PTS Thomas Vanek (54)
+/- Tomas Plekanec (+10)
PIMS Brandon Prust (121)
Injuries: Michael Bournival (cond.), Josh Gorges
Scratches: Rene Bourque, Douglas Murray, George Parros, Ryan White

Puck Drop: 7:30 PM EST TV: RDS, TSN Habs Radio: TSN 690 FM 98.5

Guest Stogey24

Bourque scratched again, poor guy. :D

I do like the depth of this team though. Its something we've lacking for a long time. If Vanek and Pac start scoring again this team could make a run. Holding down a top 3 spot will be huge for this team. We just need Pac to get hot at the right time. Any minute he's going to start scoring again.

With Duchene-MacKinnon-OReily-Landeskog-Stastny, the Aves are strong up front, but are weak on backend, which is a 'fun' mix and doubt this game will be boring.

Duchene-MacKinnon can simply fly and can be worth price of admission some nights.

I thought Aves would fade, but goaltending has been good.

Flipping Gally and Gionta was something I never thought Therrien would ever do. But seeing Gallagher and Plekanec together, that could work better than we thought.

I'd much rather see Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher and Briere - Eller - Gionta but baby steps.

Guest Stogey24

Flipping Gally and Gionta was something I never thought Therrien would ever do. But seeing Gallagher and Plekanec together, that could work better than we thought.

I'd much rather see Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher and Briere - Eller - Gionta but baby steps.

Its seems like Galchenyuk has regressed some what this year. His plus minus had taken a beating

Its seems like Galchenyuk has regressed some what this year. His plus minus had taken a beating

His plus minus might be taking a beating but that's a linemate stat. If this team was scoring lots (like they did last year) the +/- of everyone would look better.

Galchenyuk as a player might also be scoring at less of a pace than last season but his play is much, much better. He's getting dynamic.

Guest Stogey24

His role hasn't expanded much, which is a huge disappointment. Reminds me of Iron Mike playing Joe Thornton 5 minutes a night his rookie year.

Exactly. This kid is the future.

I watched the interview with St Patrick, he sounds very impressive as a coach. I was one who said we should not hire him buuuuut I think maybe we made a mistake. Who knows. There is the fact that he wanted a whole lot more control than most coaches get, but it sure seems to have worked for the Avs who nobody picked to make the playoffs. just goes to show that a good coach can make a real difference. Now lets go beat their asses. :gohabsgo: :gohabsgo:

I though the Avs would fade too and I didnt consider Varlamov to be a particular strength in goal but with Roy as coach it was pretty foolish of me in hindsight no to figure that goaltending would be a strong suit.

I know the colorado D is mostly a bunch on no name except Johnson but McGuire was saying they re a seriously underrated bunch.

Should be a great game, fingers crossed for Vanek.

Not given a chance to play an important role.

Chucky has been electric when he's been given the opportunity.

It's ridiculous the limited time he is getting.

Not given a chance to play an important role.

Chucky has been electric when he's been given the opportunity.

A big issue with Therrien is the dodgy progression of young players this season. I don't see how even his defenders can deny that issue.

Roy as coach: like I keep saying, he ALSO wanted to be GM. Anyone wistfully wishing we'd hired him is overlooking that. I won't look back and say we made a mistake until Roy has proven to be a good general manager.

I love St Patrick, but I hate in when old heroes come back to Montreal, no doubt to get a massive ovation. Don't care for those divided loyalties.

Yes.

He should play at least 1 minute each PP.

He is the most talented offensive player.

Reminds me a lot of the Bruins and Seguin, but at least they gave Seguin a shot on the second line with two 45-65 point players. When Seguin went down to the third line in the playoffs last year he did diddlysquat.

A big issue with Therrien is the dodgy progression of young players this season. I don't see how even his defenders can deny that issue.

Roy as coach: like I keep saying, he ALSO wanted to be GM. Anyone wistfully wishing we'd hired him is overlooking that. I won't look back and say we made a mistake until Roy has proven to be a good general manager.

I love St Patrick, but I hate in when old heroes come back to Montreal, no doubt to get a massive ovation. Don't care for those divided loyalties.

I did not forget the fact that he wanted more control at all. What I said was it appears to be working for the avs and his results are quite spectacular.

The Avs' group of young forwards is the envy of the league. Roy is proving to be a very effective first-year coach (I make this distinction because he may be the type whose shelf life is short), but his savvy as a GM remains to be seen.

habs rule, that's fair enough, but the sample size for assessing Roy as GM is even smaller than the sample for assessing Zoot Suit. We just don't know if he is a decent GM, and enthusiasm over his (undoubtedly excellent) coaching tends to overlook this second half of his job description.

Interesting to read that Roy's philosophy is that his players can do whatever they want in the attacking zone provided they backcheck. Speaking as a guy who believes the NHL is chronically overcoached, I'm pretty confident that the blossoming of his young guns is closely related to this philosophy. There's a lesson here for all the other idiots wearing NHL suits IMHO.

It's ridiculous the limited time he is getting.

Indeed. We struggle to score goals every night, and we have a real sparkplug with an elite offensive skill set, on the bench. This to me is MT's biggest failure, Galchenyuk's development progression this season.

Interesting to read that Roy's philosophy is that his players can do whatever they want in the attacking zone provided they backcheck. Speaking as a guy who believes the NHL is chronically overcoached, I'm pretty confident that the blossoming of his young guns is closely related to this philosophy. There's a lesson here for all the other idiots wearing NHL suits IMHO.

I agree. On l'AC he came across very well, and seemed to be emphasizing what he didn't do; after games, for instance, he wouldn't go into the room, saying that that was the players' time. He would also get a lot of feedback from his young players. It doesn't seem like MT does much of that.

I think part of the reason Roy is coaching so well is because he was a quick tempered player with a lot of passion who knew exactly what he needed. I wonder how many times as a player Roy thought "the coach should be doing this."

Roy himself is the type of player that would be hard to control (Ala pk). I think Roy would understand pk and the young guns MUCH better than Therrien, because he's been in their shoes as a high profile star. He knows what would have worked best for him, and probably applies that to how he coaches

Guest Stogey24

I think part of the reason Roy is coaching so well is because he was a quick tempered player with a lot of passion who knew exactly what he needed. I wonder how many times as a player Roy thought "the coach should be doing this."

Roy himself is the type of player that would be hard to control (Ala pk). I think Roy would understand pk and the young guns MUCH better than Therrien, because he's been in their shoes as a high profile star. He knows what would have worked best for him, and probably applies that to how he coaches

Yeah, that's a good point

I want to see how Roy does next year before I judge him. The new cop on the beat has it easier than the old cop on the beat.

I agree with this too though. I mean a lot of us hated the Therrien hire, and then he actually had a really good short season. He actually looked to be making good moves. Fast forward and a lot of us are calling for his head again :P Despite his winning record! And I'll admit I've criticized him quite a bit.