it is tied at one. Lucky Price made a big save at the end to keep it tied.

Boys better start getting pucks to the net.

I guess no team likes to give Carey Price goal support. Price had no chance on that goal. Canada has to bury one soon. This exactly how Finland wants it. Bably outplayed but still sticking around