Habs qualify Subban, Eller, Nattinen; release White, Czarnik, Delmas

dlbalr

Stortini was gone all of last year too (thank goodness). Barring no further depth being added, I think Nevins makes the team. My preference is that he'd start in Wheeling so that he can work a bit on his all-around game rather than just becoming a six minute a game player right off the hop.

Pray it doesn't come to that. :) He'd have to sign an NHL contract first and even then, they'd probably have to go through their tough guy forwards in Hamilton first.

I think it is a long shot that he ever gets to NHL, however he is probably our only true heavy weight at this time. To Icewater's point, because of the shear numbers, I do think you could see him as the seventh D playing on the fourth line in Hamilton. I have always coveted a titan standing in front of the net, much like Chara does, on the power play. Wonder how he is at tipping pucks?Ha Ha. Think you guys are running out of things to talk about.

I think it is a long shot that he ever gets to NHL, however he is probably our only true heavy weight at this time. To Icewater's point, because of the shear numbers, I do think you could see him as the seventh D playing on the fourth line in Hamilton. I have always coveted a titan standing in front of the net, much like Chara does, on the power play. Wonder how he is at tipping pucks?Ha Ha. Think you guys are running out of things to talk about.

In Hamilton, sure Finley could (and probably should) be a fourth liner. As long as it's not in Montreal...

the dog days are getting the best of us..how about this:

does therrien stick to his guns or does he up subbans icetime to around 28 mins/game?

Subban struggled when he saw that much ice time last year, I can't see them trying to have him play that regularly. He's too aggressive of a player to be able to keep up his style of play for that many minutes a night.

In the regular season, Subban had 24;36 TOI/G (17th) with 19;17 ES TOI/G (14th) and 4:39 PP TOI/G (1st).

In the playoffs, Subban had 27:26 TOI/G (7th) with 21:19 ES TOI/G (7th) and 5:21 PP TOI/G (2nd by 0:01 to Goligoski).

I thought maybe Subban's minutes went up because Markov's went down but Markov played more ES TOI/G in the playoffs than regular season, just not as big of a jump as Subban. However, Markov's SH TOI/G went down by close to a minute in the playoffs. Though I think we just found ourselves in the box less in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

As for 28 min per game? Only one defenceman in the NHL averages that in the regular season and that's Ryan Suter (at a ridiculous 29 per game). Erik Karlsson is 2nd with 27 minutes. Campbell, Weber and Josi average in the 26 mark. Subban plays the most minutes for a guy rarely on the penalty kill with Keith Yandle next to him. But for guys who play four minutes plus on the PP? Only Karlsson, Larsson and Markov are ahead of him.

I think I'd rather see Subban in the 24-26 minute average than do something taxing like 28-29 minutes like Suter. Suter is, let's be honest, a more all around defenceman than Subban. I'd say he's a better defenceman overall than Subban but doesn't have Subban's game breaking ability.

I think if the playoffs will tell us anything, it's that Emelin is finally ready to be consistent. Last year we got a lot of icetime for Bouillon and Murray because of his injury. I think Weaver replaces Gorge's SH TOI/G, Gilbert adds an extra option to the PP, Emelin fills in Gorge's ES TOI/G with the rest filtering to Weaver and Gilbert.

It's starting to surprise me that we got Gilbert for as cheap as we did. Maybe those advanced stat nuts were right last year. Tom Gilbert could be a steal for us.

In the regular season, Subban had 24;36 TOI/G (17th) with 19;17 ES TOI/G (14th) and 4:39 PP TOI/G (1st).

In the playoffs, Subban had 27:26 TOI/G (7th) with 21:19 ES TOI/G (7th) and 5:21 PP TOI/G (2nd by 0:01 to Goligoski).

I thought maybe Subban's minutes went up because Markov's went down but Markov played more ES TOI/G in the playoffs than regular season, just not as big of a jump as Subban. However, Markov's SH TOI/G went down by close to a minute in the playoffs. Though I think we just found ourselves in the box less in the playoffs compared to the regular season.

Subban's playoff minutes also went up because of overtimes. The Habs played roughly 51 minutes of OT. Subban plays roughly 42-45% of the ice time, which is around 22 minutes (a round estimate). That's a jump of about 1:18 per game over his regular season number, which covers nearly half of that boost in TOI right there. That won't happen during the regular season, which is another reason I can't see him averaging 28 minutes a night.

Even at current icetime, Subban looked gassed at times and then just lazily dumped puck up the middle for creampuff turnovers.

So doubt increasing it would be a big boost.

Even at current icetime, Subban looked gassed at times and then just lazily dumped puck up the middle for creampuff turnovers.

So doubt increasing it would be a big boost.

Biggest thing for me is ES TOI/G. Emelin played 16:56 last season in 59 games. He will probably play a little more (0:30) next season to bump him up to Gorges numbers. We had Cube and Diaz in that 15-16 minutes per ES a game. Those minutes will now goto Tom Gilbert, and Gilbert can comfortably play 18 minutes of even strength per game. That gives us Subban/Markov/Emelin/Gilbert as a top four instead of Subban/Markov/Gorges/Emelin. Seeing as Gilbert can actually play offence, that's a big win for us on even strength.

I think we could see this as the D pairings:

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Gilbert

I like that.

Carey Price will get tossed under the bus and backed over if he even is mediocre in pre-season or 2 bad games in a row.

He will always carry most pressure of any Hab.

new topic:

is there any other player (besides subban obviously) under more pressure than alex galchenyuk? pretty sure everyone is hoping he explodes for 80+ pts this year and 100+ for the next decade or so..

I'd say Desharnais and Eller to start. Subban also.

Galchenyuk is playing left wing with Plekanec and second power play. Expectations should be tempered. Top left wingers in this league hit 60+ points. The guys behind them between 50-60. I'll be happy with 40-50, ecstatic with anything more.

I don't see the Tyler Seguin scenario happening with him and expecting such is silly. The most important thing is for him to average more than 13 minutes per game.

good point. thank goodness carey price has nerves of steel and isn't afraid to tell media + fans to chill out

I would say is similar to whomever has to replace Derek Jeter on the Yanks! Better have thick skin.

Galchenyuk is playing left wing with Plekanec and second power play. Expectations should be tempered. Top left wingers in this league hit 60+ points. The guys behind them between 50-60. I'll be happy with 40-50, ecstatic with anything more.

I don't see the Tyler Seguin scenario happening with him and expecting such is silly. The most important thing is for him to average more than 13 minutes per game.

Exactly! Galchenyuk doesn't need unrealistic expectations put on him yet, and it's so unrealistic to think he should get more than 50 pts this year, learning under Plek's wing. I'd rather him learn the game both ways well, because with the tools he has, the offense will come....

As for 28 min per game? Only one defenceman in the NHL averages that in the regular season and that's Ryan Suter (at a ridiculous 29 per game). Erik Karlsson is 2nd with 27 minutes. Campbell, Weber and Josi average in the 26 mark. Subban plays the most minutes for a guy rarely on the penalty kill with Keith Yandle next to him. But for guys who play four minutes plus on the PP? Only Karlsson, Larsson and Markov are ahead of him.

I think I'd rather see Subban in the 24-26 minute average than do something taxing like 28-29 minutes like Suter. Suter is, let's be honest, a more all around defenceman than Subban. I'd say he's a better defenceman overall than Subban but doesn't have Subban's game breaking ability.

I think if the playoffs will tell us anything, it's that Emelin is finally ready to be consistent. Last year we got a lot of icetime for Bouillon and Murray because of his injury. I think Weaver replaces Gorge's SH TOI/G, Gilbert adds an extra option to the PP, Emelin fills in Gorge's ES TOI/G with the rest filtering to Weaver and Gilbert.

It's starting to surprise me that we got Gilbert for as cheap as we did. Maybe those advanced stat nuts were right last year. Tom Gilbert could be a steal for us.

Gilbert is a good player. I've seen him play down here 15-20 times. He's steady, not overly physical, but he can put up offense. He never got much credit because of the teams and that no part of his game stands out more than the rest. Now if he had a slap shot like Garrison...

new topic:

is there any other player (besides subban obviously) under more pressure than alex galchenyuk? pretty sure everyone is hoping he explodes for 80+ pts this year and 100+ for the next decade or so..

I don't think Galchenyuk has the same pressure as other top picks because of the success the Habs have enjoyed of late.

But if he doesn't start "turning into something" this year fans will get antsy. Unlike Eller, when Galchenyuk is cold he still looks good. Others have commented on his defensive zone play, I don't know a whole lot about that, but you can always see the talent. Eller on the other hand, when he's cold, he can stink out the place like a dog that got into the garbage.

I doubt Galchenyuk will see the puck as much as he'd like while playing with Plekanics... that line is always matched up against the opponents top line. Eller and Bourque may be more suitable linemates.

He looked fine in the playoffs on Plekanec's wing against the Rangers. Heck he was one of our best forwards.

Galchenyuk looked good - pleks didn't.

He looked fine in the playoffs on Plekanec's wing against the Rangers. Heck he was one of our best forwards.

Galchenyuk was our best forward in the ecf, but don't forget he missed the boston series. that was a fn rough series both ways. it's no secret that there was little gas left during the rangers series.

Galchenyuk was our best forward in the ecf, but don't forget he missed the boston series. that was a fn rough series both ways. it's no secret that there was little gas left during the rangers series.

Bingo.

That Boston series was crazy, and I doubt either team was destined to go very far in the next round regardless of who won. Unfortunately. It makes for fabulous hockey, but frankly we are better off not getting that match-up. Those are killing fields out there.

new topic:

I'd rather see him hit 80+ points after he signs a new contract, and to keep it under 50 before then. :P